• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

3 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Cruel irony: rain is in our forecast for tomorrow. Also on schedule for tomorrow is a crew that is supposed to install new gutters on our house. Who will win?

I'd guess Mother Nature.

13 hours ago, partner555 said:

I'd guess Mother Nature.

I think it's a tie. We had rain this morning. The gutter guys are here now, doing their installation. We're supposed to have more rain after they leave.

We got lucky. Yesterday's rains turned out to be serious storms. Hail the size of grapefruit was reported north and northeast of Garland. One town's police department had its patrol cruiser fleet devastated by large hail. That town has closed their schools for today due to widespread major damage.

Glass companies are in for a busy few months.

Garland, TX

7:50 p.m. CDT 2016-04-12

Partly Cloudy and 64°F
Humidity     68%
Wind Speed     N 5 mph
Barometer     30.10 in
Dewpoint     54°F
Visibility     10.00 mi

Tonight:
A chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 54°F. East northeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Wednesday:
A chance of showers and thunderstorms before 1pm, then a slight chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 69°F. Light northeast wind becoming east northeast 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Wednesday Night:
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 55°F. East wind around 5 mph.

Garland, TX

6:08 p.m. CDT 2016-04-15

Partly Cloudy and 73°F
Humidity     53%
Wind Speed     SE 12 mph
Barometer     29.86 in
Dewpoint     55°F
Visibility     10.00 mi

Tonight:
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 62°F. Southeast wind around 10 mph.
Saturday:
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 76°F. Southeast wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
Saturday Night:
A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 64°F. East southeast wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Garland, TX

8:58 a.m. CDT 2016-04-17

Overcast and 66°F
Humidity     94%
Wind Speed     SE 12 G 18 mph
Barometer     29.98 in
Dewpoint     64°F
Visibility     7.00 mi

Today:
Showers and thunderstorms. Some storms could be severe, with heavy rain. High near 71°F. East southeast wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
Tonight:
Showers and thunderstorms. Some storms could be severe, with heavy rain. Low around 67°F. Southeast wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
Monday:
Showers and thunderstorms likely. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Cloudy, with a high near 74°F. South southeast wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

HIGH PRESSURE OVER THE EASTERN UNITED STATES WILL MAINTAIN A TIGHT
PRESSURE GRADIENT ACROSS THE REGION TODAY AND TONIGHT. THIS WILL
CONTINUE TO SUPPORT RATHER BREEZY CONDITIONS OVER THE COASTAL
WATERS THIS MORNING AND AGAIN TONIGHT WITH SOME ROUGH AND
HAZARDOUS BOATING CONDITIONS FOR SMALL CRAFT OPERATORS.

Current conditions at

Sarasota / Bradenton, Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport (KSRQ)

Lat: 27.51°N Lon: -82.58°W Elev: 30ft.

Fair 73°F 23°C

sct.png

Humidity 57%
Wind Speed E 16 G 23 mph
Barometer 30.16 in (1021.1 mb)
Dewpoint 57°F (14°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Last update 17 Apr 9:53 am EDT

Gorgeous day Sunday, too bad I was indoors for most of it.  Monday is supposed to be lovely, too, with a forecast high of 78°F. I have a lot of built-up stuff to do at home, but hopefully I'll get outside at least a while, and I'll open windows as much as I can while working in the house.

Garland, TX

3:51 a.m. CDT 2016-04-18

Overcast and 64°F
Humidity     99%
Wind Speed     NW 7 mph
Barometer     30.12 in
Dewpoint     63°F
Visibility     3.00 mi

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN FORT WORTH HAS ISSUED A * URBAN AND SMALL STREAM FLOOD ADVISORY FOR... ELLIS COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL TEXAS... DALLAS COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL TEXAS... * UNTIL 445 AM CDT

* AT 145 AM CDT...DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED THUNDERSTORMS THAT WERE PRODUCING HEAVY RAINFALL ALONG THE INTERSTATE 35 CORRIDOR FROM DALLAS SOUTHWARD TO HILLSBORO. THIS BAND OF STORMS WILL LINGER OVER DALLAS AND ELLIS COUNTIES THROUGH AT LEAST 3 AM. EXCESSIVE RUNOFF FROM THESE THUNDERSTORMS WILL CAUSE URBAN AND SMALL STREAM FLOODING. AREAS THAT ARE LOW LYING OR USUALLY EXPERIENCE POOR DRAINAGE ARE MOST LIKELY TO EXPERIENCE FLOODING. THIS MEANS SOME LOW WATER CROSSINGS IN THE REGION MAY BECOME IMPASSABLE.

