• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

A thread for discussion of video games. The previous thread expired, you see.

So, my brother downloaded The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U. And do you wanna know what happened?

First of all, you can still cut grass, and you can still break pots. Sold.

Second: One of the first powers you get is the Magnesis Rune, which lets you lift metal objects remotely. My brother used it to clear out an enemy camp by smacking them with a metal box a bunch! It was hilarious!

Third: When we finally got off the starting area, we saw foxes running around! We can totally ignore the story and go fox hunting if we want!

And now, a few things hidden under spoilers. If you want to play the game blind, stay away.

========

Story Spoiler:

Let's start with the fact that the bosses are HUMONGOUS MECHA. Just...just that. Humongous. Mecha! In a Zelda game. By Din, this is awesome!

========

Boss Spoiler:

The water boss battle is threefold: gaining entry, inside, and the interior boss. To gain entry, you have to shatter the ice it throws at you while riding the back of a Zora, and when he finds an opening, he'll throw you up a waterfall the thing is making so you can electrocute the cores at the top with lightning arrows. All in the rain. With this music. Just to gain entry!

To summarize: do the water boss last, not because it's frustrating, but because it's awesome.

========

Musical Reference Spoilers:

The game makes musical references to past Zelda games, both subtle and not-so-subtle. I posted the "riding horseback" themes on the Listening thread, which had Zelda's Lullaby snuck in during the day and the iconic Overworld / Main Theme at night. One particular character named Kass plays Epona's Song sometimes. I really like Rito Village's music, which is a remix of Dragon Roost Island. It was so unexpected, and I love the game even more for it.

I started playing a game called Rimworld, it's essentially a cross between Dwarf Fortress and Firefly. It's currently on version Alpha 16 and has been in development for several years now but you wouldn't think it was still in the alpha stage or heck, even beta stage, just by the amount of gameplay and the lack of any noticeable bugs. There's currently 3 scenarios though it has a scenario editor and steam workshop support to get scenarios created by other players, there's also 3 storytellers which are not really AIs but sets of scripts that handle events during play to throw some random stuff for you to deal with. And there's 6 levels of difficulty ranging from peaceful, where the random events tend to gentle, to extreme, where you might end up wanting to curl into a corner and hope the bad stuff goes away.

Anyway, I started a game earlier where the scenario was 3 colonists (Muir, Lumi, and Maisie) crash landed on a planet on the edge of civilized space. I order them to start clearing an are and get a small barracks set up with 3 beds so they would have a place to sleep before nightfall. After the second night I noticed that Muir and Lumi have quickly become lovers, so after spending a couple more days getting a mess hall/kitchen/food storage cooler and some basic power for lights and the cooking station, I set up a separate room with a double bed for the love birds. Shortly after, we get a visitor who wishes to join the settlement. His name is Matt and he happens to be a veterinarian so the others easily welcomed someone with a better grasp of medicine, despite the fact that Matt was quick to anger and was a prosthophile meaning he constantly wished for bionic limbs and organs. Also for some reason Matt arrived wearing nothing but a synthweave toque which made everyone uncomfortable and so they had to go on a hunting spree to get and butcher animals for enough leather for Muir to make Matt some pants and a shirt.

Things were going well for a few days, until the heatwave started followed by some sort of psychic droning that caused females to become agitated. This was not a good combo as the only cooling they had was for the food storage and it was struggling to keep the food from spoiling. The days got to be in the low 50s celcius and nights only dipped to high 30's so everyone was having trouble coping with the heat and Lumi and Maisie were in a terrible mood from the droning. 2 days into the heatwave, Lumi was passing Matt to get some dinner and said something inappropriate to him, Matt was already very frustrated about the heat and Maisie had insulted him earlier in the day so he lost it and after a short brawl between the two Lumi was dead and Matt was in rough shape as well. Muir, despite loosing his best friend and lover, dragged Matt back to the barracks and treated the wounds. Maisie has been tasked with burying Lumi as soon as possible. Meanwhile the droning and heatwave continues and we're only 13 days into the game.

