• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

4 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

@mlooney and I will transport you both to the Tornado Alley area where you can experience the *real* joy of a supercell thunderstorm.

And as part of the experience, we will make sure that you get at least 2 close lightning strikes AND several power flickers.

Eh, I may not have experienced a tornado but we did get a nasty hurricane in Copenhagen some years back. It did fun stuff like pick up 18-wheeler trucks and send them flying to land on the side on the other side of the road... of a six-lane highway. That satisfied my need for heavy weather for a while.

23 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

thunderstorm =/= tornado

True, but a thunderstorm did spawn an EF4 just a couple of miles east of us (and just a couple of blocks west of our friends) the day after Christmas in 2015. We're in the zone where we live.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

thunderstorm =/= tornado

Yeah, that's what we thought 2 weeks ago as well.  Thunderstorms are frequent generators of tornados.

45 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Mrs. Prof checked the rain gauge a little while ago. We've received SEVEN INCHES recently—enough to bring our dying basil herbs back to life!

My chive pot is looking really good for this time of year, for the same reason, lots of rain.

We have two spikes in the back ground noise of the thunderstorms possibility, each of 35%.  That gives us a 57% chance of rain before dawn. 1.00 - (0.652) = 0.5775  Happy happy.

Of course, weather doesn't really follow the laws of probability, 

It doesn't know if it wants to rain or be sunny today. It's mostly cloudy with several really dark clouds going over occasionally, but also some breaks in the cloud. My right foot has been aching most of the day so there's definitely low pressure moving through here.

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

It's 96, feels like 107 here in Tulsa, vs Pittsburg, KS, where I will be moving where it is 88, feels like 100

Bleh.

Yeah, and you've got to put up with all of those obnoxious Steeler fans in your new place ... :P

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

But is the place still the pits? :icon_eek:

Don't know.  Haven't been there yet.

Yeah, I'm moving into a new place sight unseen.  People I love and trust like it, so I'm trusting their saying it's OK.  What I do know is that the new place has twice the space as my current apartment but is 60% as expensive.  $375 a month rent vs ~$550 rent.

53 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Don't know.  Haven't been there yet.

Yeah, I'm moving into a new place sight unseen.  People I love and trust like it, so I'm trusting their saying it's OK.  What I do know is that the new place has twice the space as my current apartment but is 60% as expensive.  $375 a month rent vs ~$550 rent.

Sounds good to me. Good luck!

There's a Las Vegas, New Mexico.  And Illinois is home to Paris, Cairo, and Metropolis.  (There's a big Superman statue there, and I am the proud owner of a "kryptonite ring" purchased there as a stop on a trip to Tennessee.)

On 8/21/2017 at 3:41 PM, CritterKeeper said:

There's a Las Vegas, New Mexico.  And Illinois is home to Paris, Cairo, and Metropolis.  (There's a big Superman statue there, and I am the proud owner of a "kryptonite ring" purchased there as a stop on a trip to Tennessee.)

One would think that I lived in England rather than Ontario, Canada, with Windsor, London, Stratford, the latter two cities being situated on the Thames and Avon rivers respectably. Also there's Oxford, Essex, Kent, Middlesex counties among others. But then we do have a few oddities such as Paris and Wyoming thrown in.

Five day forecast: "Harvey". Seriously, the storm put it in park along the coast, so we're getting rain and clouds for the foreseeable future, and maybe strong winds depending on whether or not the eye gets closer or a tornado picks up. We'll see.