Overnight:
Showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Low around 67°F. East southeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
Monday:
Showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 1pm. High near 72°F. Calm wind becoming northeast around 5 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Monday Night:
Showers and thunderstorms likely. Cloudy, with a low around 64°F. East wind around 5 mph becoming south after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

[ELEVEN HOURS AGO]
Biiig storm. Floods and tornado warnings.
High flooding. The water is like a half-inch from the door. I can't tell the difference between the yard and the road.
The rain's died down, but we're keeping the weather app on standby.
There's part of our house that's a few inches lower. I'd think it used to be a garage if there was a garage door, but there isn't. We use it as a workshop/tool box/storage room. It has two exterior doors: the one that's level with the rest of the house, which we use all the time, and the one in the back corner, which we never use and is blocked off by more crap.
Guess which door sprung a leak and flooded the room.
We're definitely calling the landlord in the morning.

[And back to the present]
So apparently the storm cell will continue until tomorrow.
I have a feeling contractora are gonna make a looooot of money this week.

2 hours ago, Zorua said:

So apparently the storm cell will continue until tomorrow.
I have a feeling contractora are gonna make a looooot of money this week.

Sorry to hear about the flooding. It's not an easy thing to fix—I know from having a toilet overflow and flood enough of the floor that they had to replace the laminate through the whole house. Get ready for some VERY noisy fans. I hope your circuit breaker box can handle their load.

Well we managed to be in a part of town that isn't underwater. Yay. Still, Houston is officially a disaster area. So that's fun.

6 hours ago, Zorua said:

Well we managed to be in a part of town that isn't underwater. Yay. Still, Houston is officially a disaster area. So that's fun.

What tOH said. ^^^

BTW, could be worse—could be Pasadena (former resident myself).

On April 18, 2016 at 1:45 PM, Zorua said:

[ELEVEN HOURS AGO]
Biiig storm. Floods and tornado warnings.
High flooding. The water is like a half-inch from the door. I can't tell the difference between the yard and the road.
The rain's died down, but we're keeping the weather app on standby.
There's part of our house that's a few inches lower. I'd think it used to be a garage if there was a garage door, but there isn't. We use it as a workshop/tool box/storage room. It has two exterior doors: the one that's level with the rest of the house, which we use all the time, and the one in the back corner, which we never use and is blocked off by more crap.
Guess which door sprung a leak and flooded the room.

At least it was only one room, and not one that you live in.  But, I know stuff in "storage" can include precious memories -- my parents' basement flooded last year, and we spent quite a bit of time sorting through damaged photos and books and papers, seeing what could be saved and what couldn't.  It was fun sometimes, seeing things that had been put away and forgotten, but it was heartbreaking too.

A little tip, the damage to books comes from their drying unevenly.  I got this from some book experts, talking about how libraries deal with things like a fire setting off the sprinklers.  It's actually better to soak a damp book completely and then spread it out to dry, rather than let the soaked bits and damp bits and only sligtly damp bits all dry at once and end up dry at different times.

Garland, TX

11:37 p.m. CDT 2016-04-19

Overcast and 68°F
Humidity     88%
Wind Speed     E 5 mph
Barometer     29.99 in
Dewpoint     64°F
Visibility     10.00 mi

Tonight:
Showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 1am. Low around 63°F. Calm wind becoming southeast around 5 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
Wednesday:
A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 77°F. Light and variable wind becoming north northwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Wednesday Night:
A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 62°F. Southeast wind around 5 mph.

