• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Friday March 3, 2017

15 minutes ago, Stature said:

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2318

French words, German words, Uryuom words....

Hmm, what languages DOES Ellen know? She may have studied a couple of them in her Second Life . . . Then again, with Uryuoms being out in the open in that world, perhaps Ellen had one as a language teacher who thus taught her several different languages?

Anyway, Ellen probably has the right idea about getting it all in the open right away instead of drawing it out.

3 hours ago, ijuin said:

Hmm, what languages DOES Ellen know? She may have studied a couple of them in her Second Life . . . Then again, with Uryuoms being out in the open in that world, perhaps Ellen had one as a language teacher who thus taught her several different languages?

ALL the curse words in ALL the languages, EVER!

3 hours ago, ijuin said:

Yes, but would she retain those languages in this life?  Or would she just remember being able to speak them fluently, the way I can remember being much more fluent in French when I was studying it in college?

Just now, CritterKeeper said:

Yes, but would she retain those languages in this life?  Or would she just remember being able to speak them fluently, the way I can remember being much more fluent in French when I was studying it in college?

Her ability to sing certainly carried over well, everything she experienced growing up in her second life was more vivid than anything she could remember from Elliot's past so I would think that languages would also carry over.

Also, did Ellen forget her coat? I don't think I ever saw her still carrying her backpack around after putting her coat away. Seems odd that she still has the backpack.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Her ability to sing certainly carried over well, everything she experienced growing up in her second life was more vivid than anything she could remember from Elliot's past so I would think that languages would also carry over.

Hmm, true, although she got the singing ability through lessons and practice, not through an Uryuom touching antennae to her head, which is the sort of language-learning we were talking about.  It's possible that sort of lesson wouldn't stick the way actual experience does.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Also, did Ellen forget her coat? I don't think I ever saw her still carrying her backpack around after putting her coat away. Seems odd that she still has the backpack.

Seems odd to me that the students don't have backpacks with them all the time.  Don't they have books and notebooks and pencils, etc?  Aren't they going to class where they'll need those things?

7 hours ago, ijuin said:

Anyway, Ellen probably has the right idea about getting it all in the open right away instead of drawing it out.

We know she knows at least English and Uryuom, because Elliot knew those languages before Ellen was created.

30 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Seems odd to me that the students don't have backpacks with them all the time.  Don't they have books and notebooks and pencils, etc?  Aren't they going to class where they'll need those things?

I had mainly assumed that the reason why we never saw the with books or backpacks was that they left them in their lockers until the 6 minute warning bell to get to class, so Ellen having her backpack but not coat would suggest she might have been to her locker already. Maybe she was soo nervous about talking to Diane that she wanted to be able to make a hasty retreat without having to stop at her locker? Then again, maybe Dan suddenly felt the same as you about how odd it was not having them with books and such while at school.

Interestingly enough, Dan and I had the exact same issue back in high school. In my case though it wasn't a backpack being carried improperly, I had one of those portfolio style bags with the one shoulder strap, but I carried it the same way Dan did his when I should have had the strap over my head and resting on the opposite shoulder. That, along with sleeping on that side of my body contributed to my current shoulder problems, so whenever Dan tweets about his shoulder trying to kill him, I know he's not exaggerating.

29 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Hmm, true, although she got the singing ability through lessons and practice, not through an Uryuom touching antennae to her head, which is the sort of language-learning we were talking about.  It's possible that sort of lesson wouldn't stick the way actual experience does.

Everything that Ellen experienced was knowledge gained, and I consider even learning a language through instant contact like how Uryuoms do to be knowledge gain, not much different than the nose beep including a recorded message from Nioi.

Worst case scenario for Ellen, Diane questions the last statement. What could she say? One could be a magically created genderswapped clone of a person and share all their memories up to about a year ago?.

59 minutes ago, PSadlon said:

Worst case scenario for Ellen, Diane questions the last statement. What could she say? One could be a magically created genderswapped clone of a person and share all their memories up to about a year ago?.

I think Diane is going to find out Ellen's origins one way or another in this story arc.

2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

We know she knows at least English and Uryuom, because Elliot knew those languages before Ellen was created.

Um, William taught the Uryuom language to Elliot after Ellen was created, not before.

28 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Um, William taught the Uryuom language to Elliot after Ellen was created, not before.

I have checked that a few time as well, and William is introduced post diamond. 

Though Ellen probably learned the language in her alternate world dream 2nd life, and They might have had everyone learn it by now anyway... 

Do we have a word of dan on who speaks what languages???

31 minutes ago, ijuin said:

That's right, Ellen would likely still be at Susan's (since her, Nanase and Justin spent the night there) when Elliot went over to Tedd's.

6 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
9 hours ago, Scotty said:

It's also possible abilities obtained this way sticks MORE. :)

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

Interestingly enough, Dan and I had the exact same issue back in high school. In my case though it wasn't a backpack being carried improperly, I had one of those portfolio style bags with the one shoulder strap, but I carried it the same way Dan did his when I should have had the strap over my head and resting on the opposite shoulder. That, along with sleeping on that side of my body contributed to my current shoulder problems, so whenever Dan tweets about his shoulder trying to kill him, I know he's not exaggerating.

Interestingly, I carried the one-shoulder-strap bag with the strap over my head and I'm having problems with back anyway. I wonder how much worse it would be if I didn't ...

