• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
ProfessorTomoe

Ellen's Magic - Facts and Speculation

I hope I'm not acting the fool for starting this topic, but I have a question about how much of Ellen's magic has been shown in the strip. By "how much," I really mean "variations." So far, I can only think of two types of magic she has been show to be capable of directly invoking on her own:

• Her TF beam.
  • Her copy spell.

Her copy spell has given her access to other abilities for a short time, most notably Nanase's "angel" defense spell. (I have to wonder if Ellen could invoke that on her own now.) However, I cannot remember Ellen invoking anything else that would be out of her own spellbook.

Can anyone help me out with some other examples here? Or, lacking examples, how about some speculation about what she might be able to do?

Her TF beams have at least 3 modes as well, Normal, Rapid Fire and Amped Up, and in very special circumstances, she channel more energy to get a Super Amped Up beam.

As of just December 23rd of the previous year, when we saw Ellen training with Grace, Greg had asked Ellen if she had any beams with less awkward results. Ellen stating that aside from rapid fire and amped up, all her other beams had cooldowns. The copy spell on it's own has no combat value, only the forms Ellen gains by using it do, so we can safely assume she has more than 3 beams that can be used to transform others. We do know that Ellen seems to be better at keeping up with her spell book than Elliot is, probably because her and Nanase have "study" dates to show each other new spells.

As for what these other beams are? They could actually be anything from turning someone into an animal, resizing, heck she could probably have a beam that works like telekinesis being able to pick up stuff from range and moving it.

Yup, Ellen's unspecified beams with cooldown times are one of the more intriguing hints/teases Dan has dropped on us.  We know the results are "less awkward."  We don't know if the cooldown time is for that spell only or for all beams.  Would a beam that makes an opponent, say, suddenly have really long hair, leave her unable to use her FV5 bean either until she cools down?

One thing to keep in mind is when Ellen blasted Vlad with her anger amplified beam, he went flying backwards.  While lasers (or any light, really) can supply force, it would take many mega joules of power to do that.  Many as in 4 or 5 digits worth.  That much power in a laser would cause Vlad to instantly heat shock into plasma, making that room very messy.  All this leads me to think that there is a possible telekinetic aspect of her beams.  If she can remove the "make you a hawt girl" aspect from a beam, and just have the telekinetic aspect, that would be a rather powerful weapon.  I have assumed that is the beam type that has the cool down disadvantage attached to it. 

35 minutes ago, mlooney said:

One thing to keep in mind is when Ellen blasted Vlad with her anger amplified beam, he went flying backwards.  While lasers (or any light, really) can supply force, it would take many mega joules of power to do that.  Many as in 4 or 5 digits worth.  That much power in a laser would cause Vlad to instantly heat shock into plasma, making that room very messy.  All this leads me to think that there is a possible telekinetic aspect of her beams.  If she can remove the "make you a hawt girl" aspect from a beam, and just have the telekinetic aspect, that would be a rather powerful weapon.  I have assumed that is the beam type that has the cool down disadvantage attached to it. 

It might also be possible that the transformation beams, rather than having a telekinetic aspect, still at least has a kinetic force, like the magic produces some sort of magnetic field or displaces air to the point that air in front of the beam is compressed into a shockwave. Or it could be possible that certain beams create a blast of energy that's denser than air so it'd feel like getting hit with a water canon.

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

It might also be possible that the transformation beams, rather than having a telekinetic aspect, still at least has a kinetic force, like the magic produces some sort of magnetic field or displaces air to the point that air in front of the beam is compressed into a shockwave. Or it could be possible that certain beams create a blast of energy that's denser than air so it'd feel like getting hit with a water canon.

Of your 3 options there, the 1st is what I had in mind when I said telekinetic, the 2nd creates a big ball of plasma if it's strong enough to have any real effects (see a lot of the "What if" stuff in XKCD) and the 3rd seems like it could be a real thing.

4 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Such as the script for the first season of "Avatar: the Last Airbender"? o.O

I wouldn't know as I'd never seen it.

37 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Oh, I thought that might be better since you prefer a canon to an actual cannon. O.o

/me facepalms

I've been saying canon soo much lately in reference to what's canon in comics, that I forgot I needed that extra n...

Just now, Scotty said:

/me facepalms

I've been saying canon soo much lately in reference to what's canon in comics, that I forgot I needed that extra n...

I was amused because it was the opposite of the normal error. >.>

8 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I was amused because it was the opposite of the normal error. >.>

Interestingly enough, it's happened to Dan as well. I noticed while rereading Escape from the Mall that Dan's commentary has "canon cannon" twice, then switches up to "cannon canon" four times. He also used just "canon" three times, so it's not surprising that he'd get confused there. ;)

42 minutes ago, JustBecauseICantDraw said:

At the new year party Ellen said she had magic but "it would just make things more messed up" which tells us quite a lot about things she can't do.

Yeah, she was limited to FV5 related transformations and copying at the time. While it has been about 2 weeks since then and during the events of So a Date, they didn't show off anything new, though earlier in the day during Playing with Dolls, Tedd revealed that Nanase could give her avatar (and the doll she leaves behind) different, simple outfits so that's relatively new chronologically. Ellen is assumed to read her spellbook more than Elliot so it's less likely for her to accidentally cast a new spell, but the fact that she hasn't said "check this out." in a long time says something.