Update: The heatwave and droning ended pretty much simultaneously a day after the fight that resulted in Lumi's death. Everyone calmed down just in time for an escape pod carrying pop Idol Minyoung Kim to crash nearby, Muir rushed over to find Min unconscious and bleeding badly, Muir carried her back to the barracks and treated the wounds, it took several days but Min finally regained consciousness and a day later was on her feet. Min refused to do menial labour like hauling and cleaning but she had some artistic talent and produced a few decent quality sculptures to decorate the rooms with and she wasn't afraid of getting blood on her hands and spent a fair bit of time in the kitchen butchering animals that Matt hunted while Maisie cooked the meals.

After a bit, people started complaining about sleeping arrangments because despite Muir's attempts, he could not woo Maisie and so was sleeping alone. I decided it was time to at least get Maisie and Min their own separate rooms which I made sure was air conditioned. Matt had the barracks all to himself...that is until his hunting landed him in trouble with a timber wolf that he couldn't handle and was killed. Maisie avenged Matt by killing the timber wolf but got pretty banged up in a process, oddly enough she continued to work as if nothing was wrong, she was forced to bed after leaving a fair amount of blood in the mess hall.

Also it became clear that Min had a bodyguard named Rubber who happened to crash shortly after Matt's death, Muir rescued her and it was touch and go as the crash really did a number on her and Muir had to move fast to stop the bleeding and get her stabilized. Her recovery will be lengthy.

Right down to the wire... 

So my brother rushed to beat Calamity Ganon in time for the new Mass Effect, and he's rushing through that before the next Dark Souls DLC comes out. 

Meanwhile I'm playing Zelda on a bit of a challenge run. 3 hearts, no stamina upgrades, no fast-travel. I was also not updating the map nor registering a horse, but it got frustrating not knowing the easiest path to where I was going and having to walk was too slow. 

I'm also spending too many Rupees on clothes. I have eleven Hylian Tunics, almost all dyed in different colors. I'm gonna go broke because of clothes! 

No horse and no fast travel? Reminds me of the Gamecube version of Wind Waker--it took literally half an hour of real time to cross the map.

It still takes a while to cross the map, but that's part of the appeal. Keeps the world big.

The horse I eventually did get was the Royal Stallion. I named him Sleipnir.

Funny enough: in our group save file, the first horse we registered we named Rolf. Because that's my horse.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go take a picture of a laser spear.

There's "big", and then there's "takes so long that you get bored crossing it". I experienced the latter in Wind Waker, as well as in Final Fantasy XI and XIV (the MMO Final Fantasy games, where crossing a single zone on foot took five to eight minutes at minimum, which corresponded to several HOURS of in-game time).

Just now, ijuin said:

There's "big", and then there's "takes so long that you get bored crossing it". I experienced the latter in Wind Waker, as well as in Final Fantasy XI and XIV (the MMO Final Fantasy games, where crossing a single zone on foot took five to eight minutes at minimum, which corresponded to several HOURS of in-game time).

Back in the early days of WoW if you played Alliance, you were given quests in the level 20-30 range to go over to Thousand Needles and Tanaris. You had to run through The Barrens to get there, and without a mount because you didn't get one till level 40. If you played a Night Elf, there's a chance you might have been questing in Darkshore already so it's just a matter of walking the entire length of the Barrens which took at least 20 minutes or so. If you was Human, Dwarf or Gnome though, you had to either get to Booty Bay which means running through the higher level Stranglethorn Vale zone which is about an 10 minute or so run on it's own if you don't get ganked, and then take the boat to Ratchet which is at about the halfway point of the Barrens. Or run through the Wetlands to get to Menethil Harbor and take the boat to Dustwallow Marsh which is also a higher level zone that takes about 10 minutes or so to cross on foot, and you exit just south of Ratchet so it doesn't really cut travel time much. Basically, you were in for a long run regardless and Warlocks had to do it at level 20 if they were to get their voidwalker summon.

