• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

2 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

What corner are you in? My sister's in the southeast corner, in League City.

Northwest.

8 hours ago, Zorua said:

Heyyy! First time seeing blue sky all week! Almost forgot what it looked like. 

How are you?  Are you and yours okay?  Are you in a flooded area, or high and relatively dry?

And had you noticed the irony in your tag under your profile picture?

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

How are you?  Are you and yours okay?  Are you in a flooded area, or high and relatively dry?

And had you noticed the irony in your tag under your profile picture?

Everything's fine. The house survived a lot better than it did in last year's storm (only because the flooding got bad enough to leak into the one room that was lower than the rest; it didn't flood nearly that badly this time, and we sandbagged spot anyway). We once again confirmed the leaky spots in the attic, but that's a problem for the slumlo- er, landlord, and the realtors.

Heh. I should probably update that tag, shouldn't I? It's just plain inaccurate. Rations taste horrible; why didn't I ask for emergency donuts? :P

Looking at images from the Carribean, it's already scarey.  Hope Florida doesn't get clobbered as hard as it's looking like it will.

Meanwhile, we're still having unseasonably cool weather, with highs we usually see in mid-October.  I don't usually need my jacket this early in the year!

7 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Meanwhile, we're still having unseasonably cool weather, with highs we usually see in mid-October.  I don't usually need my jacket this early in the year!

It's almost downright comfortable here in Dallas, if you can call mid-80s comfortable.

Strange. I was born in Austin, Texas, but I've got a cold-weather gene in me. I can't stand spring/summer/fall heat. Give me winter and I'm comfortable.

Webcams show the wind picking up quite a bit and waves getting a bit stronger in Key West and Miami.  I took a few screen shots of various locations, hopefully I can get a few "during" and "after" shots to go with my "before" ones.  More likely, of course, I'll find them all offline from lack of power and/or internet connection, or else blown away in the storm, but who knows?

Pittsburg, KS (66762)

69°
Heavy Thunderstorm
Feels Like 69°
H -- L 68°
UV Index 0 of 10

Variable clouds with thunderstorms. A few may be severe. Low 68F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Which explains the migraine this morning because it's 60%ing pretty hard right now.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Pittsburg, KS (66762)

69°
Heavy Thunderstorm
Feels Like 69°
H -- L 68°
UV Index 0 of 10

Variable clouds with thunderstorms. A few may be severe. Low 68F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Which explains the migraine this morning because it's 60%ing pretty hard right now.

Have you looked up a Tornado Alley map to see if your new location is in a higher risk area?

13 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Have you looked up a Tornado Alley map to see if your new location is in a higher risk area?

Same as Tulsa, maybe a little lower.  A bit more into the Ozark Plateau.  It's not the flat part of the state.

I live in Southwestern Ontario, Canada. Sure, this region dips low enough to be on the same latitude as the northern US states, but still this time of year normally sees temperatures in the mid-high teens (Celsius), low 20's at most.

Right now, at 9:15pm EST it is 25C, it was over 30C this afternoon with the humidity making it feel like 40c. Tomorrow it's going to be a high of 33C feeling like 41C. Monday's expected to be 31 feeling like 38, Tuesday 30 feeling like 36, then the cold front rolls in Wednesday for 24 feeling 29, Thursday will lose the humidity so 19C will feel like 19C, Friday will be 17C and next Saturday is expected to be a high of 15C with a WIND CHILL making it feel like 14.

Denmark has had one of the most crazy stable summers I have ever experienced. In spring we had weeks on end with daytime temperatures around 15C/60F. Then the temperature catapulted to a whopping 20C/68F for weeks. In July the temperature rose like a rocket to around 25C/75F and stayed there all month. Ever since it has gradually declined and now we are back to approximately 15C/60F. For the sheer excitement of it, we got lots of rain in August and September, most of it in the form of day long drizzles.

Today's forecast predicts a high of 18C/65F or a leap of about 3C/5F. I may suffer a heart attack from the violence of this sudden temperature oscillation.

Believe it or not, with all of the flooding in Texas due to Hurricane Harvey, it has not affected North Texas weather one whit. We've had a normal-to-slightly-warmer-than-normal summer. We're also in a mild drought up here, despite the hurricane down south.

53 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Believe it or not, with all of the flooding in Texas due to Hurricane Harvey, it has not affected North Texas weather one whit. We've had a normal-to-slightly-warmer-than-normal summer. We're also in a mild drought up here, despite the hurricane down south.

Well DUH. There is like 400 miles from the southernmost tip of Texas to the northernmost and it has a bigger surface area than France. Even in Denmark you can have radically different weather in north and south and Denmark is a stamp-sized country you could readily fit a dozen of inside Texas alone. :P

3 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Well DUH. There is like 400 miles from the southernmost tip of Texas to the northernmost ...

It's bigger than that ...

According to the Texas Almanac, the Lone Star State extends 801 straight-line miles from north to south and 773 miles from east to west.

Check out this article from the Houston Chronicle for some eye-popping statistics about distances in Texas.

Our string of highs in the 90s (sometimes mid to upper 90s!) has abruptly turned inti a much more seasonable string of highs in the low 70s.

I just took my bicycle in to the repair shop Monday for a tune-up and general check, which has already turned into replacing the tires and tubes.  It's a very old bike, the one I rode around campus as a student, probably even high school student, so I am not at all surprised the tires were starting to crack.  Still seems basically sound and sturdy.  It has a very large basket on the front which I love; they don't even sell nice big baskets like that any more as far as I can tell!  If it takes the week they initially told me (well, initially they told me on the phine there was no wait at all, but....), then I'd miss out, but they said after looking at it I would probably get it back Friday, in time to enjoy some very nice biking weather this weekend.

Updated weather: Had some rain earlier, not much, just enough to get things wet. Cooled off a bit as well but still feels hot when the sun peeks through the clouds.

Currently 21C with humidex feeling like 26C, going to drop the 13C overnight and then Thursday will be a high of 18 now. Friday 16 feeling like 15 with wind and good chance of rain. Saturday will also be 15. The first 4 days of October are expected to be sunny and temps of 20, 22,24 and 24 with humidity making it feel more like Summer again.