• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dabat

Story: Monday, March 13, 2017

73 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, mlooney said:
46 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Primary Protagonist Syndrome (the story comes looking for him them), Elliot has the Main 8, Cat and Rhoda, and Ashley have precisely zero chance of not having another incident.

1

Fixed it for you.

... yes, seems Primary Protagonist Syndrome is highly contagious in EGS. Still, who is patient zero - Tedd or Elliot? Logically speaking, it should've been Tedd as Dangerous rarity, but Elliot seem to have harder case ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

... yes, seems Primary Protagonist Syndrome is highly contagious in EGS. Still, who is patient zero - Tedd or Elliot? Logically speaking, it should've been Tedd as Dangerous rarity, but Elliot seem to have harder case ...

The Goo is patient zero, obviously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect that Patient Zero in the Moperville outbreak of Primary Protagonist Syndrome was neither Elliot nor Tedd, even though they were the first two identified patients.

No, Patient Zero was Mrs Kitsune.  When her sister abandoned Tedd and Edward, Mrs Kitsune did everything she could to quarantine herself from infecting others.  Unfortunately, she infected her nephew which caused him to get beaten up in school.  This brought him in contact with Elliot.  And the contagion spread from there.

Mrs Kitsune>Tedd>Elliot>Sarah
Mrs Kitsune>Nanase

Nanase or Sarah may have infected Susan, who infected Catalina

Elliot Infected Justin.  Nanase, Elliot, or Justin may have infected Sensei Greg.

Ellen was "born" infected.

 

Dabat likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

No, Patient Zero was Mrs. Kitsune... <attack of the clip monster>

Mrs Kitsune>Tedd>Elliot>Sarah
Mrs Kitsune>Nanase

Nanase or Sarah may have infected Susan, who infected Catalina

Elliot Infected Justin.  Nanase, Elliot, or Justin may have infected Sensei Greg.

Ellen was "born" infected.

1

Once you add in Catalina infected Rhoda, I accept this as canon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking that once the infections of Susan and Justin were explained, everything else falls into place.

But it might not hurt to chart it out in full.  Who is infected and showing symptoms (active main characters).  Who is infected but showing mild symptoms (interesting but infrequently used secondary characters).  Who may be infected but shows no symptoms, yet (background characters who could become bigger players).  And of course, who infected whom.

Oh, Diane I think was infected by Nanase, even though Nanase tried to avoid contact with Diane early on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I suspect that Patient Zero in the Moperville outbreak of Primary Protagonist Syndrome was neither Elliot nor Tedd, even though they were the first two identified patients.

If we go by when characters were created, Tedd and Sarah predates EGS, though Amanda predates even them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

No, Patient Zero was Mrs Kitsune.  When her sister abandoned Tedd and Edward, Mrs Kitsune did everything she could to quarantine herself from infecting others.  Unfortunately, she infected her nephew which caused him to get beaten up in school.  This brought him in contact with Elliot.  And the contagion spread from there.

Mrs Kitsune doesn't seem to have it, at least not strong. Although she may be carrier, but then, wouldn't more logical explanation be that patient zero is PANDORA? Contagious form of Primary Protagonist syndrome can be one of sideefects of immortals not reseting too long. She has high natural resistance, so she managed to avoid appearing in first few chapters, but in recent NP story her infected status is apparent.

And, obviously, she infected Adrian, who infected Edward Verres, Noriko Verres and Mrs. Kitsune ... ANYONE of them might infected Tedd who then infected Elliot, Mrs. Kitsune obviously infected Nanase ... we can continue as in your idea.

Also, I suspect that Noriko Verres have strong case of primary protagonist syndrome, but she escaped EGS and powers some other work.

18 hours ago, Scotty said:
19 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I suspect that Patient Zero in the Moperville outbreak of Primary Protagonist Syndrome was neither Elliot nor Tedd, even though they were the first two identified patients.

If we go by when characters were created, Tedd and Sarah predates EGS, though Amanda predates even them.

Right. So, no matter how we look at it, Elliot must've caught it from Tedd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Right. So, no matter how we look at it, Elliot must've caught it from Tedd.

Make sense to me.  Isn't the standard procedure to blame Tedd any way?

5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Someone thinks Elliot is Dangerous And Very Expensive, perhaps?

Sorry, the relevant part is near the bottom of a very long post in the Freefall forum.....

Are you saying that Elliot is FTL capable?

CritterKeeper likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Are you saying that Elliot is FTL capable?

Possibly if Tensaided hits on him in Cheerleadra form, though considering that Tensaided now knows Elliot's secret (unless of course Edward's plan convinces him and if Susan didn't say anything to confirm it) Elliot may have other reasons to avoid Tensaided

mlooney likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Scotty said:

Possibly if Tensaided hits on him in Cheerleadra form, though considering that Tensaided now knows Elliot's secret (unless of course Edward's plan convinces him and if Susan didn't say anything to confirm it) Elliot may have other reasons to avoid Tensaided

While overflights of aircraft doing supersonic speeds have been proven not to break windows (via MythBusters), I suspect that generating one inside a building might be messy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While overflights of aircraft doing supersonic speeds have been proven not to break windows (via MythBusters)

Seems altitude would be relevant there.

According to a story I heard, there was an incident in the Mediterranean where a Soviet pilot, in a fit of pique over being outflown by an American pilot (also in severe violation of orders) fired a missile into the American plane. Naturally all sorts of high-level diplomacy followed, but there were also some low-level considerations: the American fleet commander COULD NOT let that go without response, and the Soviet fleet commander knew it. But also, neither wanted to escalate it. So a couple days later there were a bunch of American aircraft conducting mock combat exercises just-barely-not-too-close to the Soviet fleet, and naturally the Soviets were keeping a very careful eye on them... and two American fighters came in at wave-top altitude and flew over the Soviet carrier in opposite directions about 20 feet off the deck and 10 feet from the tower. At about mach 2.

