• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

True, but location, location, location. Here, and certainly in Garland, Tx, 3 inches is debilitating. Nobody is prepared. Snow tires? What's that?

Granted, but a Honda Ridgeline does give one an edge over the competition. I've navigated cobblestone ice on a freaking freeway in that beast with plain old all-weather tires. People speak ill of the Ridgeline at their own doom. It trundles where others slip and fail.

43 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Granted, but a Honda Ridgeline does give one an edge over the competition. I've navigated cobblestone ice on a freaking freeway in that beast with plain old all-weather tires. People speak ill of the Ridgeline at their own doom. It trundles where others slip and fail.

Nice, but what do you do about the moving hazards, a.k.a. other drivers?

Remember, every car on the road has four-wheel brakes.

My sister's first husband, seriously into back-woods off-road driving, told me that four-wheel drive simply allows you to get stuck deeper in the woods.

2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

My sister's first husband, seriously into back-woods off-road driving, told me that four-wheel drive simply allows you to get stuck deeper in the woods.

We don't go into the woods.

2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

I've seen this. Sandia Mountain, near the ski area, the 4x4 trying to go around the line of cars getting stuck in the snow.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Why not?

It was a fun play

We're too urban/suburban. Although, Mrs. Prof. has taken the Ridgeline up on an actual ridge line in the Colorado Rockies in the past. It handled everything well, except for a deer which jumped out and attacked it. Minor damage was inflicted on both.

15 minutes ago, mlooney said:

It's 34 degrees and raining.  Given a choice I'd rather it be 30 degrees and snowing.

No one in the Midwest or Northeast US appreciates how miserable cold, without freezing, can actually be until they experience it first hand
Of course, once someone spends a full year in a place that doesn't actually freeze their opinion of cold no longer matters to anyone who shovels snow

14 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

No one in the Midwest or Northeast US appreciates how miserable cold, without freezing, can actually be until they experience it first hand
Of course, once someone spends a full year in a place that doesn't actually freeze their opinion of cold no longer matters to anyone who shovels snow

Anybody who says that 40 Farenheit is not cold can go take a dip in water that is that temperature.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

We have a 60% chance of snow tonight.   With rain before it.  Bleh.

Well, it's up to 70% of 1 inch of snow now.  It's half-ass raining now, so I suspect I'm going to wake  up to a "Winter wonderland" or a backyard full of ice, what ever.  At any rate I don't even have to take my trash out tomorrow, so I really don't care what the weather is like, not until Sunday any way.  Sunday it's supposed to be sunny and 51 so there is that.

And those of you that live in the frozen north, I don't care that you would kill for just an inch of snow this time of year.  It's not normal for this part of the world.  Let me be clear here, It's the rain before and after the snow that I'm having issues with.  I wouldn't mind if it just drop some snow and went away, but this not quite freezing rain is starting to chap my buns.

15 hours ago, mlooney said:

Well, it's up to 70% of 1 inch of snow now.

Well, we got something like 0.5 inches so far and have an 80% chance of more coming down this morning.  It's right at freezing right now, which means, that it's going to be a wet sloggy mess come daylight.  Just my favourite sort of weather, cold, wet and miserable1

1Not really my favourite kind a weather...

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

that it's going to be a wet sloggy mess come daylight.

And it's a cold wet sloggy mess.  Tiny bit of snow still coming down.  Bleh

On 1/17/2020 at 10:20 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Oh, we get our fair share here; northern part of southern US, but it rains a #%@&-ton (or metric #%@&-ton, if you prefer), and we get frequent January weather hovering around freezing. To be fair, it does not generally get much worse than that; hitting the teens is unusual, even at night. But, on the down side, we get more ice than snow. It is not unusual for freezing rain to take down a power line or two.

11 hours ago, mlooney said:

It's going to be another couple days of cold wet and nasty, with a chance of snow in the evening.  This is not my happy face.

A wintry mix this evening will transition to mainly snow overnight. Low near 30F. Winds NNE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precip 90%. 1 to 3 inches of snow and ice expected.

the past several days have had temps hovering around 0C with weather reports being "a chance of flurries and risk of freezing drizzle".

6 minutes ago, Scotty said:

the past several days have had temps hovering around 0C with weather reports being "a chance of flurries and risk of freezing drizzle".

That's what it's like here as well.