Later, Blizzard dropped the level requirement for getting the first tier mounts from 40 to 30 and then again to 20 and the second tier faster mounts went from 60 to 40, as well as the Cataclysm expansion split the Barrens in half and redid the quest structure so that quest hubs made more sense and an NPC in one zone wasn't sending you to the other side of the world to pick up lunch or something for them.

Large zones are fine if there's a lot to see and do in them, but the Barrens pretty much lived up to it's name pre-cataclysm.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Large zones are fine if there's a lot to see and do in them, but the Barrens pretty much lived up to it's name pre-cataclysm.

Oh man. This brings back the memories. Back in the days of Vanilla WoW I once decided to have a level ten character explore the entire available game world and get all the flight points she could. The low level areas went fine. The medium level areas... proved challenging. As I advanced into the higher level areas, I suffered death after death after death as monsters aggroed at me from huge distances because of the vast level differential. It took a LOT of patience and respawning before I was done.

Nonetheless, I managed to get almost every single available flight point except for a bare handful. And gained three levels from exploration XP alone. o.O

12 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Oh man. This brings back the memories. Back in the days of Vanilla WoW I once decided to have a level ten character explore the entire available game world and get all the flight points she could. The low level areas went fine. The medium level areas... proved challenging. As I advanced into the higher level areas, I suffered death after death after death as monsters aggroed at me from huge distances because of the vast level differential. It took a LOT of patience and respawning before I was done.

Nonetheless, I managed to get almost every single available flight point except for a bare handful. And gained three levels from exploration XP alone. o.O

A guild I was in did a race from the Forsaken starting area (obviously we all had to create Forsaken characters for this) and from level 1 run all the way to Booty Bay, the first one there got a Mekgineer's Chopper. I was third and was just behind second place getting there. And yeah we all gained several levels from exploration XP. This was during Wrath of the Lich King.

4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Nice. If it had been a Final Fantasy MMO, then you would have LOST several levels' worth of XP from all of the deaths (FFXI and FFXIV both had an XP loss as a penalty for respawning, though the penalty could be avoided by having another player Raise you instead).

15 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Nice. If it had been a Final Fantasy MMO, then you would have LOST several levels' worth of XP from all of the deaths (FFXI and FFXIV both had an XP loss as a penalty for respawning, though the penalty could be avoided by having another player Raise you instead).

Playing FFXI solo would have been more bearable if it didn't take away XP and levels for dying. I beta tested a bit of FFXIV:Realm Reborn and didn't notice deaths being as harsh, but then again, the solo experience felt much more like WoW and so it was more survivable.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Nah, in WoW the penalty from death was deducted in the form of equipment damage and time spent recovering your body. Once you 'die' you get your spirit teleported to a graveyard and from there you must navigate the terrain back to your body, which you then 'recover' by respawning. Or you could respawn directly at the graveyard at a penalty of even further equipment damage as well as ten minutes of 'resurrection sickness' during which you suffer a huge penalty to attack, damage and hit points.

I was actually able to use this a few times during my insane quest to explore the whole world while being way too low level. I could die in a new territory and then if I was lucky, my spirit would appear in a graveyard much closer to my objective than my body was. From there I could respawn and continue on. The further penalties did not matter in my case because my gear was already in absolute shreds and I was powerless to affect the high level spawn anyway.

36 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I was actually able to use this a few times during my insane quest to explore the whole world while being way too low level. I could die in a new territory and then if I was lucky, my spirit would appear in a graveyard much closer to my objective than my body was. From there I could respawn and continue on. The further penalties did not matter in my case because my gear was already in absolute shreds and I was powerless to affect the high level spawn anyway.

Yeah, it starts off easy, just a matter of sticking to roads and avoiding mobs, then you get into zones where mobs are 20 levels higher and it's a matter of outrunning them. Then the mobs are 40 levels higher and you get one shot by a ranged attack and it's now become a corpse run where you get back to your body and respawn at the maximum range it allows and in the direction you need to go and hope you make it 10 steps before you get shot again.

