• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

Story Monday March 6, 2017

We don't know what kind of job Mr Pompoms had, but it was probably one where the excuse that he needed to work late could be easily believed. Diane's biological mother could have been his secretary, or maybe his boss. Or maybe he was on a business trip and picked up a random woman at a bar, got her pregnant and then then a day or two later got home and got Mrs Pompoms pregnant.

I like how Diane seemed all for meeting Susan up until it actually struck her that she could really meet Susan, then the nervousness kicks in. :)

It seems like Ellen could say more about the half sister aspect, like explaining that Edward could only confirm Susan is Mrs Pompom's daughter and that he couldn't get a hold of Diane's adoption records.

3 minutes ago, partner555 said:

Another Mall arc? Oh dear. Last one involved griffins. What's going to happen this time?

Considering she wants it to be Friday? Probably Vampires.

5 minutes ago, partner555 said:

Another Mall arc? Oh dear. Last one involved griffins. What's going to happen this time?

The "current" mall arc, which, granted takes place months before this, has an immortal going nuts with giving people magic marks.

1 minute ago, mlooney said:

The "current" mall arc, which, granted takes place months before this, has an immortal going nuts with giving people magic marks.

I didn't include that, but yeah. That just makes it more likely for something to happen. Plan CM is likely still in operation. And then there's Sirleck wanting to bring hell to Moperville.

Just now, partner555 said:

I didn't include that, but yeah. That just makes it more likely for something to happen. Plan CM is likely still in operation. And then there's Sirleck wanting to bring hell to Moperville.

If you are a member of the main 8 or primary secondary cast and you go to the mall, something will happen.  Attempted mugging, revealing Grace's powers, the start of meddling teenagers, griffins, etc.

Let me see if I understood Jerry's question.
He can answer a question on-line, perhaps anonymously or with a pseudonym, and it would not violate Immortal rules or his vow.  Could this be any question to which he knows an answer?  Or is it limited to a specific set or class of questions?

But he can't ASK that question on-line?

I'm guessing that he isn't asking the question generically.  Is it possible, in general, for one human male to get two or more human females pregnant within a span of a few days?  I know Jerry reset less than a year ago, but he should familiar enough with the human condition to know the answer to that inquiry.

No, the only way I can see where he would be restricted is if he wanted to ask about Susan's father specifically.

Could A man get two women pregnant in a few days?  Yes.
Did THAT man get two women pregnant in a few days?  That answer may be restricted.

7 minutes ago, mlooney said:

If you are a member of the main 8 or primary secondary cast and you go to the mall, something will happen.  Attempted mugging, revealing Grace's powers, the start of meddling teenagers, griffins, etc.

And don't forget what happens if you try to by a magic trinket with a toothbrush coupon from the sales monster at the kiosk. http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp.php?id=142

There have got to be some AMAZING deals at that mall to get everyone to keep coming back.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Relevant detail added

I'd be hesitant about arranging a meeting on neutral ground. Enemy territory, you know where you stand, but Neutral? Who knows?

3 hours ago, partner555 said:

"So Another Day At the Mall" is how I would name it.

Careful, Diane. We do not really want an eager beaver at this time. Later, you could.

1 hour ago, Dabat said:

The Shadow Knows!

That was an underrated movie, although Jonathan Winters was mis-cast and Peter Boyle's performance was rather wooden. The rest was actually quite good, and I watch it whenever I see it on the channel guide.

1 minute ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

That was an underrated movie, although Jonathan Winters was mis-cast and Peter Boyle's performance was rather wooden. The rest was actually quite good, and I watch it whenever I see it on the channel guide.

I enjoyed the movie for what it was. I loved the effects in it, they were quite good for when it came out. But I was actually thinking of the old radio serials. When I was a child my grandmother got my brother the complete Shadow radio series on cassette. I used to love listening to them.

They used to play The Shadow on the satellite radio system we use at work (we had to change type of subscription so we don't get that channel any more), and there's a Wisconsin station I can sometimes get that carries old-time radio on an unknown schedule (gotta catch a call sign to know what station to look up), so I've enjoyed The Shadow whenever I can get it.  :-)

I did watch the movie, seemed like it was good, but I don't remember a lot of details.

14 hours ago, mlooney said:

you forgot about the "not a date" dates ;)

Leaving aside the fact that new Jerry seems to not know something that basic, he's so funny right now. And I'm fairly sure that asking a question online isn't against the rules - especially if he rationalizes it to himself as "leaving a clue for them to realize I don't know jack, thus guiding them to the truth - if they look for it."

Note that The Neutral Zone was closer to demilitarized zone than classical neutral ground, and people got into trouble for entering it WITH heavily armed starship.

18 hours ago, WR...S said:

Could a man get two women pregnant in a few days?"

...that's what men are!  Just what are immortals...?

I'm pretty sure man can get two women pregnant in few hours. Maybe minutes.

18 hours ago, Scotty said:

I like how Diane seemed all for meeting Susan up until it actually struck her that she could really meet Susan, then the nervousness kicks in. :)

Yup :)

18 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

He can answer a question on-line, perhaps anonymously or with a pseudonym, and it would not violate Immortal rules or his vow.  Could this be any question to which he knows an answer?  Or is it limited to a specific set or class of questions?

Yes. Answering question is very obvious "empower and guide", specifically the guide part.

18 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

But he can't ASK that question on-line?

I'm surprised he doesn't just use search.

11 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

They used to play The Shadow on the satellite radio system we use at work (we had to change type of subscription so we don't get that channel any more), and there's a Wisconsin station I can sometimes get that carries old-time radio on an unknown schedule (gotta catch a call sign to know what station to look up), so I've enjoyed The Shadow whenever I can get it.  :-)

I did watch the movie, seemed like it was good, but I don't remember a lot of details.

The Shadow was one of the first of the modern style of super heroes with iconic powers and outfit, so it gets a lot of historical interest.

As for the current EGS page, I love all of Diane's expressions here, especially her determined one in the fourth panel.

9 hours ago, ijuin said:

The Shadow was one of the first of the modern style of super heroes with iconic powers and outfit, so it gets a lot of historical interest.

Iconic powers, yes, but one of them was "the power to cloud men's minds" so the Shadow didn't need a costume.

Batman is usually recognized as the first modern costumed hero. He's not super, just super-smart and super-coordinated and super-rich. Think Sherlock Holmes with money. His costume is basically Zorro's; Bob Kane was nuts about the Tyrone Power Zorro movie from the Thirties.

So maybe Superman is a combination of powers (the Shadow) with a costume (Batman/Zorro).

9 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Iconic powers, yes, but one of them was "the power to cloud men's minds" so the Shadow didn't need a costume.

Batman is usually recognized as the first modern costumed hero. He's not super, just super-smart and super-coordinated and super-rich. Think Sherlock Holmes with money. His costume is basically Zorro's; Bob Kane was nuts about the Tyrone Power Zorro movie from the Thirties.

So maybe Superman is a combination of powers (the Shadow) with a costume (Batman/Zorro).

I thought Supes was a wish-fulfillment for a couple of New York jewish kids (I forget the borough) who got picked on a lot.  IIRC his costume was inspired by circus acrobats.

12 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

He was lucky no women revealed him.

3 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

IIRC his costume was inspired by circus acrobats.

Fashion clichés from the 1930s - 50s.

Trunks - Boxers, weightlifters, other "strong men".

Tights - Acrobats, dancers, and circus aerialists.  High wire and trapeze acts.

Cape - Many athletic performers, including the above mentioned circus acts and matadors.  Also vampires, stage magicians, and opera aficionados.

Short skirt and sweater - Figure skater, cheerleader.