• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

54 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

90 Delisle scale (°D) would be barely bearable (104°F)

What is this?  I've heard of Celsius and Kelvin, of course, but I've never heard of this scale.  <google><Wikipedia>  Still confused...

There is someone burying a pipe that runs from his to rain spout to what looks like the middle of the yard. on the other side of my house. I'm not happy about where it ends and I'm surprised that some one is working on the 4th of July when it's 100 degrees heat index (freedom unit). Must be the home owner or renter.

21 hours ago, mlooney said:

What is this?  I've heard of Celsius and Kelvin, of course, but I've never heard of this scale.  <google><Wikipedia>  Still confused...

I never heard of it before. I imagine there are plenty of obscure ones in the past.

Rankine is like Kelvin, zero is absolute zero, but denominated in Fahrenheit degrees.

The Wiki Delise scale article list three others I never heard of, Newton, Romer with a slash through the o, and Reaumur with an accent on the e.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Rankine is like Kelvin, zero is absolute zero, but denominated in Fahrenheit degrees.

That sounds like a solution looking for a problem.  People that use Fahrenheit don't normally deal with things that Kelvin is designed be used by.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

That sounds like a solution looking for a problem.

I've heard that expression before, but it is very quotable.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

People that use Fahrenheit don't normally deal with things that Kelvin is designed be used by.

I think it was relevant in the late 1800s through the earlier half of the 20th Century. Anymore, it's archaic.

43 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I think it was relevant in the late 1800s through the earlier half of the 20th Century. Anymore, it's archaic.

It’s like the use of milli- and micro-inches to express very small lengths in the time before the English-speaking world started using metric units.

1 minute ago, ijuin said:

It’s like the use of milli- and micro-inches to express very small lengths in the time before the English-speaking world started using metric units.

I've never heard the term 'milli-inch' but I believe micrometers were calibrated in 1000ths of an inch.

I took civil technology in high school in the late 1960s, like civil engineering lite, and we learned archaic terms like Kips, which was something like 1000s of lb.

I can convert distance in my head easy enough, but would need a scratch pad to do cubic inch displacement to metric or PSI to metric.

It's going to be hot today. tonight and tomorrow.  Lowest forecast is 77 around dawn tomorrow.  Heat index is forecast to be 109 at peak today.  On the plus side, no storm front so no body aches.  The fans are helping. 

22 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I've never heard the term 'milli-inch' but I believe micrometers were calibrated in 1000ths of an inch.

You might have heard of the thicknesses of various things stated in “mils”?

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

You might have heard of the thicknesses of various things stated in “mils”?

As does the rope that leads up into the ceiling below the steeple, that rings a bell.

As it happens "angular mils" is short for Milliradian.  6400 being a full circle is an approximation.  It's actually 6,283.185 for a full circle.  Despite being based on a SI unit, it's one of the things that varies by country.  6400 for NATO, 6000 for Warsaw Pact and 6300 for Swedish.  I have no idea what the countries that used to be Warsaw Pact but are now NATO use.  I guess it would depend on the equipment in use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milliradian#Definitions_for_maps_and_artillery

Another hot day.  High forecast to be 99 real, heat index of 107 or so.  Slight chance of rain tonight.  So far I'm not having any body aches, so there is that.

Hail sucks if you own a car and it's not under cover.  Or get caught out in it, which is already a bad thing because you are in heavy rain.  I think that heavy rain is a requirement for hail.

The good news is that the heat wave has broken, at least for a couple of days.  The bad news is because there was a [redacted][redacted]mother[redacted] storm front rolling in, so body aches are the thing of the day.  Less than thrilled.

Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier National Park was declared fully open on July 13 this year. The opening was delayed because of excessive snow and continued bad weather, including a bit of a snowstorm about a week earlier.

It has opened on July 13 on two previous occasions: 2020 due to the Covid pandemic, and 2011 due to excessive snow. Normally it opens in June, occasionally in May.

The only later official opening day was the very first official opening, on July 15 1933. On that occasion there was a dedication ceremony with various visiting officials and dignitaries, so it had to be scheduled well in advance - and it would have been embarrassing to have to delay it due to snow, so they scheduled the ceremony late enough they could be near-certain the road would be open. In fact, it had been open for four days already - since July 11.

(The norm is that they officially say "it will be open no earlier than..." until the day they say "it's open".)

(I wish I could find what date it opened in 1934 or 1935 - the first opening days clearly not altered by the needs of public ceremony.)

Weather Underground says we have a forecast of about 16% chance of rain today, going up ~25% tonight.  Their radar shows storm clouds over Small City Kansas, so I suspect I'm going to get rain.  On the other hand, I'm not having body aches, so I'm not all that upset.  

On 7/6/2022 at 5:13 PM, mlooney said:

Due to may radar background, a mil to me is an unit of angular measurement.  Equal to (at least in NATO) 1/6400 of a circle.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/angular_mil

We have rain coming. It hasn't rained yet today here, but the storm clouds are rolling in, ready to dump.

We get lots of rain, so you'd think we'd be OK, but it runs off and we have drought conditions.

Just to the east of Raleigh is The Great Dismal Swamp. Remember Francis Marion, The Swamp Fox? His actual stomping grounds. Eastern NC is pretty much swampy.

We had an alert as I was driving to an event, thunderstorms and high (60 mph) winds to the west, crawling east, and alleged quarter sized hail (hail the approximate size of a US quarter). I missed all that fun, but did drive through some rain. It was still raining lightly as I was leaving.

We had spits of rain around 6:30 this evening.  Just enough to show up on the windshield of the car, not really enough to make anything wet.  Didn't lower the temperature any

It's 102 (freedom) 39 (rest of world) degrees out now.  My AC has it down to 88 in side.  I'm less than happy, but no body aches, so there is that.

It's 88 (freedom units)  32 (rest of world) out side.  It's 82 (27) inside. My AC sucks.
Oops, up to 89 now.  High is forecast to be 101 (38)
Today is going to suck.  But at least no body aches.  Slight headache, but it's responding to meds.