• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

NP Wednesday March 15, 2017

A "robot kegger" definitely sounds like Bender as well.

But seriously, fueling robots with alcohol is perfectly sensible in a world where all of the petroleum ran out two hundred years ago (one of the causes of the nuclear war was fighting over the last known large accessible petroleum deposit), and in which the infrastructure for refining and enriching enough Uranium to give every robot its own nuclear power source is likewise no longer available. However, the robot fuel would be less "Beer" and more "Everclear".

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Moo.

1 hour ago, Stature said:

Mee moo.

That explains everything!

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

I know this is video game stuff, but it's not in my wheelhouse.  And, to be brutally honest about it, I don't care.

Eh, I'm a little surprised to find that I am interested, at least in the process Dan went through to come up with the little forewarned guy.  :-)

The beauty of open world games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls is that while there is the main quest line and all the faction quests and such, it can be done in any order for the most part, do I complete the main quest first? Or maybe do dark brotherhood first and then work on getting all the hearthfire houses? You can even ignore those quests and just move from town to town picking up bounties.

And then of course those game in particular are very mod friendly so you can add stuff to enhance or completely change the experience.

It's weird how Dan is nervous about getting Bethesda knocking on his door with a cease and desist order if he drew codsworth to more closely resemble the actual Fallout 4 robot, I haven't heard of them going after other people for it and they don't go after people who make Fallout lets plays.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

The beauty of open world games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls is that while there is the main quest line and all the faction quests and such, it can be done in any order for the most part, do I complete the main quest first? Or maybe do dark brotherhood first and then work on getting all the hearthfire houses? You can even ignore those quests and just move from town to town picking up bounties.

In Eve, while there are missions you can do most players with more than a few months under their belt tend not to do them and just do PvP or money-making projects, or both.

If you were to view each side of the pincers as separate tentacles, then it would be an octopus.  I could even see how some natural octopi might evolve from eight independent tentacles to four sets of fused tentacles to form precision manipulator arms.

And didn't Dr Octopus have four robotic arms and his original two arms and two legs to make a total of eight?

1 hour ago, Sjmcc13 said:

Am I the only one who thinks Codsworth needs a Monocle, on his middle eye?

Well, maybe you were the only one...

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

In Eve, while there are missions you can do most players with more than a few months under their belt tend not to do them and just do PvP or money-making projects, or both.

Eve is probably the most open ended MMO out there, yeah there's PVE content, there's backstory to how things came to be and there are ongoing things happening and such, the majority of what happens is player driven, people playing the economy game, someone in very expensive faction ship gets ganked, two corps fighting in a wardec outside Jita. A corp gets infiltrated and has assets stolen or worse, all the way up to huge alliances fighting over sovereignty in nullsec. Sometimes if something truly impressive happens, CCP will create something in game to commemorate it, like the "Bloodbath of B-R5RB" there's now a titan graveyard in the system because of the number of titans that were lost in the battle.

I don't want to play Eve.  I want to be a fly on the wall when certain things happen.  Eve has seen massive player corporation wars.  I'd like a ringside seat for big stuff like that. 

9 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

I don't want to play Eve.  I want to be a fly on the wall when certain things happen.  Eve has seen massive player corporation wars.  I'd like a ringside seat for big stuff like that. 

You could always join EveNews24. ;)

16 hours ago, ijuin said:

But seriously, fueling robots with alcohol is perfectly sensible in a world where all of the petroleum ran out two hundred years ago (one of the causes of the nuclear war was fighting over the last known large accessible petroleum deposit), and in which the infrastructure for refining and enriching enough Uranium to give every robot its own nuclear power source is likewise no longer available. However, the robot fuel would be less "Beer" and more "Everclear".

I would assume that even without government insisting on poisoning alcohol not intended for consumption it would be simpler to create denatured alcohol than Everclear.

10 hours ago, Sjmcc13 said:

Am I the only one who thinks Codsworth needs a Monocle, on his middle eye?

Yes.

In needs to be left eye.

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And didn't Dr Octopus have four robotic arms and his original two arms and two legs to make a total of eight?

He had, but question is if he really counted it that way or it just adds up by chance.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I would assume that even without government insisting on poisoning alcohol not intended for consumption it would be simpler to create denatured alcohol than Everclear.

Well yes, but I was playing on the Futurama-like gag of robots drinking actual made-for-human-consumption booze. Robots wouldn't do so well on stuff that has low proof and lots of sugar still in it (e.g. beer and wine)--they would want the highly-distilled stuff (e.g. whiskey).

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Nonsense. He needs a monocle for all three eyes. Taking the old monocle gag to eleven. Or at least three.

If it's three, then would that make it a tri-cle?

53 minutes ago, Scotty said:

As long as he gets a top hat as well.

Top hats are not for butlers.  They are for Opera Snobs, Chimney Sweeps, and Dickensian Street Urchins. 

7 minutes ago, ijuin said:

If it's three, then would that make it a tri-cle?

Not if it is a separate monocle for each eye.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Relevant detail added

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

My favorite monocle gag was from "Young Frankenstein," where the town constable (or whatever his rank was) wore a monocle on top of a patch over an eye.

Well it is kind of hard to top Mel Brooks. 

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

As long as he gets a top hat as well.

Isn't the Bowler hat more of a British stereotype? 

19 minutes ago, Sjmcc13 said:

Isn't the Bowler hat more of a British stereotype? 

There is sort of an informal alliance between steampunk and cephalopods, so any time I see an octopus with a monocle, I would immediately think that it needs a top hat.  Possibly one with gears on it, if we're going for the full cliche, but if the octopus in question is already mechanical then that's covered already.

16 hours ago, ijuin said:
22 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Well yes, but I was playing on the Futurama-like gag of robots drinking actual made-for-human-consumption booze. Robots wouldn't do so well on stuff that has low proof and lots of sugar still in it (e.g. beer and wine)--they would want the highly-distilled stuff (e.g. whiskey).

I think sugar burns reasonably well. Definitely compared to water. So yes on "no beer and wine", no for "because sugar" ... and I'm not sure about whiskey, although considering some people managed to build car running on it, it probably would work.