• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

Just a heads up: it is currently cold enough to have snow in Houston.

I know! This almost never happens!

It'll be gone tomorrow, so I'm going outside while it's still here.

It's snowing here, too, but I've heard they expect a lot more snow in Atlanta than in Chicago tonight.

I hope your snow does melt quickly, as I know it messes up travel in places not used to it, but just think how magical it is for kids in the South who may never have seen snow deep enough to play in.  :-D

I got semi-lucky back in December of 2009. If I hadn't have wound up in the hospital getting blood transfusions, I would have had to have driven to work through the worst snow in decades. I believe my Honda Ridgeline could have handled it, just like it handled the "cobblestone ice" we got on our freeways a few years later., but it would have been a white knuckler due to all the cars and drivers around me who couldn't have handled it. ;)

Yup.  Driving on slick roads never scares me nearly as much as other people driving on slick roads.  Every one of the factors I'm dealing with, they're dealing with too, so the number of uncontrollable things that could go wrong is multiplied by the number of other vehicles on the road, with extra multiples for large vehicles or teenage drivers.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

Yup.  Driving on slick roads never scares me nearly as much as other people driving on slick roads.  Every one of the factors I'm dealing with, they're dealing with too, so the number of uncontrollable things that could go wrong is multiplied by the number of other vehicles on the road, with extra multiples for large vehicles or teenage drivers.

Well, you could buy a subscription for your imaginary child... imaginary children need even more help with typing than real children do.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

12 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Well, you could buy a subscription for your imaginary child... imaginary children need even more help with typing than real children do.

Took me a moment to realize, I think your reply is on the wrong thread....

The fog is reflecting the sunrise in just the right way to make the sky look orange. It almost looks like a dust cloud. It's weird.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

It snowed last night.  I did not order snow.

On the other hand, we are still experiencing temperatures above freezing in Copenhagen and will likely continue to do so for at least a week. We did have some snow but it melted mere hours after falling.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

On the other hand, we are still experiencing temperatures above freezing in Copenhagen and will likely continue to do so for at least a week. We did have some snow but it melted mere hours after falling.

It is still above freezing even though the Sun doesn't bother to put in a full eight hour shift each day at this time of year?

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

It is still above freezing even though the Sun doesn't bother to put in a full eight hour shift each day at this time of year?

What do you mean, full shift? It is only visible for seven hours and barely peeks above the horison. It would not count as a full shift even if it stayed there for eight hours because even when it is there we hardly get any real light at all. Half the time or more it is overcast anyway.

But to be fair to Ra, I don't blame him. It is a long way north for that barge of his. And not only does he have all those monsters of the night to deal with but Danish traffic cops are being particularly unreasonable these days. I bet they would get him for DWD (Driving While Divine) if they got the chance to. (Darn hypocrites never stop Thor. Something about thunderstorms being a good time to sit indoors and eat donuts. What is the world coming to.)

On 12/23/2017 at 9:02 AM, mlooney said:

It snowed last night.  I did not order snow.

It was probably all the little kiddies hoping for a White Christmas.  We're right in the border between 2 to 4 inches and 3 to 5 inches.  Hopefully enough for a few snowmen and snowballs.  Given that I drove down yesterday, I'm glad it waited, and I'm driving back Tuesday night (and my sister is flying out Tuesday morning), so they should have plenty of time to plow and salt by then.  Even the poor folks who have to be back at work Tuesday morning will have a day's worth of plowing and salting done.

And I suspect the folks who have chosen to drive snow plows to earn a living will be getting paid extra for working on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, so they'll probably be happy, too.  Maybe have their Christmas a day late, with the kids getting a little something extra for their patience out of the extra cash earned....

Currently -2°F (-19°C), with forecast low of -7°F (-22°C) tonight.  Tomorrow's high is predicted to be 6°F (-14°C).

I do not like cold toes.  As Mrs. Slocombe used to say, "I am unanimous in this!"

There's a good reason I'm in southern Arizona for the winter...

(Based on the changes in traffic on Main Street since we arrived in early October, I'd say the population of this town and its surrounding area has gone up in excess of 10x. And on reports of past years, will again go up more than 10X in the next week or two. We aren't the only ones who like coming here for the winter.)

6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The name "Bomb Cyclone" has been around for decades.
Why is it getting so much notice with this particular winter storm system?

"Bomb" seems, sadly, topical.

My digital thermometer is reading "0oF" (more or less), which is how I feel about heading over to the gym right now.

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

This is what it looks like outside my window:

Very pretty!

If I ran the weather, each winter we'd get one snowfall of a foot or more, give the kids a snow day Friday and a Saturday to play, and then warm up just enough Sunday to melt it all away in time for commuters on Monday to travel safely.  We'd do the same thing for Christmas, have clear traveling weather on Christmas Eve until later in the evening, then get a nice pretty snow for the kids to wake up to, deep enough for snowmen and snow angels, then everything would melt overnight on the evening of Boxing Day.  Other snowfalls can happen but they must be light, and melt away once they start looking grey.  Once every eight to ten years an extra-deep snowfall, two or three feet, so everyone has a childhood memory of "that" winter, and it can take a few days to melt so there isn't any flooding.

Sound good?  ;-)

9 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

If I ran the weather...

A distant moon ago, King Arthur said:

It's true! It's true! The crown has made it clear.
The climate must be perfect all the year.

A law was made a distant moon ago here:
July and August cannot be too hot.
And there's a legal limit to the snow here
In Camelot.
The winter is forbidden till December
And exits March the second on the dot.
By order, summer lingers through September
In Camelot.

Is this something like what you had in mind?

Hope no one has to drive those cars any time soon.  Not only are they covered pretty thickly, the alley/road doesn't seem to be plowed either.

Given your location of "Canuckistan" this does not seem like it would be an unknown event, though.  (Yes, I know not all of Canada is snowy all the time, but you're north of Minnesota, so having snow in the winter seems a reasonable expectation.)