• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

On 4/21/2017 at 6:43 AM, mlooney said:

It's here.  I can look forward to several days of rain now.  The bluebird of happiness has filled my cup of joy.

[edit]

And the humidity is making me sweat like a sweating thing.  Not the same as the waking up heavy sweat thing however.

I always wondered where the "sweat like a pig" similie came from to describe heavy sweating, given that pigs are physically incapable of sweating because they have no sweat glands.

34 minutes ago, ijuin said:

I always wondered where the "sweat like a pig" similie came from to describe heavy sweating, given that pigs are physically incapable of sweating because they have no sweat glands.

They aren't completely bereft of sweat glands, but they don't have nearly as many as humans, who are the champion sweaters of the animal kingdom.  The phrase "sweating like a pig" apparently actually refers to pig iron, and the way that, as it cools from extremely high temperatures, it eventually cools enough for moisture in the surrounding air to condense into water droplets on its surface.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Because I am stranger than most, I will normally say "pigging like a sweat"

76° and 100% chance of rain tonight.  And 80% chance Saturday, 60% Sunday.

Depending on who I read Tulsa metro is due between 2 through 6 inches of rain. "Locally higher amounts up to 10 inches"  Flash flood warning until Sunday night.

I would say my cup of joy overflows but I suspect it will float away instead.

5 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

We're getting mlooney's rain tomorrow evening, I think. Possibly with baseball-sized hail. Gonna be interesting to experience without my meds.

Sorry, but I'm now associating you with my own patients who react badly to thunderstorms and fireworks.  Have you tried a Thundershirt?  ;-)

51 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Sorry, but I'm now associating you with my own patients who react badly to thunderstorms and fireworks.  Have you tried a Thundershirt?  ;-)

Do they even make them for humans?

45 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Do they even make them for humans?

The winking smiley doubts it, but could be wrong.

Actually, come to think of it, that's got to be somebody's kink somewhere, so perhaps it was a saucey winking smiley?

3 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

We're getting mlooney's rain tomorrow evening, I think. Possibly with baseball-sized hail. Gonna be interesting to experience without my meds.

Well I have had my first thunderstorm, but radar shows more coming.  Not that much rain as yet.  And against all odds, no power flickering.  And Cox "we spam our customers we both email and dead tree mail" Cable hasn't failed yet

We had a bunch of rain tonight, sometime pouring rather hard, but apparently it was even worse in Dan's area.  There's apparently flooding in Dan's neck of the woods, delaying today's comic.  Best of luck to him!

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

We had a bunch of rain tonight, sometime pouring rather hard, but apparently it was even worse in Dan's area.  There's apparently flooding in Dan's neck of the woods, delaying today's comic.  Best of luck to him!

Flooding here is peaking and most rivers and creeks should be below flood stage by Tuesday morning.  Wind threat lowered to gusts up to 35 mph.  Then, later in the week thunderstorms come back.  Ah, the rainy season in the southern plains.  We don't always get it, but when we do, well like the old salt commercial said "When it rains, it pours".

Most of the flooding in this batch has been the Caney river, which is the first river north of the Tulsa Metro flood control projects.  It's also in mainly farm and cattle country, so there's not a tax base, or when you really get down to it, a reason to, build a major flood control system.  Almost all of the houses are well above the "normal" flooding zone and cattle have high ground to move to in the case of floods. 

The people of Tulsa look at the Caney as an object lesson as to why we have an award winning flood control system.

Last note on the flooding.  Tulsa had the most rain in recorded history for an April.  About a half inch more than the killer flood of 1984, in which 13 people died.  Effect this time?  One intersection in way south Tulsa was blocked for about 12 hours.  There is a reason why Tulsa has the best flood rating in the country and flood insurance is 45% off in the metro area.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Last note on the flooding.  Tulsa had the most rain in recorded history for an April.  About a half inch more than the killer flood of 1984, in which 13 people died.  Effect this time?  One intersection in way south Tulsa was blocked for about 12 hours.  There is a reason why Tulsa has the best flood rating in the country and flood insurance is 45% off in the metro area.

For some reason it fills me with deep satisfaction when politicians manage to come together and make a truly dramatic improvement for society, even on a municipal level. I am very glad you have that flood control system. :)

The weather service has finally completed their survey of tornadoes that hit counties to the east of the D/FW Metroplex over the weekend. Seven twisters touched down, including an EF-4 that had 180 MPH winds. Four people lost their lives among the varied storms.

I need to go for a walk in the Riverpark.  Over the last few storms there has been a lot of [redacted] close lightning strikes.  If I wasn't awake before, I damn sure am now.  And the poor dog upstairs is still freaking out.

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Storms forecast for the early afternoon here—just when we've got to get out on the road and head to my spine doctor. [insert curse word of your choice here]

That does pull about a quarter of a Ll.  Unless it the thunderstorms turn twisty and such, then it might pull a full Ll

64° and the Caney is still slightly above flood stage.  Current forecast is for no more rain until the end of next week, when we have a 30% chance.

On 5/3/2017 at 11:07 AM, mlooney said:

That does pull about a quarter of a Ll.  Unless it the thunderstorms turn twisty and such, then it might pull a full Ll

We avoided the twistyness, but not the ferocity of a North Texas spring front on our way to the Spine Team appointment. Got hit by almost every kind of rain known to Douglas Adams's Rain God, and even got a single pea-sized piece of hail. Windy as hell, too, as Mrs. Prof drove us across the Lake Ray Hubbard bridge. Almost had an 18-wheeler pushed into us. Just all kinds of fun.