• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

Story Wednesday March 1, 2017

2 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

If the Earth also sheds Sirleck and its entire elite class of Vampires as a result of the reset, Leifeld could come out looking pretty good.

Tell that to tens of thousands of Mages all over the world who are upset that he took their fun and useful spells away--including a possibly sizable fraction of them who feel that their magic is a definitive part of their sense of identity. I'm certain we could find a few hundred out of those who would be willing to personally put a bullet through the man responsible for their loss.

52 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

In the Real World, Roswell was the inception point for a permanent continuing interest in UFO and UFO sightings in the US and elsewhere.  That's NOT something that The FBI's Paranormal unit (DGB) or Agent Cranium would really want to see happen. 

Also in the Real World, there exists an organization that is dedicated to the serious scientific investigation of USO sightings.  It's called the "Mutual UFO Network" or MUFON.  I doubt Cranium or the FBI would like seeing one of those created for looking into magic incidents either unless the FBI were pulling the strings.

What makes you think FBI is NOT pulling the strings? In EGS, on our world or in Amber, whatever.

52 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

Dan doesn't get into the gritty details of his setting.  It's not worth his time to show whether the paranormal enthusiasts have stayed in Moperville or moved on, unless he's going to build a plotline around it.  It also isn't worth talking about magic-related incidents elsewhere on the planet if there's no plotline to build around them.

I don't think it's "not worth his time". I think he really wants to write about events in two schools and don't like that the rest of world keeps interfering.

25 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:
39 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Anything Noriko's done in the past several years could very well have been under contract with other organizations like the paranormal division, and if there's collaboration between the organizations then knowledge of Noriko's work would certainly be known throughout the organizations without the general public knowing.

I didn't mean to suggest that Noriko's exploits were at all public, just point out the lady has been busy.  There have been plenty of incidents around the world happening that we haven't been told about.  Now apply the normal curve with respect to how public a given incident ends up.

My post was supporting the idea that Magic is not considering a rules change just because of what's happening in Moperville but it's likely that stuff has been happening elsewhere that contribute to the decision.  It's just Mopereville is at the likely flashpoint for the decision.

If the reason magic considers reset is due to knowledge of magic and how to obtain it going public, those other incident might not matter at all, simply because they don't endanger status quo.

Normal curve may not apply: situation in Moperville is different because Pandora interferes. Incidents in Moperville may be harder to hide than elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, ijuin said:
2 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

If the Earth also sheds Sirleck and its entire elite class of Vampires as a result of the reset, Leifeld could come out looking pretty good.

Tell that to tens of thousands of Mages all over the world who are upset that he took their fun and useful spells away--including a possibly sizable fraction of them who feel that their magic is a definitive part of their sense of identity. I'm certain we could find a few hundred out of those who would be willing to personally put a bullet through the man responsible for their loss -

- Arthur Arthur.

Most of them are unlikely to be aware of Leifeld.

50 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

- Arthur Arthur.

Most of them are unlikely to be aware of Leifeld.

Yeah, considering it was Arthur that made the public statement that magic was real, anyone else that might have knowledge of system changes might blame him.

28 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If magic resets, Noriko will lose access to her magic.

What will she think when she gets back to Moperville and discovers her disappointing son is leading the effort to discover and teach the new laws of magic?

Or just receives an official update to her spell book, telling her how to use the "Tedd Verres" method to re-establish her connection to magic. Having her little one's name synonymous with magic for generations could also have quite an effect.

Actually, I can't help wondering how long the Will of magic has been planning a reset. Anybody else think that it's not a coincidence that Tedd has the abilities he has? It's possible that someone like Tedd is born before there is a reset, in order to help figure out the new rules for magic.

5 minutes ago, Southern Cross said:

Actually, I can't help wondering how long the Will of magic has been planning a reset. Anybody else think that it's not a coincidence that Tedd has the abilities he has? It's possible that someone like Tedd is born before there is a reset, in order to help figure out the new rules for magic.

I don't think Tedd is completely unique. Someone like him could be 1 in 500 million or so which would mean he'd likely be the only one in North America. But there's also the possibility that there's is always someone like him, when one dies, another is born to take their place. If someone like Tedd is meant to insure that Magic doesn't completely become forgotten, then it would make sense that such a failsafe is continuous, rather than it come to a point where its like "you know, I think in 18 years I might have to reset magic, better crank out a couple seers"

Also, during the time in which official policy is to keep non-magic-users believing that magic is entirely fictional, any Seer who has no magic-using family or friends will probably live their entire lives unaware of their own nature. For every Seer who like Tedd is surrounded by Mages and thinks him/herself to be a Squib, there will be easily a dozen surrounded by Muggles and never learning of their own talent.

19 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If magic resets, Noriko will lose access to her magic.

What will she think when she gets back to Moperville and discovers her disappointing son is leading the effort to discover and teach the new laws of magic?

About Tedd, about herself or about the person who designed the magic analyzer wand?

19 hours ago, Haylo said:

Or just receives an official update to her spell book, telling her how to use the "Tedd Verres" method to re-establish her connection to magic. Having her little one's name synonymous with magic for generations could also have quite an effect.

I don't think Tedd would be doing direct spell book updates. Although ... it's not completely impossible ...

But note: considering she has hereditary magic talent, she may not completely lose access to magic. It's possible she will "only" lose her current spells.

18 hours ago, Scotty said:
18 hours ago, Southern Cross said:

I don't think Tedd is completely unique. Someone like him could be 1 in 500 million or so which would mean he'd likely be the only one in North America. But there's also the possibility that there's is always someone like him, when one dies, another is born to take their place. If someone like Tedd is meant to insure that Magic doesn't completely become forgotten, then it would make sense that such a failsafe is continuous, rather than it come to a point where its like "you know, I think in 18 years I might have to reset magic, better crank out a couple seers"

Considering seers can die unexpectedly and they are useless until at least age 10, I don't think having just one would be safe. Also, if seers can only be born in magic families, then it can require some wait before one of magic families will have child ... no, I think there are multiple seers ready at any time and few already growing.

On the other hand, 1 in 500 million would mean 15 on whole Earth, that might be enough.

17 hours ago, ijuin said:

Also, during the time in which official policy is to keep non-magic-users believing that magic is entirely fictional, any Seer who has no magic-using family or friends will probably live their entire lives unaware of their own nature. For every Seer who like Tedd is surrounded by Mages and thinks him/herself to be a Squib, there will be easily a dozen surrounded by Muggles and never learning of their own talent.

Note that it's possible that seer needs to be born in family with magic talent. Although there may be families with magic talent not aware of it - case in point, Susan's father may not be aware of his talent ... so, even if the "Muggles" is wrong word, seer might live his entire live completely unaware.