• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
CritterKeeper

Favorite Quotes

10 minutes ago, partner555 said:
5 hours ago, HarJIT said:

“We’re not street, we’re boulevard.” – Matt Gray, 2016, youtube:9a5jY7544wk

What's the context for that quote?

It's the youtube video HarJIT tagged in there. Tom talks about doing MC work, and makes it clear it's not the rap MC stuff, so Matt says that phrase.

Okay, let's wake this thread up by giving it a topic and see what happens....

What is your favorite threat?

One of my favorites is from the TV series Witchblade.

Gabriel: He could make my life very difficult!

Ian: "Difficult"?  I can make you pray for "difficult."

Ever notice how the word "difficult" looks like it's spelled wrong, even when it isn't?

Another good one is from Forever Knight....LaCroix (who is a couple thousand years old) is, in a flashback, threatened by a Nazi, telling him nasty things he could do to him.  LaCroix looks him straight in the eye and, with a hint of a smile, tells him, "Try."  Conveys more genuine menace than everything the Nazi had said did.

So, anyone else remember some good threats?

47 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

It will if you quote it here!

...we shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight in the seas and oceans, we shall fight - with growing confidence and growing strength - in the air! We shall defend our island, no matter the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields, and in the streets; we shall fight in the hills. We shall never surrender! And if, for which I do not for a moment believe, that this island - or a large part of it - were subjugated and starving, that our Empire, beyond the sea, armed, and guarded by the British fleet, would carry on the struggle, until in God's good time, the New World with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue, and the liberation of the old. - Excerpt from Winston Churchill (1941)

How about the famous "World of Cardboard" Speech?

"That man won't quit as long as he can still draw a breath. None of my teammates will. Me? I've got a different problem. I feel like I live in a world made of cardboard, always taking care not to break something, to break someone. Never allowing myself to lose control even for a moment, or someone could die. But you can take it, can't you, big man? What we have here is a rare opportunity for me to cut loose and show you just how powerful I really am."
— Superman, Justice League Unlimited

I am not sure if this counts, but here follows what my players voted the least impressive threat ever made:

We were playing a game of Vampire: the Masquerade and my players were gatecrashing a Setite drug orgy. The putative host of the party was a hapless mortal who was totally in the claws of his Setite master and in a drugged stupor at the time. But as the PCs went through the party, killing the guards and flattening the Setite's ghouls and other servants, it gradually dawned on the poor dope that something wasn't quite right with his party. At length, after the battle had gone on for several turns, he drew himself up as much as he could (not very) and told the player characters: "Hey, you... you there! If you don't immediately stop... whatever it is you're doing... I know someone who probably thinks he is really something!"

Needless to say, this fearsome declaration utterly failed to make the player characters collapse into abject terror.

Select almost any line from "The Princess Bride", however the two I use the most are

"You keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means"

"Let me explain, no there is too much, let me sum up"

Also any of these (note, not from The Princess Bride)
The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

36 minutes ago, mlooney said:

It's like a light went off in my head.  Maxim 37 doesn't have to apply to just shooting things. This opens up a world of options...

IMO, "Overkill" means when you collaterally damage something that you had wanted to keep intact--e.g. killing hostage-taker and hostage together when you had wanted to keep the hostage alive.

"I considered having Arthur kick a puppy and talk loudly during a movie, but I think it's adequately clear that I'm not trying to make him likable. Authorial intent counts for very little, however, so it's entirely possible you might like him just fine. Just keep in mind that I have that puppy on standby and directions to your favorite movie theater."

-Dan, in commentary for this strip  :-)

"Yanno that old sayin', bout if you stare into the abyss, it stares back? Yea, he fuckin' won that staring competition." -- H. Quinn, in an unpublishable crossover fanfic.

"Dockside was not a place for strangers, far less so on an overcast evening with the fog rolling in. Still, when a fellow that big, walking with that sort of stride, enters Dockside... nobody notices." -- referring to a student of the guy H. Quinn was talking about (this one is publishable but not yet published)

*voiceover as catburglar climbs over penthouse balcony and breaks into safe*

A schmuck named Neitszche once said, 'Anything done out of love is beyond good and evil.'  Now, here's the thing -- I love my job.  So what does that make me?  My feeling was always that good and evil could kiss my ass.  But that night, they kinda got together and bit me on it."   - opening of TV series The Invisible Man (2000 version)

Neil deGrasse Tyson just speculated, "Maybe aliens did visit Earth, but they just accidentally happened to show up during San Diego ComiCon."

ETA And in Out-Of-Context-Quotes territory, in response to a question about time travel, he said "Bill and Tedd are real!"

And spellchecker knows how to spell deGrasse!  How cool is that?

4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

And spellchecker knows how to spell deGrasse!  How cool is that?

Autocorrect at times has trouble in that regard. Someone I know is named Courtney Boland. When she tried to enter her name into a document, the autocorrect tried to change it into 'Courtesy Ebola.'

...which is not even mentioning poor Dr. Hiller, former head of the Danish Nuclear Test Station, whom the overzealous spell checker in one annual report renamed to 'Hitler' throughout the whole document...

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I once had to set up an address database that included a person named "Boland"

My spell checker insisted it was "Boulevard".

Surprised it didn't use "Borland".

"If by 'research' you mean 'have a bit of a Google and cherrypick what confirms your biases', that is the opposite of science. And while you're cherrypicking on the Internet, remember that science brought you the Internet. And the cherrypicker!"

-Charlie Pickering 

One of my favorite novels of all time, Uhura's Song by Janet Kagan, slipped in a rule I often wish had spread to be right up there with Clarke's Third Law or Godwin's Law.

Kagan's Law of First Contact: You'll surprise you more than they will.

Meaning, when in a first contact situation, you'll kind of expect the other species to be different so they won't surprise you by it, but you'll learn a lot about both your own species and the individuals on your team/in your crew/above you in the chain of command when you're comparing them to both the other guys and your own expectations.