• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

According to Weather Underground, we have thunderstorms starting at 1:00 AM and going on, more or less, for 13 hours after that.  I strongly suspect I'll have a cat as a close companion for most of that time.

We are having the storms.  Explorer the Cat is sitting close to my head is acting a little put out, but she's not freaking out right now.  The storm is young and is supposed to last 12 hours, more or less.  Around 5 AM it's got a 99% chance of being "Heavy Thunderstorm" so if it's going to freak her out that would be the time

If we had heavy storms it didn't wake me up and Explorer the Cat didn't either. I heard faint thunder around 3:00 am. Weather Underground is still saying we have "isolated thunderstorms" until 1:00 PM, but I think Explorer and I dodged it.

9 hours ago, mlooney said:

If we had heavy storms it didn't wake me up and Explorer the Cat didn't either. I heard faint thunder around 3:00 am. Weather Underground is still saying we have "isolated thunderstorms" until 1:00 PM, but I think Explorer and I dodged it.

We are currently getting some medium range thunder.  It being daylight and not raining hard I can't get a flash to bang time, but based on sound volume it sound like last night where I was getting a solid 12 to 15 seconds, which maps to about 3 miles away.  Regardless, Explorer the Cat is just taking a nap by my feet in the bed. 

According to Weather Underground, tomorrow we have thunderstorms likely from 02:00 AM to 12:00 PM.  I suspect Explorer the Cat is going to get out of the underwear and sock box about then.  Or she might just huddle in place, it is a nice bed for her and is pretty much hidden from the world.  More later.  

9 hours ago, mlooney said:

According to Weather Underground, tomorrow we have thunderstorms likely from 02:00 AM to 12:00 PM.

I'm not quite sure when the storm started, but about 2 hours ago I was awakened by Explorer the Cat trying to burrow under the covers.  About 15 minutes ago she decided that storm or no storm, it's time to run around the house.

12 hours ago, mlooney said:

According to Weather Underground, tomorrow we have thunderstorms likely from 02:00 AM to 12:00 PM.

Well, that didn't happen.  Storm broke about an hour ago.  Now they are saying fair to partly cloudy skies for the rest of the day.

12 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Why do you keep going to that website?

Most of us need to know about weather in the sky

Ignoring the sky vs underground issue for the moment, the reason why I use Weather Underground vs Weather.com is because weather,com uses Joplin MO as it's reference for Pittsburg KS.  Granted they are fairly close, but it's still 30 some odd miles to Joplin.  Weather Underground uses several weather reporting stations in Pittsburg.  I have it set to use the one closes to my house, the sewage treatment plant, which is about a mile away.

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

Ignoring the sky vs underground issue for the moment, the reason why I use Weather Underground vs Weather.com is because weather,com uses Joplin MO as it's reference for Pittsburg KS.  Granted they are fairly close, but it's still 30 some odd miles to Joplin.  Weather Underground uses several weather reporting stations in Pittsburg.  I have it set to use the one closes to my house, the sewage treatment plant, which is about a mile away.

I am curious how they fair here. Probably both use RDU airport, which is within 20 miles. Seems like everyone references RDU in my area.

We are currently at 84 degrees F with a 40% chance of a thunderstorm tonight/early tomorrow morning.  Same thing forecast tomorrow.  While I'm not fond of thunderstorms due to their effect on Explorer the Cat, this is the sort of weather I'd rather have.

I'm hearing thunder and Explorer the Cat is starting to freak out a bit. Not as bad as she has, but she is acting a bit weird and is trying to climb under the covers.

Well she was.  She jumped off the bed and went into the underwear and sock box as I was typing this.

On 3/26/2020 at 8:31 PM, mlooney said:

We are currently at 84 degrees F with a 40% chance of a thunderstorm tonight/early tomorrow morning.  Same forecast tomorrow.

Now down to 20% chance of rain with a chance of thunderstorm and the radar is clear.  I think that thunder I heard is all that I'm going to get.

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

Now down to 20% chance of rain with a chance of thunderstorm and the radar is clear.  I think that thunder I heard is all that I'm going to get.

Spoke too soon.   Having a thunderstorm now, that they say will last a couple of hours.   Explorer the Cat is being extra needy right now, but not trying to go under the covers.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Spoke too soon.   Having a thunderstorm now, that they say will last a couple of hours.   Explorer the Cat is being extra needy right now, but not trying to go under the covers.

The storm seems to be over, however it's still raining a bit. EtC has settled in to her normal nighttime resting spot of on my knees.

29 minutes ago, mlooney said:

The storm seems to be over, however it's still raining a bit. EtC has settled in to her normal nighttime resting spot of on my knees.

The rain has stopped, and they are giving a 40% chance of "scattered thunderstorms".  The radar seems to show that this is the trailing edge of the storm front, so we might have a nice day after all.  Not that I'm going outside.  I mean I wouldn't even if I wasn't under a shelter in place order.

48 minutes ago, mlooney said:

We are having a thunderstorm, but Explorer the Cat is being very mellow about it.

She's not only being mellow about it but has decided to hang up in a window and watch the rain, something she has never done before.

It's 80 degrees out right now. It's going to be 60ish tomorrow. Need to remember to turn the AC back to heater sometime tonight.

Thursday evening into Friday morning, we got at least a foot of heavy wet snow. All night I heard tree branches snapping; in the morning our yard was full of fallen branches: most small or medium size, but there were two right across the driveway that needed to be cut to be moved (plus a small tree that the snow plow managed to push across the end of the driveway). We spent most of Friday day cleaning up, and there's still several medium size branches we haven't gotten to yet.

Oh, and our power went out about midnight Thursday Night / Friday Morning, and isn't back on yet. Luckily we don't need power for heat, but we do need it for water and cooking. We went out and bought more water so we won't go thirsty, but it's still really annoying not being able to use the faucets. And cooked meals are right out unless we do takeout.

I'm using up the last of the power in my laptop right now; if we don't get power back in the next few days I might attempt to access the forums on my phone - assuming I can keep that charged...