• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

Nine hours later and the A/C still isn't working. "Problem with the condenser not kicking on like it's supposed to. A tech is on his way from Dallas."

On a brand new unit, no less. This does not bode well.

Fourteen hours. Almost midnight. The tech finally arrived about 30 minutes ago.

The initial diagnosis before he arrived? A bad NEST thermostat (comes free with the system). Bring in another thermostat—a regular one this time—still no joy. Bring in a "special" thermostat that's designed to work with heat pumps (why the fark didn't they use that the first time?). Still no joy. That's when the tech arrived.

I THINK that we're finally getting some cool air through the vents. It's been so hot in here all day that it's hard to tell yet.

Anyway, they're going to come back with a hopefully working NEST thermostat tomorrow (or today, depending on whether or not they leave by midnight).

EDIT: It's after midnight. They're still here.

...HEAT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM CDT SATURDAY...

* TEMPERATURES...HIGH TEMPERATURES WILL REACH THE MIDDLE AND
  UPPER 90S WITH AFTERNOON HEAT INDEX VALUES BETWEEN 103 AND

The A/C guys left just before 1:00 a.m. this morning. The heat pump-specific thermostat, plus some additional tweaking, did the trick. We had cool air at last overnight.

Now, we await their return with a (hopefully) working NEST thermostat. I told them to bring a backup NEST, in case the first one they try today is yet another broken one. Either way, the A/C will be down for an unspecified amount of time again today, with a Heat Advisory still in effect.

(I do have to credit some of the upgrades we've made to the house for working better than expected yesterday. The temperatures hit around 95°F, with an even higher heat index, but it never got hotter than 83°F in the house.)

1 hour ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

I still don't get the 'Invading france' thing...

On the old forum Durning the fall and winter I was checking the weather in Broken Arrow, Chicago and Copenhagen.  After a while I added Paris.  Turns out last fall it normally had better weather than the 3 other places.  I kept telling old hack to embrace his Viking heritage and invade France for the weather.  Became sort of a running joke.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

On the old forum Durning the fall and winter I was checking the weather in Broken Arrow, Chicago and Copenhagen.  After a while I added Paris.  Turns out last fall it normally had better weather than the 3 other places.  I kept telling old hack to embrace his Viking heritage and invade France for the weather.  Became sort of a running joke.

I reiterate, France is full of Frenchmen, and worse still, Paris is full of Parisians. And the closer you get to Paris, the more provincial the locals become. It's a nonstarter.

Forget Paris.
Lead a Viking Raid to reclaim what was Danish Territory.

The Danes sold the Danish West Indies to the US in 1916 and the US Virgin Island politicians have not yet agreed on a territorial constitution with the US Congress, so it remains an Unincorporated Territory.

Current conditions at

King Airport, St. Thomas (TIST)

Lat: 18.34°N Lon: 64.97°W Elev: 23ft.

sct.png

Fair 82°F 28°C

Humidity 79%
Wind Speed E 8 mph
Barometer 30.03 in
Dewpoint 75°F (24°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 89°F (32°C)
Last update 18 Jun 6:53 am AST

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Forget Paris.
Lead a Viking Raid to reclaim what was Danish Territory.

The Danes sold the Danish West Indies to the US in 1916 and the US Virgin Island politicians have not yet agreed on a territorial constitution with the US Congress, so it remains an Unincorporated Territory.

