• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

Story Wednesday February 22, 2017

Despite what Dan said last Wednesday, I really have a hard time believing Tedd's body hasn't been changing over the course of this conversation, especially from panels four and five...

13 minutes ago, WR...S said:

Despite what Dan said last Wednesday, I really have a hard time believing Tedd's body hasn't been changing over the course of this conversation, especially from panels four and five...

Give the man a break. He has been ill. o.O

And suddenly certain things click, like one reason I like Elliot so much.  In him, I see a small reflection of my son.

A story, by way of explanation:

My son is 19.  Lives with me now, but when he was living with his mom, there was a girl he dated towards the end of middle school.  That ended when her folks moved her to another school precisely because they (being pretentious religious jackasses) didn't approve of him.

High school comes along and he finds himself back in the same school as her.  By this time, she's started to try to sort out identity issues and has a fairly serious girlfriend.  To my son, this is no big deal; the only part that weirds him out at all is that he is the one his ex comes to for relationship advice, and being a friend he listens.  I got the impression he may have been one of a very few who did that.

Advance a couple of years.  My son's ex is still with the same girlfriend (partly due to having my son as a good listener), but has realized that he (here's where I'm changing pronouns) is trans.  Again, my son doesn't bat an eyelash; he just goes on supporting his friend.  

So the last panel on today's comic  -- that hits home in an unexpected way.  A good way.  

Welcome, robmobz!  May it be the first of many posts.  :-)

Now, here's hoping Tedd can use this acceptance to find the strength to talk to his father, and that his father is equally unconditionally accepting once he knows what's going on....

Two guys who had a lot of experience as girls. You know there is practically no difference.

2 hours ago, robmobz said:

(this is what got me to finally make an account, I've been lurking for a few months.)

Welcome to the forums. Care for some fish and chips and TF Soda?

2 hours ago, robmobz said:

Ok, that's it.  Elliot is the best friend, no argument is possible.  (this is what got me to finally make an account, I've been lurking for a few months.)

It's nice to see a moment like this bring fans out of the woodwork. ;)

I think this is another one of those full circle moments in that it might be a call back to when Elliot first saved Tedd from Tony and how Elliot initially thought Tedd was a girl, back then Tedd told Grace that he wore the glasses because he worried about how Elliot would react. I guess even after a year and all that's happened Tedd was still insecure about how Elliot would react to Tedd being a girl.

What bothers me though...If Voltaire is watching (he seems to have a habit of doing so) he's not going to like it, if he wants Tedd to be traumatized, he's either going to have to risk the unending voices in his head for breaking his vow and get Elliot killed, or something else.

The only thing I could think of for the something else, sadly involves manipulating Edward into being or appearing more transphobic, driving the wedge between them even deeper.

Earlier, I commented that we as a society demand too many life defining choices from young people in High School.  It would be just like Elliot to view Tedd's current dilemma as just another choice that demands an irrevocable answer immediately.  It may define who Tedd will be later, but who Tedd is now hasn't changed a bit.  And the later Tedd will be whoever grows from the present Tedd.  Present Tedd is Elliot's friend.  Later Tedd will almost certainly be Elliot's friend unless a lot more than this particular choice comes between them.

Oh, and Robmobz?  Welcome to the Moperville-adjacent community.  Population, lots and lots of Bunnies.  Be sure to stop by the Dread Gazebo near the Manly Squirrel Statue.  Akiko is serving deserts.  Try to get there early, before everyone else takes all of Mrs Dunkle's Brownies.

24 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Now, here's hoping Tedd can use this acceptance to find the strength to talk to his father, and that his father is equally unconditionally accepting once he knows what's going on....

I doubt that Tedd's father would be so accepting of it right off the bat. I mean, this comic should be plenty of evidence to that. If he really did know and understand what gender fluid is, he would have put two and two together by now, just like most of Tedd's other friends did. At best, he's going to need some time to understand and get used to the change, and that isn't an easy change to come to terms with.

But either way, we can at least agree that Tedd's dad has to know at some point; Tedd can't keep avoiding it forever.

Forgive me if I'm repeating something through brain fog, but I think Tedd's main worry was that his gender-fluidity would weird out his best friend. When he learns that Elliot supports him no matter what, and in fact expects it given Tedd's explanation, Tedd breaks down and goes into "Thank the Maker" hug mode.

I pity the potentially judgmental fool who accidentally stumbles across the two of them (unless it's Ashley).

4 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Forgive me if I'm repeating something through brain fog, but I think Tedd's main worry was that his gender-fluidity would weird out his best friend. When he learns that Elliot supports him no matter what, and in fact expects it given Tedd's explanation, Tedd breaks down and goes into "Thank the Maker" hug mode.