(I have no idea whether this story is true or not.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

 

 

Seems altitude would be relevant there.

According to a story I heard, there was an incident in the Mediterranean where a Soviet pilot, in a fit of pique over being outflown by an American pilot (also in severe violation of orders) fired a missile into the American plane. Naturally all sorts of high-level diplomacy followed, but there were also some low-level considerations: the American fleet commander COULD NOT let that go without response, and the Soviet fleet commander knew it. But also, neither wanted to escalate it. So a couple days later there were a bunch of American aircraft conducting mock combat exercises just-barely-not-too-close to the Soviet fleet, and naturally the Soviets were keeping a very careful eye on them... and two American fighters came in at wave-top altitude and flew over the Soviet carrier in opposite directions about 20 feet off the deck and 10 feet from the tower. At about mach 2.

(I have no idea whether this story is true or not.)

I have this story from a friend of mine whose father served as ground personnel in the Danish Air Force.

During the Cold War, the Russians liked to send spy planes aggressively close to Danish airspace. In fact, they were not-so-borderline violating it at times. This annoyed the commander of the antiaircraft-battery station where my friend's father served to no end. One day he had had it and told all his batteries to get a target lock on the intruding plane.

It left. Really, really fast. And next day the Russian embassy lodged a formal complaint. But from that day on those spy planes were a good deal more cautious about violating Danish airspace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mlooney said:

While overflights of aircraft doing supersonic speeds have been proven not to break windows (via MythBusters), I suspect that generating one inside a building might be messy.

There's overflight at supersonic speeds and breaking the sound barrier.   As an aircraft approaches the speed of sound it builds up a shockwave of air moving barely or not at all faster than the plane.  I'm pretty sure it's that shockwave that produces the characteristic "sonic boom" and broken windows if not handled properly.

Jumping instantly to supersonic speeds probably wouldn't create a "sonic book" shockwave but in the confined space of a building could break windows that wouldn't be broken by a flyby outside the building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Seems altitude would be relevant there.

According to a story I heard, there was an incident in the Mediterranean where a Soviet pilot, in a fit of pique over being outflown by an American pilot (also in severe violation of orders) fired a missile into the American plane. Naturally all sorts of high-level diplomacy followed, but there were also some low-level considerations: the American fleet commander COULD NOT let that go without response, and the Soviet fleet commander knew it. But also, neither wanted to escalate it. So a couple days later there were a bunch of American aircraft conducting mock combat exercises just-barely-not-too-close to the Soviet fleet, and naturally the Soviets were keeping a very careful eye on them... and two American fighters came in at wave-top altitude and flew over the Soviet carrier in opposite directions about 20 feet off the deck and 10 feet from the tower. At about mach 2.

(I have no idea whether this story is true or not.)

I'd be curious if the soviet missile was fired "at" the US jet or "into" it.  "Into" implies the US jet was "damaged or destroyed", while "at" would not. 

That might be easy info to come by because it would cut to the effectiveness of both Russian and US hardware and US piloi training.  If such an incident occurred, analysts would have gone over every millisecond of time, charting hardware and human interactions. what went as expected, what didn't.  And might still be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

Jumping instantly to supersonic speeds probably wouldn't create a "sonic book" shockwave but in the confined space of a building could break windows that wouldn't be broken by a flyby outside the building.

You do know that a lot of the noise made by guns is the sound of bullet's sonic boom.  There are some subsonic rounds, but most break the sound barrier they leave the muzzle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mlooney said:

You do know that a lot of the noise made by guns is the sound of bullet's sonic boom.  There are some subsonic rounds, but most break the sound barrier they leave the muzzle.

There is also the explosion that accelerated the bullet to supersonic speeds to begin with...

Edit: I'd be curious how much of a "boom" a railgun makes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

Jumping instantly to supersonic speeds probably wouldn't create a "sonic book" shockwave but in the confined space of a building could break windows that wouldn't be broken by a flyby outside the building.

I'm pretty sure that jumping instantly to supersonic speed would cause all sort of problems considering the energy needed. However, acceleration in millions of g seems relatively safe to everything except the accelerated stuff.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I'm pretty sure that jumping instantly to supersonic speed would cause all sort of problems considering the energy needed. However, acceleration in millions of g seems relatively safe to everything except the accelerated stuff.

I was intentionally setting aside the bizarre logistics of actually jumping to supersonic speed inside a building...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:
27 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I'm pretty sure that jumping instantly to supersonic speed would cause all sort of problems considering the energy needed. However, acceleration in millions of g seems relatively safe to everything except the accelerated stuff.

I was intentionally setting aside the bizarre logistics of actually jumping to supersonic speed inside a building...

Well, Flash and Quicksilver were probably speeding to supersonic speeds inside buildings quite often. Also, several vampires. But I suspect authors of those put the logistics aside as well.

I was just deliberately making fun of that "instantly".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Well, Flash and Quicksilver were probably speeding to supersonic speeds inside buildings quite often. Also, several vampires. But I suspect authors of those put the logistics aside as well.

It gets really messy if you don't, to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:
43 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Well, Flash and Quicksilver were probably speeding to supersonic speeds inside buildings quite often. Also, several vampires. But I suspect authors of those put the logistics aside as well.

It gets really messy if you don't, to be honest.

Almost forgot Superman.

It may not really get messier than transformations or resizes :)

Unless the authors really overdo it and make Flash move faster than light, still on Earth surface. Or Superman flying into past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0