• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

NP Friday March 10, 2017

On 03/09/2017 at 1:50 AM, hkmaly said:

... hmmm ... maybe Pandora needs to say something more? Or show she marked more people?

Called it. The first part I mean. Still not clear who she marked.

Also, I'm surprised she wants to nap NOW. The Halloween is still not over.

39 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Called it. The first part I mean. Still not clear who she marked.

Also, I'm surprised she wants to nap NOW. The Halloween is still not over.

I still say obviously Catalina, Kitty and Felix, for sure Good Tom and 50/50 on Liz.

Though she did say she was going to nap for 2 weeks, maybe she'll have more luck finding people to mark then ::coughlukecough::

Escape from the Mall started on September 7th, and it directly followed Marker, which began on July 25th.

Almost 8 months to follow the events of, what, maybe an hour or two?

13 minutes ago, Howitzer said:

Escape from the Mall started on September 7th, and it directly followed Marker, which began on July 25th.

So a Date started March 2 2015 and ended May 16th 2016 so 14 months to cover twice that.

36 minutes ago, Scotty said:
53 minutes ago, Howitzer said:

So a Date started March 2 2015 and ended May 16th 2016 so 14 months to cover twice that.

So what? Can't beat the two thirds of second lasting since January 22, 2013 to January 28. 2013. Think about it. That's 1:907200, almost 1:million ...

33 minutes ago, mlooney said:

That's the danger of webcomic time.  If this were a printed comic, it would be one, maybe two issues.

Also keep in mind this is an NP, if this was done as a main story it might have only taken between 4-6 months instead of 8.

But...

It can't be over...

We never found out what happened to that skateboarder.

On another tentacle, can an immortal really be said to be "living" centuries if 90% of that time is spent asleep?  If Pandora is supposedly 500 years beyond her recommended reset date, but she has only been active for 50 of those years, is she really pushing herself?

5 hours ago, ijuin said:

And how long can we humans be said to be living if we spend 40% of our time asleep?

So when we say the human life expectancy is nearing 80, that's a shorthand expression for about 50 years plus 30 asleep? If hybernation becomes practical that could turn into 50 years plus 100 asleep in some climates where humans would rather skip the less comfortable seasons, with time spent that way putting a lot less wear and tear on body and mind...and imortals might similarly use a "lots of naps" spell to stretch out their 200 or so years of available sanity from 120 plus 80 asleep to 120 plus 500 asleep. That would still probably put someone we know well over her limit, but maybe not to the point of complete insanity...

21 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

On another tentacle, can an immortal really be said to be "living" centuries if 90% of that time is spent asleep?  If Pandora is supposedly 500 years beyond her recommended reset date, but she has only been active for 50 of those years, is she really pushing herself?

13 hours ago, Haylo said:

So when we say the human life expectancy is nearing 80, that's a shorthand expression for about 50 years plus 30 asleep? If hybernation becomes practical that could turn into 50 years plus 100 asleep in some climates where humans would rather skip the less comfortable seasons, with time spent that way putting a lot less wear and tear on body and mind...and imortals might similarly use a "lots of naps" spell to stretch out their 200 or so years of available sanity from 120 plus 80 asleep to 120 plus 500 asleep. That would still probably put someone we know well over her limit, but maybe not to the point of complete insanity...

I would expect she didn't napped this way while Adrian was young. Maybe immortals don't actually NEED to sleep, in fact ... She might've already be over the recommended limit when she started solving her boredom by sleeping for weeks. But, yes, it may be method to reduce the risks of living too long ...

BTW, 40%? Seriously? I don't think I'm sleeping so much. Also, most people uses technology to make whole year comfortable enough to be awake, even in extreme climates. Hmmm ... ok, maybe not most people but most people who can afford it.

40% would be 9.6 hours per day. Most people before 18-20 years old need at least nine hours of sleep per day, even if they end up getting less than this and are going about their days sleep-deprived. Younger children need even more than nine hours. Adults tend to need eight or so hours on average.

15 hours ago, ijuin said:

40% would be 9.6 hours per day. Most people before 18-20 years old need at least nine hours of sleep per day, even if they end up getting less than this and are going about their days sleep-deprived. Younger children need even more than nine hours. Adults tend to need eight or so hours on average.

I would ask for source but you already mentioned the main issue: most people don't sleep as much as they need.

(Also, looking at wikipedia ... did they actually tried to keep some school-age children to sleep 11 hours? What did they use? Chloroform?)

44 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I would ask for source but you already mentioned the main issue: most people don't sleep as much as they need.

(Also, looking at wikipedia ... did they actually tried to keep some school-age children to sleep 11 hours? What did they use? Chloroform?)

Kindergarten at least in my area, had a 1 hour nap period from 1pm to 2pm. Of course I never wanted to nap. I still can't really nap, I'll lie down and close my eyes but after 30 minutes or so I just end up feeling achy.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:
4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Kindergarten at least in my area, had a 1 hour nap period from 1pm to 2pm. Of course I never wanted to nap. I still can't really nap, I'll lie down and close my eyes but after 30 minutes or so I just end up feeling achy.

Yes, I still have trauma from that ... I heard that it's better nowadays, but when I was in kindergarten they took that really seriously and wasn't able to understand that some child simply can't sleep.

I think I'm getting close to mastering the art of naps now. I still can't nap when I sleep normally, but when I have trouble sleeping or when I need to wake up earlier for some reason, sometimes I can nap later in day ...

Many Kindergartens have done away with the nap.

Back in the early 70s when I was in Kindergarten, naps were something like 20 minutes right after Sesame Street and Mr Rogers Neighborhood.

Thinking back.  Kindergarten was 3 hours per day back then.  We spent an hour and a half watching TV and another 20 minutes napping.  Our school kept showing us Sesame Street (and also The Electric Company if I remember correctly) almost every day through second grade.

2 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Many Kindergartens have done away with the nap.

Back in the early 70s when I was in Kindergarten, naps were something like 20 minutes right after Sesame Street and Mr Rogers Neighborhood.

Thinking back.  Kindergarten was 3 hours per day back then.  We spent an hour and a half watching TV and another 20 minutes napping.  Our school kept showing us Sesame Street (and also The Electric Company if I remember correctly) almost every day through second grade.

Kindergarten for me was Monday-Wednesday-Friday, but it was 9am-3:30pm, there was a few years where there was an increase in the number of new students in the area and so they had to split the class into Kindergarten A and B and have them alternate, so one week it was A-B-A-B-A then the next B-A-B-A-B. The when the class size shrunk, they brought in the Junior/Senior format that the school has now which also alternates.

My kindergarten was 8:20 till 12:20, Monday through Friday. I still remember the teacher's name--Ms. Miller.

As far as naps go, any time that I sleep at all, I usually end up asleep for at least four hours unless forced awake by alarm clock or whatever. Short naps just don't seem to be a thing for me.

1 minute ago, The Old Hack said:

Have they also done away with the cop? How does poor Arnold Schwarzenegger make a living these days, then?

Well, apparently he was hosting The Apprentice after Trump left, but will not be doing another season.

Just now, CritterKeeper said:

Well, apparently he was hosting The Apprentice after Trump left, but will not be doing another season.

So, still frantically trying to appease spoiled, unruly and not very bright children. The more things change...

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

So, still frantically trying to appease spoiled, unruly and not very bright children. The more things change...

Kind of the job description for entertainers. 

Politicians too, come to think of it,  Arnie has been both.