5 hours ago, PSadlon said:

Worst case scenario for Ellen, Diane questions the last statement. What could she say? One could be a magically created genderswapped clone of a person and share all their memories up to about a year ago?

We can be reasonably certain Diane is not genderswapped :)

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

I think Diane is going to find out Ellen's origins one way or another in this story arc.

I think Diane the detective already realized Ellen is speaking from personal experience. Or will the moment she stops to think about it.

So if I understood Dan's commentary correctly, he needed a way to explain why every person in the world wasn't at the same place at the same time.

I have contemplated that question at many times.  Why do humans need to drift apart from one another?

On to other matters.

Languages.

Almost every humanish person we have met so far in EGS is able to speak conversational English.

Japanese
Conversational to Fluent:
  The entire Kitsune family.  Presumably Noriko, as Mrs Kitsune's sister, she would have a similar background.
Some: Tedd Verres, Sensei Greg, and Ashley.  Mostly on the grounds that they are Anime fans.

French
  Nanase, Gillian.
Some:  Susan.  Enough to take the French Club trip to Paris.

Uryuomoco
Fluent
: Elliot, Edward, Grace and Tedd.  Also all the Uryuoms.
Anyone who has physically contacted a Uryuom may have learned the Uryuomoco. I would guess Agent Wolf does not know Uryuomoco because even though he is a powerful wizard working for government on matters of magical law enforcement and investigation, he does not know that aliens exist on Earth. He suspects a lot with good reason. But for some reason, someone has ordered Edward Verres and his superiors to keep that info from Wolf.

Animals
  Grace.

Knowledge of second languages may be far more extensive among the EGS Characters.  These are the only examples I recall seeing demonstrated on panel.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Relevant detail added

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Some: Tedd Verres, Sensei Greg, and Ashley.  Mostly on the grounds that they are Anime fans.

Actually, Ashley doesn't know Japanese, she's only tried to learn spanish but kept falling asleep in class. She's also very sure her family doesn't come from Japan. It'd be a fair assumption that the manga she reads has been translated to english.

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Fluent: Elliot, Edward, and Tedd.  Also all the Uryuoms.

While it can probably be argued that Grace falls under Uryuoms, it still feels wrong to not have her named here. ;)

Ok, I forgot about that scene.  Grace does know Uryuomoco.

On to more pressing matters.

We are being promised a scene where Nanase will tear the door off of her locker.  Will this be real, or another couch throwing scene?

49 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

We are being promised a scene where Nanase will tear the door off of her locker.  Will this be real, or another couch throwing scene?

Calm down already, Pharaoh. These days some of us have lockers made of aluminum or wood, not carved out of stone with five-tonne marble slabs for doors.

17 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So if I understood Dan's commentary correctly, he needed a way to explain why every person in the world wasn't at the same place at the same time.

I have contemplated that question at many times.  Why do humans need to drift apart from one another?

On to other matters.

Languages.

Almost every humanish person we have met so far in EGS is able to speak conversational English.

Japanese
  The entire Kitsune family.  Presumably Noriko, as Mrs Kitsune's sister, she would have a similar background.

French
  Nanase, Gillian.

Uryuomoco
Fluent
: Elliot, Edward, Grace and Tedd.  Also all the Uryuoms.
Anyone who has physically contacted a Uryuom may have learned the Uryuomoco. I would guess Agent Wolf does not know Uryuomoco because even though he is a powerful wizard working for government on matters of magical law enforcement and investigation, he does not know that aliens exist on Earth. He suspects a lot with good reason. But for some reason, someone has ordered Edward Verres and his superiors to keep that info from Wolf.

Animals
  Grace.

Knowledge of second languages may be far more extensive among the EGS Characters.  These are the only examples I recall seeing demonstrated on panel.

Considering  Agent Wolf believes Lavender has access to mind control spores, it's not surprising that nobody's told him about aliens.

28 minutes ago, Southern Cross said:

Considering  Agent Wolf believes Lavender has access to mind control spores, it's not surprising that nobody's told him about aliens.

That was two years prior to the beginning of the comic, it's possible Wolf has been given the scoop on Uryuoms by now.

The other possibility is Lavender was also born on Earth like William was so she would technically not be an alien.

21 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

French
  Nanase, Gillian.

Susan knew some French two years back. Almost three now. If she stayed in that French class - which she probably did - she would likely be able to converse in it now.

11 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Ok, I forgot about that scene.  Grace does know Uryuomoco.

Also, this scene.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:
3 hours ago, Southern Cross said:

That was two years prior to the beginning of the comic, it's possible Wolf has been given the scoop on Uryuoms by now.

I was also thinking this. Just because he didn't know about aliens two years before comics doesn't mean he doesn't know now.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

The other possibility is Lavender was also born on Earth like William was so she would technically not be an alien.

She probably isn't alien, yes. I don't think she would directly lie to William.

Also ... Wolf not knowing about aliens and still being allowed to see Lavender? I think someone was making fun of him just before explaining it.

(Third: those alien mind control spores were not actually disproved. Her behaviour in Zoombies storyline is suspicious. Maybe she decided she waited for Verres to notice enough.)

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

(Third: those alien mind control spores were not actually disproved. Her behaviour in Zoombies storyline is suspicious. Maybe she decided she waited for Verres to notice enough.)

Is it possible that Edward Verres was using the mind control spores on her?