• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

This morning we had a couple dozen raindrops hit the roof.

On the other hand, our new hummingbird feeder was the site of an aerial battle a bit later, with no fewer than five hummingbirds at it.

(The old one got knocked out of the tree in a windstorm a couple weeks ago, and split completely in two when it hit the ground.)

7 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

(The old one got knocked out of the tree in a windstorm a couple weeks ago, and split completely in two when it hit the ground.)

Yeah, these hummingbird attack runs do get nasty. I think they are taking a leaf from the butterflies' book.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

The tornado that hit Tulsa was about 5 miles from my apartment.  About 30 people injured, with no known fatalities.

This is the first we've heard of it. I've run a scan through all of the "news" channels, and they're all talking heads. We don't get TWC, we get Accuweather, which means no weather news. Damn!

Just now, ProfessorTomoe said:

This is the first we've heard of it. I've run a scan through all of the "news" channels, and they're all talking heads. We don't get TWC, we get Accuweather, which means no weather news. Damn!

From The Tulsa World:

The National Weather Service on Sunday confirmed an EF2 tornado — with winds of 111-135 mph — touched down in midtown Tulsa.

Most of those hurt had lacerations and other injuries, but most were treated and released, a hospital spokeswoman said.

No deaths were reported.

The area that received the most damage is 41st to 51st streets from Harvard to Mingo. The shopping corridor at 41st and Yale is closed currently. The city of Tulsa has closed 41st-51st streets between Memorial and Sheridan, and 41st from Yale to Sheridan.

I live 2 miles south and 2 miles west of there.  That is my major shopping area, however.

1 minute ago, mlooney said:

I live 2 miles south and 2 miles west of there.  That is my major shopping area, however.

The NWS already has a rating on it? Proximity to the storms center, I guess. Nasty looking damage. How far away is your next closest shopping area?

Just now, ProfessorTomoe said:

The NWS already has a rating on it? Proximity to the storms center, I guess. Nasty looking damage. How far away is your next closest shopping area?

About the same, but not a good selection of stores.  As it happens, I just finished shopping for the next couple of weeks Saturday afternoon.

2 minutes ago, mlooney said:

About the same, but not a good selection of stores.  As it happens, I just finished shopping for the next couple of weeks Saturday afternoon.

Can you Amazon wish list some of your basics? I know of a group of people who would be willing to help out, and they frequent a certain forum around here ...

11 hours ago, mlooney said:

As it happens, I just finished shopping for the next couple of weeks Saturday afternoon.

Glad you weren't shopping when it hit (aka that it didn't choose to hit while you were shopping)!

5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Glad you weren't shopping when it hit (aka that it didn't choose to hit while you were shopping)!

Well, it was 1:00 in the morning when it hit, which is why so few people got injured.   Only good thing about it, it touched down in a business district,  not the residential areas 1/4 mile away.  That is 1/4 mile in any direction, it was like it targeted the business area.

I went shopping today, in the tornado zone.  Right now it seems, other than one office tower, either your building was totaled or you have light damage.  Not much else.  They still aren't sure about the 15ish story office building that got hit.  They are trying to decide if it's a write-off or not.  The places that I shop at are all back open.

10 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I went shopping today, in the tornado zone.  Right now it seems, other than one office tower, either your building was totaled or you have light damage.  Not much else.  They still aren't sure about the 15ish story office building that got hit.  They are trying to decide if it's a write-off or not.  The places that I shop at are all back open.

Semi-good news, then, eh?

This series of rain fronts can just go the frack away any day now, but the ten-day forecast doesn't make that look very likely.   This is not my happy face.

Two hours ago, weather.com gave me a 100% chance of a thunderstorm at 10:00 PM.  That has been downgraded to a 65% chance at 10:00 and a 70% chance at 11:00.

We also have flash flood warnings until 7:00 Thursday morning.  

Happy happy, joy joy.  :angry:

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

Two hours ago, weather.com gave me a 100% chance of a thunderstorm at 10:00 PM.  That has been downgraded to a 65% chance at 10:00 and a 70% chance at 11:00.

At 10:32 there was a crack of thunder and a minute later we get rain.  Current forecast is for the storms to be over around 01:15.

And this is why I can't sleep right now.

11 minutes ago, mlooney said:

At 10:32 there was a crack of thunder and a minute later we get rain.  Current forecast is for the storms to be over around 01:15.

And this is why I can't sleep right now.

I don't know why but I actually kind of enjoy thunderstorms as long as I am indoors. Of course, that isn't when I am actually trying to sleep. :/

4 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I don't know why but I actually kind of enjoy thunderstorms as long as I am indoors. Of course, that isn't when I am actually trying to sleep. :/

Same here.  Falling rain, rumbling thunder, nice siunds as long as you don't have to go out where the lightning is.  Even getting wet is kinda fun if you don't have any vulnerable electronics or papers on you and it's not too cold.

8 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

8 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Same here.  Falling rain, rumbling thunder, nice siunds as long as you don't have to go out where the lightning is.  Even getting wet is kinda fun if you don't have any vulnerable electronics or papers on you and it's not too cold.

@mlooney and I will transport you both to the Tornado Alley area where you can experience the *real* joy of a supercell thunderstorm.