I pity the potentially judgmental fool who accidentally stumbles across the two of them (unless it's Ashley).

I think Dan will give them this one.

I'm really proud of Elliot here.  I want to be that casually accepting when I grow up....

12 hours ago, Stormtalon42 said:

My son is 19.  Lives with me now, but when he was living with his mom, there was a girl he dated towards the end of middle school.  That ended when her folks moved her to another school precisely because they (being pretentious religious jackasses) didn't approve of him.

High school comes along and he finds himself back in the same school as her.  By this time, she's started to try to sort out identity issues and has a fairly serious girlfriend.  To my son, this is no big deal; the only part that weirds him out at all is that he is the one his ex comes to for relationship advice, and being a friend he listens.  I got the impression he may have been one of a very few who did that.

Advance a couple of years.  My son's ex is still with the same girlfriend (partly due to having my son as a good listener), but has realized that he (here's where I'm changing pronouns) is trans.  Again, my son doesn't bat an eyelash; he just goes on supporting his friend.  

Did he told those pretentious religious jackasses they did a mistake? :) I mean, I would expect they approve the girlfriend even less.

12 hours ago, robmobz said:

Ok, that's it.  Elliot is the best friend, no argument is possible.  (this is what got me to finally make an account, I've been lurking for a few months.)

I still think Pandora had something else in mind.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

If Voltaire is watching (he seems to have a habit of doing so) he's not going to like it, if he wants Tedd to be traumatized, he's either going to have to risk the unending voices in his head for breaking his vow and get Elliot killed

I don't think he is that stupid. If he wouldn't already have better plan, he wouldn't do the vow in first place. Actually, he DOES have plan - the CM plan. Is already in progress and involves vampires and Adrian Raven.

Also, while I think he doesn't like this, I also think he's not surprised.

9 hours ago, TheAmazingKMan said:

I doubt that Tedd's father would be so accepting of it right off the bat. I mean, this comic should be plenty of evidence to that. If he really did know and understand what gender fluid is, he would have put two and two together by now, just like most of Tedd's other friends did. At best, he's going to need some time to understand and get used to the change, and that isn't an easy change to come to terms with.

He may do some "I don't understand but I support you anyway".

8 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I don't think Ashley would be judgemental. Or jealous.

6 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
9 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I don't think Ashley would be judgemental. Or jealous.

That's kind of what I meant to get at. She'd want to meet the crying girl and learn why Elliot's comforting her.

9 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

That's kind of what I meant to get at. She'd want to meet the crying girl and learn why Elliot's comforting her.

If Ashley has a good memory, she might remember she saw that purple-haired...girl?...guy?...sitting at the lunchtable when she had her talk with Susan about Bad Tom.

8 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

If Ashley has a good memory, she might remember she saw that purple-haired...girl?...guy?...sitting at the lunchtable when she had her talk with Susan about Bad Tom.

I also think that considering Tedd and Elliot are almost always together between classes, Ashley's likely seen the two of them even before her needing to warn Susan, like when Elliot got Ashley's phone back to her a couple days earlier.

13 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

If they know who Elliot is, they won't dare judge, at least not out loud.  If they don't know them, then they'd probably assume it's some guy comforting his girlfriend after bad news.

3 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Heck, if Tedd winds up staying a girl, Ashley would probably be totally okay with a threesome.  She'd likely be okay with it if Tedd stayed a guy, too, except that Elliot stated at some point that he's straight, and I haven't seen any sign of that changing; I don't see the Best Friends dynamic changing between Elliot and Tedd unless given a heck of a push.

(Give how Elliot sees Sarah as a sister, I suspect the two threesomes Tedd would then be in would not merge.... ;-)

10 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

If they know who Elliot is, they won't dare judge, at least not out loud.  If they don't know them, then they'd probably assume it's some guy comforting his girlfriend after bad news.

Heck, if Tedd winds up staying a girl, Ashley would probably be totally okay with a threesome.  She'd likely be okay with it if Tedd stayed a guy, too, except that Elliot stated at some point that he's straight, and I haven't seen any sign of that changing; I don't see the Best Friends dynamic changing between Elliot and Tedd unless given a heck of a push.

(Give how Elliot sees Sarah as a sister, I suspect the two threesomes Tedd would then be in would not merge.... ;-)

Elliot already told Tedd he loved him, but not in a romantic way, but it was similar to how he loved Sarah, which would mean that Elliot would consider Tedd a brother (or sister depending on what gender Tedd ends up deciding to stay as) so I don't think there's any chance of a canon relationship.

There's probably a bit of Westermarck effect going on there too--people who grow up together from early childhood have a mental block on seeing each other as sexually attractive. Evolutionary theory says that such a block exists to prevent excessive inbreeding by making us not want to mate with our siblings.