• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

41 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Hope no one has to drive those cars any time soon.  Not only are they covered pretty thickly, the alley/road doesn't seem to be plowed either.

Given your location of "Canuckistan" this does not seem like it would be an unknown event, though.  (Yes, I know not all of Canada is snowy all the time, but you're north of Minnesota, so having snow in the winter seems a reasonable expectation.)

I'm in Southwestern Ontario so I get a lot of lake effect snow off Lake Huron. At about 10am today, dad and I went out and a couple neighbours tackled the cleanup, got the cars cleaned off and pretty much took turns using the snow blower to get it all blown out of the way, it took a couple hours. At this moment there someone picking away at clearing the snowbanks that have built up along main street, though not sure how much they'll do, usually there's a front end loader pushing the snow out into the street while a tractor with a large snowblower on the back blows it into the back of a dump truck, but at the moment there's just a front end loader pushing snow around.

On 12/23/2017 at 9:02 AM, mlooney said:

It snowed last night.  I did not order snow.

It did it again, two nights in a row.  I know I'm not in the "south" any more, but random snow isn't on my play list, if I have an option about it.

Just looked out the window. It's 1:30 in the afternoon and there's still snow on the ground. Two snowfalls in one winter? One of which actually got schools canceled? In Houston? Inconceivable!

17 hours ago, mlooney said:

It did it again, two nights in a row.  I know I'm not in the "south" any more, but random snow isn't on my play list, if I have an option about it.

It's on mine, though.

None here in Garland so far. We are supposed to get down to 12°F tonight (-11°C), and we haven't gone above freezing since yesterday. Gotta hand it to my heat pump and our overall insulation, though—I've actually heard the heat pump turn off occasionally (it just did), and we've got the thermostat set to a tad under 75°F (23.8°C).

We've had snow off and on for the past day and a half.  It's fluffy enough that you can brush it off of your car, it doesn't turn into ice.  I was off yesterday but had to run some errands, finishing up at the gym, and each stop there was half an inch or so accumulated when I got back to my car, but it brushed off easily and I was on my merry way.  It's been in the low twenties, much more comfortable than the single to negative digits we've been in.  Not a bad sort of weather.

The snow does seem to be a little too fluffy for proper snowball or snowman packing; it can be done but it takes more packing than would be ideal.  Haven't seen a lot of snowmen out.  At least the kiddies were out of school Monday anyway, for MLK, so they could enjoy playing in it; by today everything is plowed and salted pretty well and the kiddies were back lined up for the busses in the morning.

The snow has all been melting away, and last night all that moisture led to some very thick fog.  It was very pretty, but definitely made me glad my drive home was short!  Highs in the 40s; today is supposed to hit the mid-50s but also rain a lot.  On the plus side, working in an animal hospital, the side yard could definitely use a good rain to clean away the various residues; on the minus side, when the cold inevitably returns it will doubtless lead to lots of ice, possibly with snow on top of it to hide the slick areas.

There is a rain front coming.  That is not a good thing for my migraines, but I really haven't had a bad one in a while, so maybe I'll get lucky Friday night.

Not that kind of lucky...

It's snowing today,  up to 6 inches expected by 18:00 and "wintery mix" expected Tuesday.  Less than thrilled about this.  I know this is a trivial amount of snow for some people, but it's more than I want to deal with this week.

32 minutes ago, mlooney said:

It's snowing today,  up to 6 inches expected by 18:00 and "wintery mix" expected Tuesday.  Less than thrilled about this.  I know this is a trivial amount of snow for some people, but it's more than I want to deal with this week.

You are entirely within your rights to dislike snow. I can deal with that much snow and more than that, I've been privileged to deal with several feet of snow left behind by a blizzard, but that doesn't mean that I like snow nor that I ever will.

Snow, followed by snow, then some frozen, fluffy precipitation. After that, snow. Just got back inside after the fifth iteration of shoveling since yesterday. At least the schools are off today, so the stuff hasn't been packed down by dozens of little feet.

Last year, the weather gnomes kept predicting snow that would, at the last moment, veer off and hit Indianapolis, rather than Chicago. This year, their aim has been better.

Bastards.

Not as bad here as it could have been....we got snow overnight, but it wastapering off by morning, and really did stop an hour or two ago.  By the time I get to go home, hopefully they'll be done plowing and salting even the Courts and driveways.  (Townhouse, so someone else is supposed to do that stuff; sometimes they're wonderfully prompt, sometimes it takes a lot longer than it feels like it should....)

Yeah, radar map looks like it all sank south of us, so the city proper and southern 'burbs may get another 3 to 6 inches.

11 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Yeah, radar map looks like it all sank south of us, so the city proper and southern 'burbs may get another 3 to 6 inches.

That would be us. Still snowing here; if anything, it's picked up a bit.

54 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

You guys are super soldiers, aren't you? A few flurries ought not be a problem for the heroic Dorsai. :danshiftyeyes:

In our defense, we were doing fine until Gunny got a paper cut while filling out the requisition for the antimatter snowblower.

2 minutes ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

In our defense, we were doing fine until Gunny got a paper cut while filling out the requisition for the antimatter snowblower.

I know the feeling. Logistics just told me I couldn't have five fusion powered tanks for mowing my lawn.

In fact, the buggers wanted to know why I would need even one fusion powered tank for mowing my lawn.

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

You guys are super soldiers, aren't you? A few flurries ought not be a problem for the heroic Dorsai. :danshiftyeyes:

2 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

Another reminder that I should check out these Dorsai books someday....

Very warm yesterday, but rainy; now going back to cold again.  At least most of the snow and ice melted away first.

The weather's been horrible for the roads, apparently.  Tire-breaking potholes on interstates, water pooling deep enough to kill cars that try to drive through, that sort of thing.  Glad I didn't have to drive anywhere far.