• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

6 hours ago, ijuin said:

30 degree swing is average where I am, and I'm thankful for it, because otherwise there would be NO relief at night from hot daytime weather.

We get worse some times.  During the winter 50-60 degree swings happen when a front rolls in.

19 hours ago, mlooney said:

Between right now and roughly noon tomorrow we have a projected 40 degree swing. Bleh

We got the swing.  And now I have to decide if I want to be cool now, or cold tonight, because my $@#%$!@ HVAC system here doesn't have an auto setting.  If I turn it AC I just know I will forget until midnight or so. 

Growl, bark, snap, etc.

[edit]

Cool it is.  I can deal with cold better than hot.

[Edit 2]
Now setting HVAC system to heat mode.

It's 18C here, went to work with a coat and sweater, took the coat off pretty much as soon as I got there, then took the sweater off about an hour later.

Tomorrow it's going to drop to 2C with the threat of snow, Sunday's expected to have snow as well.

Tulsa/Jones Arpt, OK

as of 5:55 pm CST

48°
Clear
feels like 44°
H -- L 32°
UV Index 0 of 10

And for some reason the HVAC is set to "cool".  I know I set it to heat a while ago.  Must have done one of my "do crap while asleep and don't remember it" things.

43 degrees right now, no wind, nothing else going on.

We might get a frost on Wednesday night so I should harvest my chives and make some chive butter for the winter.

13 hours ago, ijuin said:

Chive butter? Whuzat?

7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Because butter has both oil and water components, many flavours can be folded into the emulsion and produce a golden treasure.  Sweet, spicy, or savoury.  Kids, try this at home.

Chive butter, the Looney way.

• Gather fresh chives from the flower pot out side.  You should end up with about a cup - cup and a half
  • Wash chives, pat dry.
  • Chop into smallish pieces.
  • Take about 1/4 stick of butter and saute the chives on low heat.  Exact amount of butter depends on the amount of chives you have.
  • While that is going on, take the other 3/4 of of a stick of butter and 1 or 2 more, depending on the amount of chives you have and slowly melt them.
  • Once the chives are nicely softened in the saute pan, but before any of them start to scorch dump them into the melted butter in the other pan.
  • Mix together well.
  • Let mixture heat together for 30-60 seconds.
  • Turn off heat.
  • Mix again
  • Pour into butter tub
  • Put tub in fridge.

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Because butter has both oil and water components, many flavours can be folded into the emulsion and produce a golden treasure.  Sweet, spicy, or savoury.  Kids, try this at home.

Yeah, I've never heard of it being done with chives--nor ever thought that the taste of chives and the taste of butter needed combining.

7 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Yeah, I've never heard of it being done with chives--nor ever thought that the taste of chives and the taste of butter needed combining.

There are so many things that chives and butter are used together with.  Baked potatoes, pasta sauces, toast, all for example.

7 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Ah. Chives have never been a part of my diet to my recollection.

I can't really remember when they were not.  Fresh ones, not the freeze dried ones you can get.  Almost every where I've lived, back to like grade school, has either had a patch of them or a couple of flower pots with them growing in.  My current pot is about 20 years old now.

Here in Tulsa Oklahoma, it's 24 Degrees F and cloudy with fog.  Copenhagen is 38 and partly cloudy. Paris freaking France if 45 and sunny

That is Tulsa -4, Copenhagen is at 3 and Paris is a more or less toasty at 7 for those that use the Celsius scale.

And my apartment is drafty. 

And that is why "Invade France" is one of the tags on "The Weather"

Mesquite, Mesquite Metro Airport (KHQZ)

Lat: 32.75°N Lon: 96.53°W Elev: 446ft.

fg.png

Fog/Mist and 36°F (2°C)

Today: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 45. East northeast wind around 5 mph becoming southeast in the afternoon.

Tonight: Patchy drizzle after midnight. Increasing clouds, with a low around 42. Southeast wind 5 to 15 mph.

Humidity 100%
Wind Speed N 7 mph
Barometer 30.45 in
Dewpoint 36°F (2°C)
Visibility 3.00 mi
Wind Chill 30°F (-1°C)

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Here in Tulsa Oklahoma, it's 24 Degrees F and cloudy with fog.  Copenhagen is 38 and partly cloudy. Paris freaking France if 45 and sunny

That is Tulsa -4, Copenhagen is at 3 and Paris is a more or less toasty at 7 for those that use the Celsius scale.

And my apartment is drafty. 

And that is why "Invade France" is one of the tags on "The Weather"

At least you're not up near London Ontario Canada.

Partly cloudy

Partly cloudy

-12°C

Feels like -24

Wind

37km/h W

Wind gust

56km/h

Humidity

68%

Sunrise

7:53 AM

Sunset

4:50 PM

BTW, the National Weather Service forecasts I've been posting show Mesquite, TX instead of Garland, TX due to my proximity to the extreme southern border of Garland. The Mesquite airport is closer to me than is Downtown Garland.

NOAA needs more granularity. ;)

It was -1°F when I got up this morning, and has climbed all the way to 5°F now.  It'll warm up slightly as it snows tomorrow, but is currently expected to get down to -12°F on Sunday.  That's real temperatures, none of this "feels like" stuff.  (That's -18°C this morning, and -24.5°C Sunday.)

Have I mentioned I'm supposed to be driving to my folks', about three hours away, on Saturday afternoon?  And my sister is supposed to be flying in on Friday?  Note which days have snow predicted....

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

At least you're not up near London Ontario Canada.

I'm just a bit south of there.  Actually a more than a bit.  More than a bit south of Copenhagen and Paris too, for that matter.

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

NOAA needs more granularity. ;)

One thing I like, sorta, about here is that the weather station used by NOAA or The Weather Channel is less than a mile from here.  Of course that leads to the being on the student pilots over flight path, so meh.

Of the four cities I more or less keep track of, Tulsa is the most southerly, followed by Chicago, Paris and Copenhagen, in that order.

So, the temperature is 6, 9, 39, 42.  Going from south to north.  Something is not quite right  here.

Tulsa. Jones Airport as of 7:36 am CST

6°
Mostly Cloudy
feels like -7°
H 23° / L 10°
UV Index 0 of 10

15 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Of the four cities I more or less keep track of, Tulsa is the most southerly, followed by Chicago, Paris and Copenhagen, in that order.

So, the temperature is 6, 9, 39, 42.  Going from south to north.  Something is not quite right  here.

I blame the Pharaoh. Probably his priests and astronomers are brewing up some new weird formulae together with his mathematicians.

The Nile will flood on an extremely regular basis.

I accept no direct responsibility for the rest of the world.

Speaking of the rest of the world...

Solar Wind Speed: 384 km/sec

Solar Wind Magnetic Fields: Bt 5 nT, Bz 1 nT

Noon 10.7cm Radio Flux: 72 sfu

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The Nile will flood on an extremely regular basis.

I accept no direct responsibility for the rest of the world.

Nonsense. Aren't you the one in charge of making sure the Sun will rise every morning?

10 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Nonsense. Aren't you the one in charge of making sure the Sun will rise every morning?

Only in the vicinity of the Nile.  And when the Ptolemaic usurpers took over the family job, they were stuck with the responsibility.  Julius, Mark Antony, and Octavius Agustus took the job in the name of Senate under the SPQR banner.  Emperor Constantine gave the Job to the Bishop of Rome.  Eventually, The Vatican added it to the duties of the Poor Fellow-Soldiers of Christ and of the Temple of Solomon