More Zelda:

After a lot of mining, trading, raiding the castle, and sidequests, I ended up with a massive horde of gems to sell whenever I want. Probably sitting on twenty-thousand Rupees worth of gems.

I bought a set of armor in a northeastern town and then went further north to buy some Ancient Arrows (which are Super Effective against Guardians). So I got to the place... Stopped... Turned around and headed south. I can't buy arrows without Rupees. :P

1 hour ago, Zorua said:

More Zelda:

After a lot of mining, trading, raiding the castle, and sidequests, I ended up with a massive horde of gems to sell whenever I want. Probably sitting on twenty-thousand Rupees worth of gems.

I bought a set of armor in a northeastern town and then went further north to buy some Ancient Arrows (which are Super Effective against Guardians). So I got to the place... Stopped... Turned around and headed south. I can't buy arrows without Rupees. :P

Travelling can be highly entertaining in open sandbox game worlds.

One time, in World of Warcraft, I had left a server in favour of another one where I could play Horde instead of Alliance. I stayed there for a year, then went back to visit my old server. I logged in on my priest and found she was in the middle of a muddy swamp. Thankfully there was an outpost with a flight point right next to her.

I headed straight there but as soon as I rode through the front gates all the guards attacked me and stomped me flat. In my eagerness I had forgotten I was now on an Alliance character and had headed into the Horde outpost I was by now in the habit of using in that area. This was not one of my better ideas.

So I'm officially in love with Persona 5; Atlus' goofy theatrics regarding streaming & let's play vids notwithstanding, it is simply one of the best JRPGs to hit in a long time.  If you're familiar with the Persona series, all of the mechanics and gameplay will be comfortable to slip into.  It's a coherent, fully realized package where every element of the design serves to pull you into its motif of rebellion and trying to change the world for the better.  

I would recommend the free download of the Japanese vocal track, but that's driven more by how much the pronunciation of some of the character names in the English version bothers the oxen exhaust out of me....

Splatoon this time. 

If the colorful multiplayer-focused team shooter with collectible hats didn't already give off a Team Fortress 2 vibe, say hello to Sasha. Or rather, the Heavy Splatling. 

I used to main the Splat Roller, an oversized paint roller that inks turf as you go. Instant kill if you roll over someone, and survivable but considerable damage if you swing the roller to throw a splatter of ink. Short range weapon, obviously. Its secondary weapon or "sub-weapon" is the Suction Bomb, which sticks to any surface and has a large blast radius but a long fuse. Throw it over a wall, stick it behind a corner to surprise a pursuer, or put it next to the little indicator that says someone is jumping back to the action so when they get back it splats them immediately. And it's special weapon (comparable to an ult in Smite or a final smash in Smash Bros.) is the Killer Wail, a sonic laser of death that splats foes but doesn't ink any turf. Great for clearing out narrow pathways and sniper spots. I liked the roller because it has high ink coverage and because I'm not good at shooter games in general, so a melee weapon that leaves an escape route as I walk felt like a good idea. I picked the Splat Roller specifically because the other rollers had either horribly slow ink flings, leaving a huge opening for them, or specials that didn't work well for me. Having a somewhat decent fling and a helpful ranged special worked well for me, especially when I hung back to ink turf while the others took the front lines. Trouble is, me playing the roller meant the only things that didn't out-range me were other rollers (the Inkbrushes, to be specific). Snipers in particular were a pain. Walls are also a weakness to rollers, so anyone on a high perch tended to be out of my reach with me in their crosshairs regardless of what weapon they used. There are tons of good roller users, so it was just me that sucked at it, not the weapon set. I'd be lucky to cover 600 points of turf in one match. 