This is supposed to be about weather so I won't tell you about the room. Still, yesterday I was on my way back from Walgreens (convenience stores within walking distance ftw!) and it was drizzling a little. The cloud responsible was already gone when I noticed, but still. Then I saw a dark-ish cloud covering the northwestern part of the sky and got nervous, staring at it for a while trying to gauge what direction it's going. We only had ankle-deep flooding, tops. I didn't want worse.

6 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

At least it was only one room, and not one that you live in.  But, I know stuff in "storage" can include precious memories -- my parents' basement flooded last year, and we spent quite a bit of time sorting through damaged photos and books and papers, seeing what could be saved and what couldn't.  It was fun sometimes, seeing things that had been put away and forgotten, but it was heartbreaking too.

A little tip, the damage to books comes from their drying unevenly.  I got this from some book experts, talking about how libraries deal with things like a fire setting off the sprinklers.  It's actually better to soak a damp book completely and then spread it out to dry, rather than let the soaked bits and damp bits and only sligtly damp bits all dry at once and end up dry at different times.

Well, I say "storage" mostly because the half not filled with tools looks like it's filled to the brim with junk and boxes. And the half that is filled with tools is such a mess too.

Good advice on the books, though.

Heavy rain just started up. Heard a thunderclap. Not what we wanted right now. [EDIT]: Or...not... Looks like it was a quick burst that died down into some more normal rain. Still concerned, though.

Edited by Zorua

Garland, TX

4:46 a.m. CDT 2016-04-21

Overcast with Scattered Rain/Thunder and 62°F
Humidity     93%
Wind Speed     NW 9 mph
Barometer     29.99 in
Dewpoint     60°F
Visibility     10.00 mi

Thursday:
Showers and thunderstorms likely before 1pm. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 77°F. North northwest wind around 5 mph becoming southwest in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Thursday Night:
Mostly clear, with a low around 56°F. North northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Friday:
Sunny, with a high near 82°. North wind 5 to 10 mph.

Garland, TX
1:43 p.m. CDT 2016-04-23

Fair and 77°F
Humidity     44%
Wind Speed     SE 10 mph
Barometer     30.09 in
Dewpoint     54°F
Visibility     10.00 mi
Heat Index    78°F

THE TEXAS COMMISSION ON ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY (TCEQ) HAS ISSUED AN OZONE ACTION DAY FOR THE DALLAS-FORT WORTH AREA FOR SATURDAY, APRIL 23, 2016.

ATMOSPHERIC CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO BE FAVORABLE FOR PRODUCING HIGH LEVELS OF OZONE AIR POLLUTION IN THE DALLAS-FORT WORTH AREA ON SATURDAY. YOU CAN HELP PREVENT OZONE POLLUTION BY SHARING A RIDE, WALKING, RIDING A BICYCLE, TAKING YOUR LUNCH TO WORK, AVOIDING DRIVE-THROUGH LANES, CONSERVING ENERGY, AND KEEPING YOUR VEHICLE PROPERLY TUNED.

* pulls out an A=440 tuning fork *

This Afternoon:
Sunny, with a high near 82°F. South southeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight:
Mostly clear, with a low around 60°F. South southeast wind around 5 mph.
Sunday:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 80°F. South wind 10 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Garland, TX
10:28 p.m. CDT 2016-04-26

Partly Cloudy, Breezy, and 76°F
Humidity     77%
Wind Speed     SE 21 G 24 mph
Barometer     29.58 in
Dewpoint     69°F
Visibility     10.00 mi
Heat Index    77°F

A tornado watch is in effect until midnight.

Tonight:
Showers and thunderstorms likely. Some of the storms could be severe. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 64°F. South wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Wednesday:
Partly sunny, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 84°F. West southwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Wednesday Night:
Mostly clear, with a low around 60°F. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm.

I was just talking to someone who's in Adrmore Texas and just had some nasty weather roll through about an hour ago. Another person in Oklahoma has been hearing tornado warning sirens for over an hour as well. That storm system stretching from Texas all the way up to Iowa.

Just heard from the guy in Oklahoma, apparently a small tornado touched down in the Broken Arrow area, didn't sound like it did too much damage though, still JML is in that area right?