• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Story: Friday 24 Feb 2017

8 minutes ago, Dabat said:

Forgive me for asking about an acronym twice in one week, but JML?

It's mlooney. He used to go under the posting name of J. Michael Looney on the old forums before they crashed. He also has a mysterious Italian twin named Signor Mlunatico.

1 minute ago, The Old Hack said:

It's mlooney. He used to go under the posting name of J. Michael Looney on the old forums before they crashed. He also has a mysterious Italian twin named Signor Mlunatico.

Ooohhhhhh... Yeah, I was only on the old forums for a few weeks, so there was no way I would have remembered.

4 hours ago, WR...S said:

The minute I saw this strip, I felt like Dan had lit the JML signal...

*blink* What?
I'm not the shipper in charge you know.  I suspect I'm going to spend this weekend doing the web of shipping, With links to canon sources.  There are worse things to do.

4 hours ago, ijuin said:

There's a signal for that now?

Of course there is.

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Speaking  of which I need to do a longish post about his latest stuff.

3 hours ago, Dabat said:

Ooohhhhhh... Yeah, I was only on the old forums for a few weeks, so there was no way I would have remembered.

Hello, pleased to meet you.

10 minutes ago, mlooney said:

*blink* What?
I'm not the shipper in charge you know.

Yeah, but HarJIT is MIA, so you're up.

10 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I suspect I'm going to spend this weekend doing the web of shipping, With links to canon sources.  There are worse things to do.

...you were saying?

(Anyway, we em-spacers must stick together!  There are too few of us left.)

In my first pass over the strip, I thought Tedd might have stepped away from Elliot due to something she saw through her powers. There was, and is, a suspicious dearth of blush.

23 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

The thing is as Tedd mentioned earlier is that the quasi-magic Uryouom energy might not interact with humans the same after a magic reset, which could invalidate all Tedd's stored data.

Not invalidate. It will just make them harder to use. Invalidating would mean that the way humans are constructed would radically change, which I would assume would be outside the options of Will of magic even if it WANTED to do something so complicated.

22 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

If the EGSverse were the  real-world I'd say that I think it's quite improbable that the TFG's effect on humans would be altered.

However...

1) "quite improbable" and "impossible" are definitely not the same thing;

2) this is a work of fiction, and the rules of magic - heck, even the laws of physics - are whatever the author says they are and change the way the author says they change.

There are lot of ways the TFG effect can be altered which would make sense. For example, the duration can change very easily. It can start to hurt like the transformation belt. And the non-clone forms might have different results than it used to have, like FV5 might have different boob size when applied to woman. I agree that it will be quite improbable (meaning: Tedd would have good reason to suspect Will of Magic did it deliberately) for the TFG to stop working completely.

28 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

There are lot of ways the TFG effect can be altered which would make sense. For example, the duration can change very easily. It can start to hurt like the transformation belt. And the non-clone forms might have different results than it used to have, like FV5 might have different boob size when applied to woman. I agree that it will be quite improbable (meaning: Tedd would have good reason to suspect Will of Magic did it deliberately) for the TFG to stop working completely.

I do wonder though, even though the energy that the TFG uses is different than Magic, the fact that Tedd still refers to it's effects on humans as enchantments and that the forms can still be resisted, that maybe Tedd's insight works on that and all he'd need to do is fire the TFG at someone to see in what way it's incompatible and tweak the TFG to compensate.

If the gauntlet and watches were created by reverse engineering the TFG and modifying it to use Magic, then it really shouldn't be too difficult for Tedd to do it again.

19 minutes ago, Scotty said:
46 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I do wonder though, even though the energy that the TFG uses is different than Magic, the fact that Tedd still refers to it's effects on humans as enchantments and that the forms can still be resisted, that maybe Tedd's insight works on that and all he'd need to do is fire the TFG at someone to see in what way it's incompatible and tweak the TFG to compensate.

He would see that it's incompatible but not necessary how.

20 minutes ago, Scotty said:

If the gauntlet and watches were created by reverse engineering the TFG and modifying it to use Magic, then it really shouldn't be too difficult for Tedd to do it again.

However, I agree that it shouldn't be that hard for him to find out, considering his previous achievements.

(Based on this strip, he used observations of Elliot to find out how to use earth magic instead of uryuom technically magic - he combined what he learn "from" Elliot with what he know about TF Gun)

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

However, I agree that it shouldn't be that hard for him to find out, considering his previous achievements.

