• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

4 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

We had snow today, very little, and it was melting in the afternoon. We are going to have icy roads by morning.

That's more or less what happened here.  There is still a little snow on the ground, but the streets and sidewalks are slick as snot.

It's snowing right now (we're supposed to get several inches); late this afternoon it's supposed to change over to one or more of sleet / freezing rain / rain.

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

It's snowing right now (we're supposed to get several inches); late this afternoon it's supposed to change over to one or more of sleet / freezing rain / rain.

That is my least favorite version of winter weather.  That combines the worst of all the kinds of precipitation.  Good luck and I hope you don't have to drive after it stops or that your city sand/salts quickly.  

Two hours of snowblowing in the snow (the places I started with had almost an inch of new snow by the time I was done), followed by an hour of shoveling (and clearing off my car) in the rain (it's not warm enough for all the snow to melt, and waterlogged snow becomes a problem when it freezes). Not fun.

It's still raining out; hopefully I don't need to clear a layer of ice off my car tomorrow morning.

25 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I went to the grocery store. Traffic was sparse, and many shelves were empty. This shortage does not bode well.

But did you get the important things about a snow fall?  Milk, white bread and toilet paper?

f841fc33785fafb56ce4f84805f1e302.jpg

I tend to keep a month’s supply of non-perishables on hand at all times (canned and dried food, canned and bottled drinks, soap and TP), which includes the ability to bake my own bread with a wood fire if need be. The fresh milk is still a limitation though. Not that it has snowed in my city since before the 20th century, mind you, but we do get earthquakes, major firestorms, and floods at intervals.

13 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I got milk. I got bread, not white. I considered TP, but have plenty. Hopefully, I wasn't wrong to not buy some.

TP is a thing you really don't want to run out of.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

TP is a thing you really don't want to run out of.

It may be because I came straight from the What are you reading thread but I just got reminded of a pretty good post-apocalyptic sci fi book that followed a doomsday prepper family. One part of their preparations included a huge supply of toilet paper in a carefully protected room. Then the balloon went up and it was every man for himself and the Devil take the hindmost. They spent the first part of the book on a boat and survived offshore by fishing and the supplies stored on the boat. But when they finally found their hidden supply dump, there was a small problem. It had sustained damage somehow and as a result the TP room had gotten half flooded. You can imagine what the toilet paper looked like.

The poor prepper family stared at this indescribable mess and were all basically "FML." :danshiftyeyes:

Toilet paper as we know it is a product of the industrial production of cheap wood-pulp based paper. Before that, people used straw or washed themselves with water and (if available) soap, which is probably what we would revert to doing if toilet paper ever became widely unavailable.

IMO, if space or weight is a limiting factor for survival gear, then I would rather stock more food and more soap than more toilet paper.

The snow is gone, but it's forecast to have a ~45% chance of more tonight/early morning.  I'm feeling like crap right now, so either this is a mild front or it hasn't gotten here yet.

Now up to ~75% chance of snow, starting any time now and ending in an hour or 2.  Expected .13 inches, which is just enough to let you know it snowed, but not much else.

It didn't snow, or at least not enough to notice.  They are saying "slight chance of snow for the next 6 hours, but that's under 5%, so unless the weather gods role a critical hit nothing happening.

There is a front rolling in about 7:00 PM.  Only a 16% chance of rain, so I might not get my normal "I feel like crap" when a rain front rolls by.

Our weather said 51 degrees this morning (Fahrenheit, so don't panic), I walked outside to get coffee, and it felt like no more than 40. Currently reporting 37 degrees. I wonder why the morning measurement was so high.

7 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Our weather said 51 degrees this morning (Fahrenheit, so don't panic), I walked outside to get coffee, and it felt like no more than 40. Currently reporting 37 degrees. I wonder why the morning measurement was so high.

Was that the “right this minute” temperature, or the forecast temperature? For forecast, they usually state the maximum expected temperature for the day.

6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Perhaps a front was passing & the reporting station was still on the warm side while you were on the cold?

7 hours ago, ijuin said:

Was that the “right this minute” temperature, or the forecast temperature? For forecast, they usually state the maximum expected temperature for the day.

The temperature report was the Microsoft weather on the toolbar. I assume they pick up temp from the Airport, almost all of the reports use that unless they have an investment in their own equipment. Perhaps they switch from forecast to actual in the AM.

13 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

The temperature report was the Microsoft weather on the toolbar.

I have, including that widget, 4 things that tell me the temperature.   They are seldom in agreement, often have up to 5 degrees of variation.

We had the biggest storm of the season so far yesterday (I believe it was officially a blizzard); it snowed from noon to midnight, dropping well over a foot of snow, and the winds were pretty intense too. Today, my family spent all morning and much of the afternoon clearing the driveway and yard. ...At least it was fluffy snow and it wasn't too cold out today, but I'm still exhausted.

4 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

We had the biggest storm of the season so far yesterday (I believe it was officially a blizzard); it snowed from noon to midnight, dropping well over a foot of snow, and the winds were pretty intense too. Today, my family spent all morning and much of the afternoon clearing the driveway and yard. ...At least it was fluffy snow and it wasn't too cold out today, but I'm still exhausted.

It got up to 55 today.  :-)

Of course we are forecast to have almost 10 inches of snow on Wednesday.  Not really happy about that.