While on the surface a reasonable proposition, I plain don't dare to. Gomer Pyle might be stationed there, and then where would I and my Vikings be? :doom:

7 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

While on the surface a reasonable proposition, I plain don't dare to. Gomer Pyle might be stationed there, and then where would I and my Vikings be? :doom:

Gomer retired, as a Sergeant, in 2014.  (See Accolades and honors)

Tulsa, OK

as of 5:05 pm CDT

91°
Mostly Cloudy
feels like 102°
H - L 74°

Well, isn't this special.  Got an alert right after the mostly cloudy changed to "cloudy"
  • Issuing Office: Tulsa

Source: The National Weather Service

5:43pm CDT, Sat Jun 18

SIGNIFICANT WEATHER ADVISORY UNTIL 6:30PM CDT SAT

... SIGNIFICANT WEATHER ADVISORY FOR NORTHEASTERN OKMULGEE... SOUTHEASTERN OSAGE... SOUTHWESTERN WAGONER... NORTHWESTERN MUSKOGEE... NORTHEASTERN CREEK AND TULSA COUNTIES UNTIL 630 PM CDT...

AT 543 PM CDT... STRONG THUNDERSTORMS WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM TULSA TO 3 MILES SOUTHWEST OF STONEBLUFF. MOVEMENT WAS WEST AT 5 MPH.

WIND GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE WITH THESE STORMS.

LOCATIONS IN OR NEAR THE PATH INCLUDE... TULSA... BROKEN ARROW... SAND SPRINGS... BIXBY... SAPULPA... JENKS... GLENPOOL... COWETA... HASKELL... KIEFER... STONEBLUFF... LIBERTY... CHOSKA... HECTORVILLE... GRAY... LEONARD...

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 44 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 212 AND 232.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

FREQUENT CLOUD TO GROUND LIGHTNING IS OCCURRING WITH THESE STORMS. LIGHTNING CAN STRIKE 10 MILES AWAY FROM A THUNDERSTORM. SEEK A SAFE SHELTER INSIDE A BUILDING OR VEHICLE.

&&

Mostly Cloudy? Why am I hearing thunder then?

17 hours ago, mlooney said:

Mostly Cloudy? Why am I hearing thunder then?

Probably your dishwasher finally succeeded in summoning an Elder God and you just haven't noticed yet. You will when it has finished eating Sand Springs.

9 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Probably your dishwasher finally succeeded in summoning an Elder God and you just haven't noticed yet. You will when it has finished eating Sand Springs.

Good theory, but impossible.  The thunder was coming from the South East and Sand Springs is west of me.

20 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

You mean it used to be west of you.

Unless the media has been infiltrated by cultists of one or more of the elder Gods, which is possible, it still is. At least no reports of it moving.  Also I have friends that live in Sand Springs.  Kelsey would have said something on Facebook. Not do sure about her husband, however.

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FORT WORTH TX
123 AM CDT TUE JUL 5 2016

TXC113-050645-
/O.CON.KFWD.SV.W.0279.000000T0000Z-160705T0645Z/
DALLAS TX-
123 AM CDT TUE JUL 5 2016

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 145 AM CDT
FOR EASTERN DALLAS COUNTY...

AT 122 AM CDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WAS LOCATED OVER BALCH SPRINGS...
MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 35 MPH.

HAZARD...60 MPH WIND GUSTS.

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED.

IMPACT...EXPECT DAMAGE TO ROOFS...SIDING...AND TREES.

THIS SEVERE STORM WILL BE NEAR...
  COMBINE AROUND 130 AM CDT.

OTHER LOCATIONS IMPACTED BY THIS SEVERE THUNDERSTORM INCLUDE
BUCKINGHAM.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

FOR YOUR PROTECTION STAY INSIDE A STURDY STRUCTURE AND KEEP AWAY FROM
WINDOWS.

HEAVY RAINFALL IS OCCURRING WITH THIS STORM AND MAY LEAD TO FLASH
FLOODING. DO NOT DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE THROUGH FLOODED ROADWAYS.

82° F

Clear right now, Thunderstorms, some severe on deck for this afternoon or evening.

In other words early summer in Oklahoma.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

82° F

Clear right now, Thunderstorms, some severe on deck for this afternoon or evening.

In other words early summer in Oklahoma.

Of course when they said afternoon or evening, they meant "around 9:00 this morning".

I'm starting to think the "accuweather" app on my tablet isn't so accu.