• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

Story Wednesday March 1, 2017

http://www.egscomics.com/?id=2317

This is not a very good Liefeld comic. The characters all have largely human proportions. That woman exercising clearly has a spine and her breasts aren't either massively huge or showing outrageous amounts of cleavage. Also, every single character actually has joints that can articulate and actual wrists. And there isn't as much as even a single pouch in sight anywhere. What gives?

Hmm, so it appears that Arthur is indeed aware of the possibility of a Magic Reset, and has considered using it as the "nuclear option", should all else fail.

Also, it's probably just Dan's styling, but the two other people at the gym do resemble Justin and Carol to a degree . . .

16 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

http://www.egscomics.com/?id=2317

This is not a very good Liefeld comic. The characters all have largely human proportions. That woman exercising clearly has a spine and her breasts aren't either massively huge or showing outrageous amounts of cleavage. Also, every single character actually has joints that can articulate and actual wrists. And there isn't as much as even a single pouch in sight anywhere. What gives?

For those who don't know what this is about:

http://www.progressiveboink.com/2012/4/21/2960508/worst-rob-liefeld-drawings

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Maybe he is a member of a large organisation with access to secret archives that have information preserved from much older times?

While that's true, I don't think the US government was in existence during the last time Magic changed.

Just now, The Old Hack said:

Errr, records do go further back than the founding of the US government.

But would they have access to those records?

Actually, thinking about it, it's perfectly plausible they had records. Colonisers could have brought copies with them.

Just now, partner555 said:

Actually, thinking about it, it's perfectly plausible they had records. Colonisers could have brought copies with them.

Also, it might be family records or something else private, like some sort of wizard tradition Arthur is part of.

55 minutes ago, partner555 said:

Assuming the records came primarily from European sources at all. When Pandora talked to the Emissary she mentioned that magic changed during her previous life, which based on what little we know about her means the change in magic likely happened sometime between 800 and 1,300 years ago. While there are European organizations that old, European records from that time frame are... Spotty. But there were several other regions in the world during that time frame which were more stable and would have been better able to preserve records

53 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Also, it might be family records or something else private, like some sort of wizard tradition Arthur is part of.

If the Masons actually have magic in this world I am going to laugh myself silly. :)

Given the propensity for ridiculous wizard robes and European swords, I think it's safe to assume that there's some extremely vague European connection, given that the DW diamond was created to stop a werewolf curse, and that Pandora's husband was killed by one.

2 hours ago, partner555 said:
2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Errr, records do go further back than the founding of the US government.

The answer is simple, Arthur J Arthur is a Freemason. And Freemasons are said to be linked to the Knights Templar.

Interesting that Arthur says the problem would only be solved for "decades." That's awfully short, given the magnitude of the reset. Still, I don't think he's counting on Tedd's ability as the seer or Box's promise to Sarah to get magic going again. Given those two working in consort, I imagine they could have magic working in a much shorter time—maybe months.

6 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Maybe he is a member of a large organisation with access to secret archives that have information preserved from much older times?

Maybe because part of the point of immortals' resetting is that they'll be unaware they'll be repeating history, so they don't study it?

2 hours ago, Dabat said:

Assuming the records came primarily from European sources at all. When Pandora talked to the Emissary she mentioned that magic changed during her previous life, which based on what little we know about her means the change in magic likely happened sometime between 800 and 1,300 years ago. While there are European organizations that old, European records from that time frame are... Spotty. But there were several other regions in the world during that time frame which were more stable and would have been better able to preserve records

Monastic record keeping was pretty good during that period, actually. And while a lot has been lost, much has survived by copying, and I assume secret magical organizations would be pretty good at that.

59 minutes ago, lonjil said:

Monastic record keeping was pretty good during that period, actually. And while a lot has been lost, much has survived by copying,

Like the Bible. o.O Mind you, occasionally that could slip up a bit. There was that Bible where a rather important 'not' was omitted from the Seventh Commandment...

First, does anyone else think last panel Arthur looks significantly younger than he has been previously pictured?  Could he be half immortal like Prof Raven, or even an Immortal?  Or maybe he is an ordinary human mage with the ability to make himself appear older or younger as needed?

Second, forcing a magic reset as a Nuclear option?  I wasn't sure if the government was aware of the reset potential, now I know they are seriously letting, or even causing that event just to make administration of magic easier.  As Leonard McCoy so eloquently observed, "The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe."

1 hour ago, lonjil said:

Monastic record keeping was pretty good during that period, actually. And while a lot has been lost, much has survived by copying, and I assume secret magical organizations would be pretty good at that.

You do know the secret to how they copied things so well, don't you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkdcsKrpaBQ

8 hours ago, ijuin said:

Hmm, so it appears that Arthur is indeed aware of the possibility of a Magic Reset, and has considered using it as the "nuclear option", should all else fail.

Also, it's probably just Dan's styling, but the two other people at the gym do resemble Justin and Carol to a degree . . .

I was hoping I wasn't the only one who thought that guy looked like Justin!

1 hour ago, lonjil said:

Monastic record keeping was often quite good, but it was also quite focused. You know, being monasteries and all. Any monastery that didn't have a focus in magic, which I assume is nearly all of them, likely wouldn't be recording anything about magic at all. As for the secret magical organizations, I assume some exist in the EGS-verse, but we have no idea how large or how continuous there were/are.

2 hours ago, WR...S said:

I'm sure they're just supposed to be avoiding each other's gaze, but I can't help but think they both seem rather... distracted.

It does kind of look like they each are sizing up one the other 2 people in panel 2, with their gazes not changing until panel 5-6