• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scotty

np
NP: Friday February 24, 2017

93 posts in this topic

Megahyperawesomeness: a veterinarian astronaut who trains dolphins in space! ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Megahyperawesomeness: a veterinarian astronaut who trains dolphins in space! ^_^

Yes, that was what the book was about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That got me thinking.  When we do (officially) encounter alien life forms that are in any way animal-like, we will probably go in with Veterinarians before Linguists.

CritterKeeper and mlooney like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

"Awesomeness" would cover being an astronaut, dolphin trainer, or veterinarian!  :-D

Hyper awesomeness would be all three at the same time. :)

I don't remember any dolphin trainer in that book. Dolphin astronauts, sure, but trainers?

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

That got me thinking.  When we do (officially) encounter alien life forms that are in any way animal-like, we will probably go in with Veterinarians before Linguists.

Personally, I find very unlikely we physically encounter intelligent/sapient alien life form before having radio or other long range contact with them. So, yes. Anything which didn't tried to communicate with technology - or, in worse case, try to shot us - before we got close enough to touch it will be assumed non-sapient until proved otherwise. Case in point, dolphins (and they tried to communicate with long-range ultrasound!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

That got me thinking.  When we do (officially) encounter alien life forms that are in any way animal-like, we will probably go in with Veterinarians before Linguists.

My occasional mental Mary Sue fanfic flashes in the Trek universe, I was a xenomed, basically a doctor who specializes in alien species.  I do believe that when dealing with alien life forms, a veterinarian specialized in exotics (a zoo vet, for example) would be a heck of a lot better choice than an MD who's only ever treated one species.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

 I do believe that when dealing with alien life forms, a veterinarian specialized in exotics (a zoo vet, for example) would be a heck of a lot better choice than an MD who's only ever treated one species.

I assume that in my SF games, for what it's worth.

I have a "prepper" friend who thinks that having a veterinarian in your "group" is a better option than a MD, or at least better than a MD who isn't a generalist.  A zoo vet would know about treating primates, which humans are, of course.  The vet could also treat your animals as well as the other members of the group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I don't remember any dolphin trainer in that book. Dolphin astronauts, sure, but trainers?

All the humans.

Pay attention to what is going on. The dolphins are a client species of the humans. In other words, the humans are responsible for their behavior. They serve as adults, educators, mentors and role models rolled into one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
23 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I don't remember any dolphin trainer in that book. Dolphin astronauts, sure, but trainers?

All the humans.

Pay attention to what is going on. The dolphins are a client species of the humans. In other words, the humans are responsible for their behavior. They serve as adults, educators, mentors and role models rolled into one.

Mentors, educators, role models, sure, but I think dolphins would feel offended if some would say he's their trainer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

Mentors, educators, role models, sure, but I think dolphins would feel offended if some would say he's their trainer.

Don't even ask about their "owners".  Dolphins are evolved to head-butt sharks and win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:
8 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Mentors, educators, role models, sure, but I think dolphins would feel offended if some would say he's their trainer.

Don't even ask about their "owners".  Dolphins are evolved to head-butt sharks and win.

But only in water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

But only in water.

While I haven't read the story in question, I'd expect instinct to take over in space....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

Dolphins are evolved to head-butt sharks and win.

 

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

But only in water.

 

10 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

While I haven't read the story in question, I'd expect instinct to take over in space....

Better be careful.  Sharks in space use knives as well as having pearly teeth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

But only in water.

While I haven't read the story in question, I'd expect instinct to take over in space....

Even outside gravity, you can't push against air so much. Swimming in air will be slow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Even outside gravity, you can't push against air so much. Swimming in air will be slow.

Try to go into too much detail on the physics of flying aminals and this EGS thread will move from Uplift Saga to Flight of Dragons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Even outside gravity, you can't push against air so much. Swimming in air will be slow.

Try to go into too much detail on the physics of flying aminals and this EGS thread will move from Uplift Saga to Flight of Dragons.

... you said it as if it would be a bad thing ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

But only in water.

Sharknado notwithstanding, generally speaking sharks present the biggest problem while one is in water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

Don't even ask about their "owners".  Dolphins are evolved to head-butt sharks and win.

And as if that wasn't enough I think I remember that at least one of the "dolphins" in the books actually was an orca, or a orca / dolphin mix that one of the human scientists had secretly brought on board.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

And as if that wasn't enough I think I remember that at least one of the "dolphins" in the books actually was an orca, or a orca / dolphin mix that one of the human scientists had secretly brought on board.
 

Pity the dolphin that had to mix with the orca...

Technically Orcas are really big dolphins straight out of the shrinkwrap...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0