• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

Needy cat / Thunderstorm time has been adjusted to 5:00 AM til 11:00 AM Sunday.

Time of storm now 6:00 to 8:00, with only a 50% chance of rain, so It's possible that Explorer and I will not have a storm at all.  Can't say that I'm unhappy with this.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Time of storm now 6:00 to 8:00, with only a 50% chance of rain, so It's possible that Explorer and I will not have a storm at all.  Can't say that I'm unhappy with this.

Now down to 7:00 to 8:00 with only a 35% chance of rain.  I think we aren't getting a thunderstorm this morning.

The current forecast is for the storm to hit around 10 to 11 this morning.  There is an impressive storm front on the radar about 3 counties over from us.  Might get a storm after all.

I'm hearing thunder in the distance and we just got this:

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 915 AM CDT FOR BOURBON AND CRAWFORD COUNTIES...

At 846 AM CDT, severe thunderstorms were located along a line extending from 7 miles west of Fulton to 6 miles south of Redfield to near St. Paul, moving east at 45 mph.

HAZARD...70 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail has been reported with these storms.

SOURCE...Trained weather spotters.

IMPACT...Hail damage to vehicles is expected. Expect considerable tree damage. Wind damage is also likely to mobile homes, roofs, and outbuildings.

Explorer the Cat could care less and is busy cleaning her paws while laying on the bookcase.

Well, the storm is here and we are getting dime or slightly larger sized hail.  Raining fairly hard as well.  EtC could care less, or is hiding her freak out really really well.

The storm has more or less passed.  EtC is making using the computer hard, but not being any more needy than she normally does when she gets on the computer desk.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Just had a VERY close lightning strike.  Power didn't blink but flash to bang time was sub second.

Ever had one close enough that you heard the hiss of the leader, just before the flash?

19 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Ever had one close enough that you heard the hiss of the leader, just before the flash?

I was on a radar antenna that took a lightning strike, so yeah, sorta. 

I've witnessed (as in "looked at") a strike on an electric pole that I would estimate was no more than 40 yards away, as the football flies. There was no warning. Just, BAM! Instantaneous light and sound. Enough to tell you to get the fark back inside the building now.

28 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I've witnessed (as in "looked at") a strike on an electric pole that I would estimate was no more than 40 yards away, as the football flies. There was no warning. Just, BAM! Instantaneous light and sound. Enough to tell you to get the fark back inside the building now.

Like I said, I was on an antenna that took a direct hit. I was knocked out and spent a week in the hospital afterwards.

42 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

YIKES!

Yeah, that was a fun year.  Got bit by a rabid dog and had another electrical shock that sent me to the hospital.    Best year of my life really.

19 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And yet no superpowers?

Have comic books been lying to me?

Well I do have the power to make windshield wipers stop working.  Back when I still had a license to drive that would be the first thing to fail on any car I owned or borrowed for any amount of time.

It's raining now.  Other than a 2 hour break around noon, Weather Underground is saying that from 10:00 AM to 9:00 PM we are due for Thunderstorms or scattered Thunderstorms.  I'm just thrilled this is going to be a thing today.  I suspect that if she knew Explorer the Cat would be just as thrilled.   However when I told her she was either playing kitty soccer with a rolled up paper ball or she was running at top speed.

And we just got the first thunderclap.  EtC stopped cleaning her feet while on top of Godzilla just long enough to look up, then went back to cleaning.  It's possible that she is getting over her fear of thunderstorms.

9 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Just as long as she doesn't respond to "Thunder, THUNDER, THUNDERCATS, HO!"

I just tried that.  She looked at me like I was crazed.

According to Weather Underground I'll have about 4 hours of "Scattered Strong Storms" with the chance of rain being about 40% starting about an 6:00.  Given that EtC didn't have any reaction to the last 2 storms I'm waiting to see what she does this time, assuming we have a storm at all.