• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

6 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Not like a black hole, I assume.

Technically black holes don't suck, any more than stars or planets do. If your space ship has the power to get away from a massive star at a certain distance, then it can get away from a black hole of the same mass at the same distance just as easily. The "danger" is that the escape velocity rises the closer you get to it, so if you keep heading towards it eventually you'll reach a point where you can't get away again.

15 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Technically black holes don't suck, any more than stars or planets do. If your space ship has the power to get away from a massive star at a certain distance, then it can get away from a black hole of the same mass at the same distance just as easily. The "danger" is that the escape velocity rises the closer you get to it, so if you keep heading towards it eventually you'll reach a point where you can't get away again.

So you're saying everything sucks. You may have a point.

We have a forecast of about a 65% chance of rain starting in about 30 minutes.  Oddly I don't have body aches or a headache.  Knocking wood it stays that way.

24 minutes ago, mlooney said:

We have a forecast of about a 65% chance of rain starting in about 30 minutes.  Oddly I don't have body aches or a headache.  Knocking wood it stays that way.

They changed the forecast.  Now set for 50ish% starting about 4:15.  I still don't have any random aches and I plan on being back asleep when it comes through.  Meh.

The bank sign said it was 104 when we drove by it.  Weather underground was saying 100, now down to 98.  It's 91 in the house now.  But on the plus side, no body aches do to rain fronts.

Edit - Now up to 101.  And it's forecast to only get down to 75 tonight/tomorrow morning.   

It's cooler today.  It's 2:00 PM and it's only up to 85 in the house.  It's 95 outside and it's forecast to "only" get up to 99 today.  Weather Underground is saying "cooler than yesterday".

It's 87, forecast to get to 103, then about 30% chance of rain all night.  So far no body aches, but the front might not be here yet.

Oh freaking great.  They changed the 9:45 stop time for the current thunderstorm to 11:00.  Radar shows a major rain band coming in from the west.  Seems like I'm going to have body aches for the rest of the day.

I suspect I'll be waking up early tomorrow and in a minor amount of pain, based on the forecast of rain starting about 05:00. Hoping that I'm wrong, we have had some storm front roll in with out causing body aches, but they are rare.  Meh.  I have drugs if needed.

Part of the reason I didn't sleep last night was due to a rain front rolling in and giving me body aches.  Forecast is for the rain to end about 9:30.  Less than thrilled by this. I fact I'm full not gruntled.  Taking some analgesics and hoping they work.

44 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Part of the reason I didn't sleep last night was due to a rain front rolling in and giving me body aches.  Forecast is for the rain to end about 9:30.  Less than thrilled by this. I fact I'm full not gruntled.  Taking some analgesics and hoping they work.

Consider relocating to a desert region?

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Consider relocating to a desert region?

Only if I can find one that has as low of a cost of living as Small City Kansas.  And I don't really deal well with desert heat. I lived in El Paso for several years and I don't buy that "It's a dry heat" crap.

The rain has stopped, the front has moved on (at least according to the weather radar on Weather Underground) and the analgesics seem to be working, or my body aches have subsided. I'm still tired from lack of sleep, but not groggy. Please world, don't harsh my mellow.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Only if I can find one that has as low of a cost of living as Small City Kansas.  And I don't really deal well with desert heat. I lived in El Paso for several years and I don't buy that "It's a dry heat" crap.

El Paso is far south. The entire Rockies is high desert, and it gets various  levels of cold as you go north.

I don't think any of it is cheap to live, though.

19 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

El Paso is far south.

How can it be far south when it's full name is El Paso De Norte?  Or pass of the north.  Granted it's SCA name is "Citadel of the Southern Pass", but that is due in the most part for the SCA not having a lot of groups in Mexico.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

How can it be far south when it's full name is El Paso De Norte?  Or pass of the north.  Granted it's SCA name is "Citadel of the Southern Pass", but that is due in the most part for the SCA not having a lot of groups in Mexico.

It's a regional tradition to use opposite names, like 'Rio Grande'.

24 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

It's a regional tradition to use opposite names, like 'Rio Grande'.

The Rio Grande is in fact a large river around the big bend.  Not so much further west.

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

The Rio Grande is in fact a large river around the big bend.  Not so much further west.

It can be a Rio disappointment. It was acting up this week, record drownings.

It's forecast to have a good chance of rain until 5:00 PM.  I have all over body aches and the start of a migraine.  Less than gruntled by this turn of events.  On the gripping hand I'm getting a lot of the 2nd stage of date gathering done for Project X.

As I write this, Ian is  making landfall a few counties south of my home as a catagory 4.  

I have no power, so I'll be going off line as soon as Ifinish.  

I think the wind and rain i'm getting now will continue for several more hours, but should not get much worse.  And the circulation should prevent storm surge in my neighborhood.  Unlike arround Naples.

Spare a thought, a prayer, and (if you are so inclined) a few dollars to a relief agency you trust to help the people in Ian's path.  That part of Florida is so flat, the 12 foot storm surge can put several beautiful cities under water.  

Time to put away my phone until I can charge it again.

Good luck & stay dry.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

As I write this, Ian is  making landfall a few counties south of my home as a category 4.  

I have no power, so I'll be going off line as soon as I finish.  

I think the wind and rain I'm getting now will continue for several more hours, but should not get much worse.  And the circulation should prevent storm surge in my neighborhood.  Unlike around Naples.

Spare a thought, a prayer, and (if you are so inclined) a few dollars to a relief agency you trust to help the people in Ian's path.  That part of Florida is so flat, the 12 foot storm surge can put several beautiful cities under water.  

Time to put away my phone until I can charge it again.

Good luck & stay dry.

The peninsula is mostly a few feet above sea level. The high point in all of Florida is something like 200 feet.

Update.

Power is still out at my home so i am posting this on the road.

Damage in my neigborhood was random.  My trash can blew down the street.  A sick banana tree was knocked over.  So was the park enterance sign, taking several power lines with it.