(Based on this strip, he used observations of Elliot to find out how to use earth magic instead of uryuom technically magic - he combined what he learn "from" Elliot with what he know about TF Gun)

Yeah, but before Elliot, Tedd was using the TFG on himself, and the one time he used it on Sarah, the belt was one of the first devices we saw of Tedd's and the transformation being painful implies that it was Tedd's first attempt to create a transformation device with what he learned working on the TFG. The origin of the gauntlet though...I'm not sure, technically the first time we see it is in Tedd's nightmare, but did he already have the guantlet or did the nightmare inspire him to build it thinking the nightmare meant something and that he needed it to protect himself and his friends.

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Yeah, but before Elliot, Tedd was using the TFG on himself, and the one time he used it on Sarah, the belt was one of the first devices we saw of Tedd's and the transformation being painful implies that it was Tedd's first attempt to create a transformation device with what he learned working on the TFG. The origin of the gauntlet though...I'm not sure, technically the first time we see it is in Tedd's nightmare,

Technically the first time we see it is here.

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Yeah, but before Elliot, Tedd was using the TFG on himself, and the one time he used it on Sarah, the belt was one of the first devices we saw of Tedd's and the transformation being painful implies that it was Tedd's first attempt to create a transformation device with what he learned working on the TFG.

I think that the belt uses uryuom technically magic. It might even be reason why it's painful. I think that creating watches (which are using Earth magic) is much easier.

7 minutes ago, Scotty said:

The origin of the gauntlet though...I'm not sure, technically the first time we see it is in Tedd's nightmare, but did he already have the guantlet or did the nightmare inspire him to build it thinking the nightmare meant something and that he needed it to protect himself and his friends.

I would assume it's more like inspiration. It's also possible that he was already building SOME gauntlet but he changed how it worked.

1 minute ago, The Old Hack said:

What's more important, TEDD sees it first here.

8 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

True. The rest of my statement still applies to our Tedd though.

4 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

What's more important, TEDD sees it first here.

Yep, I forgot that Tedd saw the picture that Beta Tedd sent over.

4 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I would assume it's more like inspiration. It's also possible that he was already building SOME gauntlet but he changed how it worked.

Well, he does have the glove that he uses to empower the watches, Tedd might have been in the process of designing that glove, or maybe the glove was the product of what he learned making the gauntlet?

18 minutes ago, Scotty said:
22 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Well, he does have the glove that he uses to empower the watches, Tedd might have been in the process of designing that glove, or maybe the glove was the product of what he learned making the gauntlet?

That glove would DEFINITELY be of later date, considering it's device obviously using earth magic and used to make other devices using earth magic.

The Uryuoms have made mention of the TF gun / CMD using "Object Oriented Programming" that is now not allowed on their homeworld. For Tedd, getting it to work with humans again should be as simple as figuring out how the new API works.

1 minute ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

The Uryuoms have made mention of the TF gun / CMD using "Object Oriented Programming" that is now not allowed on their homeworld. For Tedd, getting it to work with humans again should be as simple as figuring out how the new API works.

'Might' be. Not 'should.'

I agree that the latter is preferable. But I am not in an optimistic mood at the moment.

9 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Actually, the object oriented programming is only not allowed in combination with CMDs and similar devices.

Also, no: TF Gun does NOT work by directly manipulating real world objects. It's just that without object oriented programming, making clone forms would be too complicated.

I think that it's not object-oriented programming per se that the religious groups are objecting to so much as it is the creation of clone forms, since clone forms open a lot of avenues for abuse (e.g. impersonating somebody by using one). It's rather like prohibiting alcohol due to objections to drunken behavior--it's the consequence that is worrisome, and the cause is merely an enabler.

4 hours ago, ijuin said:

I think that it's not object-oriented programming per se that the religious groups are objecting to so much as it is...

Unless you were there in the 80s, you probably don't remember just how brutal the Cola Wars had become.  The Mac vs PC battle was likewise intense at times.  And American Express,for a while, worked hard to encourage retailers who accepted their cards to not also accept MasterCard and/or Visa.

Any of these could have spiraled out of control.  With fanatical supporters on each side demanding that everyone agree with them.  Those in the local majority would persecute the dissidents.  Those in the local minority would martyr themselves for their cause.

Imagine if the Pope declared the consumption of Pepsi to be a sin.

The Uryuom home world may have reached that state in their equivalent to the PC vs Mac wars, with one religious group choosing a side.  The leaders of the faith may have originally made the decision as a way to end the conflict among their own congregants. But if a zealous movement devoted to that doctrine developed among the disciples...

A lot of humans want to be told that it is good to hate, fight, and even kill other people, as long as those people are "X" or "Not Y".  Uryuom society may share that aspect of human insanity.