• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

Currently 61, supposed to get down to 44 tonight and possibly as low as 31 Friday night.

I've not been able to find any specific claim that it has snowed here in recorded history. (One site claims that average total January snowfall is 0.1" but I suspect their software just refused to do 0.) It does occasionally get cold enough to snow... but considering that I've spent several winters here (summers elsewhere) and have only seen water present in the river through town twice, and have never seen it flowing in the river...

(I know it does happen - there are several streets in town with "flash flood area" signs.)

Currently 61, supposed to get down to 44 tonight and possibly as low as 31 Friday night.

I've not been able to find any specific claim that it has snowed here in recorded history. (One site claims that average total January snowfall is 0.1" but I suspect their software just refused to do 0.) It does occasionally get cold enough to snow... but considering that I've spent several winters here (summers elsewhere) and have only seen water present in the river through town twice, and have never seen it flowing in the river...

(I know it does happen - there are several streets in town with "flash flood area" signs.)

Forecast for rain tomorrow, changing to winter mix then snow Wednesday and Thursday.  Up to about a foot of snow. I am not  by gruntled this.

I'ts been snowing for a few hours.  Forecast to stop for a while about 10:45 AM then pick up again between 3 and 4 PM, then keep snowing until 7-8 AM tomorrow.  Could be worse, it could be raining.

On 2/2/2022 at 8:59 AM, mlooney said:

I'ts been snowing for a few hours.  Forecast to stop for a while about 10:45 AM then pick up again between 3 and 4 PM, then keep snowing until 7-8 AM tomorrow.  Could be worse, it could be raining.

Why is rain bad? We usually teeter on needing more.

2 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Why is rain bad? We usually teeter on needing more.

Rain makes my joints hurt, mainly due to the pressure changes that happen when a storm front moves in.  Some snow storms produce the same effect.

It's cold out side (11.3 Freedom units) My central heat is running. Current temperature in the living room is 65. I'm wearing my fluffy robe and have an electric lap blanket on my lap, plus have a ceramic heater running in the bed room. It's forecast to get down to 8 tonight. I hope both the electric blanket on the bed and the ceramic heater are enough tonight.

7 minutes ago, mlooney said:

It's cold outside (11.3 Freedom units) ...

I would not go dissing another culture at present. We are likely to need all the friends we can muster soon.

Also, technically, Celsius would be 'Freedom Units'. Their adoption in France was hastened by the French Revolution.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Also, technically, Celsius would be 'Freedom Units'. Their adoption in France was hastened by the French Revolution.

Point

38 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Units like farenheit, celsius & kelvin are jokes compared to the real temp system

Mom is cold, wear a jacket

Well, I don't have a mom in this house, so I've fallen back on the "Mike is cold" theory.

My mom is gone as well, but she left an enduring lesson

She was always cold, so i always wear a jacket

Yes, even in the Florida summers I never leave my house without the jacket

Thanks Mom, for the jacket lessons and the sinuses you gave me

"A sweater is a garment that a child wears when their mother feels cold".  Don't remember where I got that from, but it's a quote from some where.

<google>  Ah, here is it is.  Chilly not cold, but it's an Ambrose Bierce quote.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/20256-sweater-n-garment-worn-by-child-when-its-mother-is

12 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

How about your hiking socks? :)

I wear those as my day to day socks.  Often with out shoes, but I've  got shoes on today.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Units like farenheit, celsius & kelvin are jokes compared to the real temp system

Mom is cold, wear a jacket

My ex literally did this to our kids, so much so that they were aware of it at a young age.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

My mom is gone as well, but she left an enduring lesson

She was always cold, so i always wear a jacket

Yes, even in the Florida summers I never leave my house without the jacket

Thanks Mom, for the jacket lessons and the sinuses you gave me

If you moved to Florida from elsewhere, the sinus issues may well be a 'gift' from the state. You are pretty far down the peninsula, the 'allergy belt stretches from where I'm at in NC down to the north end of Florida, and coast to westward, I don't know how far, but its a typical pollen mix thing, so the drop off is not sharp. If you have southern pines, you are probably being trashed by them seasonally. That's when everything outdoors looks like it's been painted chartreuse.

Supposedly, you typically gain an immunity to the pollen where you grow up. Moving is what kills you. I know it is true for me. No allergies until I joined the USAF, and a couple of duty stations around the allergy belt, and I'm a believer.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

"A sweater is a garment that a child wears when their mother feels cold".  Don't remember where I got that from, but it's a quote from some where.

<google>  Ah, here is it is.  Chilly not cold, but it's an Ambrose Bierce quote.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/20256-sweater-n-garment-worn-by-child-when-its-mother-is

Devil's Dictionary. I believe he is the Ur author of the kind, he's at the very least a forerunner. The style was widely copied in the early days of the Internet.

I read a short bio of Ambrose Bierce some years ago. He was quite the character. If I recall correctly he joined up with Pancho Villa, then disappeared.

Yeah, I knew it was in the Devil's dictionary after seeing the full quote and the style of the quote.  I think I have that as one of my dictd data files.  Or that might have been on my last machine.  I haven't been using dictionaries much of late

3 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Supposedly, you typically gain an immunity to the pollen where you grow up.

I grew up around oak trees.  Never got an immunity to oak pollen.  Granted that's only about 3 weeks in the spring, not a long term problem, but looking for oak trees is something I do when deciding on where to move to.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

I grew up around oak trees.  Never got an immunity to oak pollen.  Granted that's only about 3 weeks in the spring, not a long term problem, but looking for oak trees is something I do when deciding on where to move to.

One of my kids has lived here most of her life, and is sensitive to all the local pollen, so there's no guarantee.

OMG, our weather is psycho. Mid 50s on Saturday (I swear it hit 60), beautiful day, I took a nice walk. Low to mid 40s on Sunday, and rainy all day, then down to 25 overnight. I can see why the snowbirds move to Florida.

We had 81 yesterday and today is forecast to top out at 58. The 58 is about average for February here. The 80-plus was a record high heat wave for this time of year.

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

OMG, our weather is psycho. Mid 50s on Saturday (I swear it hit 60), beautiful day, I took a nice walk. Low to mid 40s on Sunday, and rainy all day, then down to 25 overnight. I can see why the snowbirds move to Florida.

I'm in "The Sunshine State" and, except for the 25o low, our weekend was quite similar