After switching to the Heavy Splatling, I'm regularly covering 800 to 1000 points or more per match. Booyah! Splatlings are miniguns with considerable range, and the longer you charge them, the longer they fire before needing to charge again. The Heavy Splatling in particular comes with the Splash Wall as its sub. A temporary curtain of raining ink that blocks enemy shots while letting friendly shots through unimpeded. It buys time to charge a shot or fire a special, let's you approach snipers with less risk, and blocks narrow hallways. It's special is the Inkstrike, which is practically an air strike tornado vortex of ink. Use it to kick snipers off their perch and into your range, fire it deep into their turf so they have to waste time covering it when they respawn... Oh how I love to set one of those off in the last second of the match when they can do absolutely nothing to stop it. I still do the "hang back and cover turf" thing and I'm not the best at aiming, but this kit's working well for me, so I'm gonna stick with it. Plus, it's a minigun. 

Also the victory animation for when you win with a minigun is you hug the barrel like it's a teddy bear. ^.^

And then I find myself doing surprisingly well with the N-Zap '89, a 1989-coloration Nintendo Zapper repurposed into an ink gun. 

The N-Zap is a Shooter-type weapon. Shooters generally have medium range and a high rate of fire. Holding the fire button let's you shoot continuously until you run out of ink. The N-Zap covers turf quickly and can kill enemies quickly at close range, but it's less accurate further away, so if you're going for kills, play tactically. The '89's sub is the Sprinkler, which sprinkles ink around it, even when you go do something else. Good for covering turf to build up your special and for serving as bait to lure enemies in (plus the Sprinkler splatters do deal damage, so getting a kill with it is rare but possible). And between the decent ink coverage of the N-Zap and the Sprinkler, you find yourself getting your Inkstrike quite often. >:) I might be a fan of Inkstrikes. 

Meanwhile, in Hyrule, I took down a Silver Lynel. Lynels have lots of health, good weapons, and very smart A.I. Silver Lynels have the strongest equipment in the game, barring the Hylian Shield and the Bow of Light (and even then, if you get lucky with bonuses...) and more health than the final boss. Having good armor helps, but against a Silver Lynel, it's generally a war of attrition; can you win before you run out of weapons or healing items? 

I've been doing good with the Wasabi Splattershot lately. The Splattershot is the basic weapon all shooter-type weapons get compared to. Medium range, decent rate of fire, and moderate accuracy make it truly the jack-of-all-trades here. It's such an average weapon that it's good for any stage and any playstyle. The three Splattershot kits differ in their sub and special, and the Wasabi kit is built around covering turf. It's sub is the Splat Bomb, which is basically a grenade. I like to throw it over a wall and move on, but they're also great for clearing sniper perches and checking around corners. And it's special is the Inkstrike. I just love Inkstrikes so much. 

Back in Hyrule, I got the classic green tunic, which, despite its iconic look, is not the best piece of armor in the game; the Ancient armor is just as good and has better bonus effects, while the Champion's Tunic has even higher defense. I've also gotten better at fighting Silver Lynels and am trying to farm dragon parts. 

...what? I don't play many video games. This is all I got.

Now for a Splatoon weapon I don't play... 

The Aerospray is a type of shooter with a very high rate of fire and a wide ink spread. These things are great at covering turf... 

So when the average player gets something like 500 points of turf per match, with good players getting 700, 900, or even 1100 points, it frustrates me to see an Aerospray user get a mere 95! Like, they were actually in the game and went out to do stuff and everything! I saw this Aerospray guy on the other team walking forwards, not even shooting when there was no reason not to. He was basically a free kill. Like, what gives, dude? 

I'm wondering if he's a Call of Duty player, thinking that shooting the ground and not a person is a waste of ammo. 

In other news, I've been slowly learning the Japanese alphabet just so I can pronounce these other players' names. So far I have three vowels down...

I feel like I'm the only one posting here solely to keep it from getting too old and forcing me to make a third one lest the mods get after me for necroposting.

Anywho, I decided to switch to the starting weapon for a change. The Splattershot Jr. Compared to the Splattershot, it has less range, less accuracy, and less damage per shot, in exchange for a wider spread of ink, higher rate of fire, and less ink consumed per shot. Since new players might find themselves up against more experienced players quite often, the Jr. had to be capable of standing up to other weapon sets, so they gave it a sub and special that made it pretty viable no matter how good or bad you were. Its sub is the Splat Bomb again, good for checking corners, clearing an area before you advance, cleaning out sniper perches, scaring the enemy into moving where you want them to... Splat Bombs are fairly versatile. Its special is the Bubbler, a protective forcefield that lasts for about four-and-a-half seconds. If you get close enough to an ally with a Bubbler active, they will also get a Bubbler. Bubblers let you survive a near-death experience, take on two enemies at once with less risk, defend allies in a support role, protect you while you try to jump away, and more. Between the Jr.'s rate of fire and wide ink spread, the Bubbler comes up a lot, making it perfect for newcomers and veterans alike.

My experience with the Jr.... It's kinda hit and miss. I'm not consistently getting obscene amounts of turf because I don't have that Inkstrike, but I was doing alright. Lower win-loss ratio, but surprisingly higher kill-death ratio. Gotta love that Bubbler.

Then, I was wondering if I could activate the Bubbler while Super-Jumping. All players can Super-Jump, which sends them to an ally or to spawn. There's a sub-weapon called the Squid Beakon that is basically a placeable temporary Super-Jump point, so I switched to the Krak-On Splat Roller (a roller that has the Squid Beakon as its sub), went into training mode, placed a Beakon, then switched to the Jr., built up my special, jumped to the Beakon, and kept mashing the "Use Your Special" button until it worked. When you Super-Jump, there's an icon at the spot where you're going to land, which is a big target for any nearby enemies to try and shoot. I've personally stood still next to a Super-Jump icon firing at it, so when they landed they got a face full of ink bullets, killing them instantly. With a Bubbler, activating it shortly before hitting the ground means I would survive that and possibly splat the enemy too.

Unfortunately, when I went into a match, I realized I'd forgotten to change back to another weapon. I still had the Krak-On Splat Roller (when you exit training mode, you have the same weapon set that you went in with, even if you switch to another weapon while in training). Since I entered with the Krak-On, I left with the Krak-On). Still, I decided to give it a shot. The Krak-On Splat Roller is identical to the vanilla Splat Roller in terms of stats, only differing in its sub and special. What is its special? It's the Kraken. The Kraken turns you into a triple-sized invincible squid that can swim through any inkable surface, even enemy ink. As the Kraken you can't use your regular weapons, but jumping performs an instant-kill spin attack. I avoided Kraken weapon kits because I thought them difficult to use, but I decided to give it a try. I think I did alright, but I kept not getting my special 'cause I kept dying. I tried to place Beakons, but I felt like I was the only one using them.

On the subject of Squid Beakons, the most annoying thing to see is a Squid Beakon placed on or next to spawn. You can already super-jump to spawn why do you need a beakon there? Maybe, maybe they're used to placing Sprinklers on spawn and forgot they'd switched to a Beakon weapon, but it's still annoying.

Starting yesterday, I've created a "character" that isn't doing missions and didn't do the tutorial, just the "free" ship and its crappy gear.  As of right now, I have two frigates and  4.4 Misk

For themed threads, TOH has been pretty chill about posting gaps.  Stuff like Favorite Quotes and What Have You Been.... have died down and come back to life without a problem.  It's mostly stuff like the threads about a particular comic or event that have a short expiration date.

25 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

For themed threads, TOH has been pretty chill about posting gaps.  Stuff like Favorite Quotes and What Have You Been.... have died down and come back to life without a problem.  It's mostly stuff like the threads about a particular comic or event that have a short expiration date.

The Moderator: As above. I tend to be a lot more forgiving about the themed threads in the Off Topic forum, which is rather informal anyway. They are just so useful for venting, gossiping and generally shooting the breeze. Don't worry too much about it, if it ever starts to become a problem I will warn people of it well ahead of time.