• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

Mostly cloudy, 88F coming off a high of 93, 37% humidity and effectively no wind.

No rain likely thank the gods.

What are you compiling?

gcc, via brew.

89°
Clear
feels like 97°

Please to note that it's 23:00 (11:00 PM).  It should not feel like it's damn near 100 at 11 PM.
And, this being Oklahoma, Weather.com says we will have a 30 minute long thundershower starting at 5:30 AM.  And then it gets hot again.  I can not wait for that cold front to get here.  Even if it does (slightly) increase the odds of thunderstorms.

And six months from now I'm going to be bitching because it's 20 degrees and sleeting.   Weather sucks when you are on the edge of a good sized plateau and don't have a handy large body of water to act as a heat sink.  Granted when we get nasty wind, while stronger than hurricanes, much less wide.  And not as much water being pushed around.  I can really hate SoCal now, not only do we have crappier weather, we are beating them in earthquakes now.  Of course, most of ours are sub 4 on the richter scale, and have caused no real damage as yet...

It's freaking 60 degrees in Paris right now and the high tomorrow is lower than our low.  Not freaking fair.

We've been in the 90s for several days now.  Tomorrow they're predicting storms popping up at random pretty much all day and into the next morning, but at least it'll cool off a bit.

Looney, we may be relatively near the north coast, but the weather moves the wrong direction here, from inland towards the lake. No "lake effect" in Chicagoland unless you're within spittin' distance of the Lake itself.  Unless you count northwest Indiana as part of Greater Chicagoland, they do get some "lake effect snow" over there.

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

We've been in the 90s for several days now.  Tomorrow they're predicting storms popping up at random pretty much all day and into the next morning, but at least it'll cool off a bit.

Looney, we may be relatively near the north coast, but the weather moves the wrong direction here, from inland towards the lake. No "lake effect" in Chicagoland unless you're within spittin' distance of the Lake itself.  Unless you count northwest Indiana as part of Greater Chicagoland, they do get some "lake effect snow" over there.

Yeah, I was going to specify you as some one that had worse weather than I do at times, but we get more tornadoes and microbursts more than you do, and in general our summer is worse.  Not by a lot, but it's longer.  Sort of a wash really.

Friday you get 83 and rain.  We get 96 and thunderstorms.  More or less the same in effect, but ours is more "extreme".

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Yeah, I was going to specify you as some one that had worse weather than I do at times, but we get more tornadoes and microbursts more than you do, and in general our summer is worse.  Not by a lot, but it's longer.  Sort of a wash really.

Friday you get 83 and rain.  We get 96 and thunderstorms.  More or less the same in effect, but ours is more "extreme".

Oh, great, now we're going to end up with tornadoes and microbursts and what-all....

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

It's freaking 60 degrees in Paris right now and the high tomorrow is lower than our low.  Not freaking fair.

Gah. Suddenly I feel like taking up those plans to conquer Paris just out of sympathy for you. Maybe when I control the place, you could move into the Louvre.

...A HEAT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM CDT THIS EVENING...

* TEMPERATURES...HIGH TEMPERATURES OF 100 TO 105 DEGREES CAN BE
  EXPECTED WITH HEAT INDEX VALUES OF 105 TO 110 DEGREES.

* TIMING...DURING THE AFTERNOON AND EARLY EVENING HOURS.

* LOCATION...ALONG AND EAST OF A LINE FROM GAINESVILLE...TO FORT
  WORTH...TO WACO...TO KILLEEN.

Garland, TX Current Conditions:

Fair skies and 77°F
Humidity     89%
Wind Speed     S 5 mph
Barometer     29.83 in
Dewpoint     73°F
Visibility     10.00 mi
Heat Index    78°F

Dallas/Ft. Worth Current Conditions:

Partly Cloudy and 107°F
Humidity     27%
Wind Speed     W 12 G 20 mph
Barometer     29.73 in (1005.6 mb)
Dewpoint     66°F
Visibility     10.00 mi
Heat Index    113°F

I'm just hoping that it stays dry in the Denton County / North Fort Worth area Saturday. We're going to the re-running of the Firestone 600 IndyCar race. Our tickets from the rained-out/crashed-out/red-flagged-out running earlier this year are still good (good thing we didn't trash 'em).

They're doing a free driver autograph session on the main concourse between practice and race re-start (seriously, they're going to call, "Drivers! Re-start your engines!). Mrs. Prof will probably make a beeline for Tony Kanaan and James Hinchcliffe. I'll probably get them plus Takuma Sato, Alexander Rossi (this year's Indy 500 winner), and Helio Castroneves (because I enjoy waiting in mile-long lines with everyone else who'll probably want his signature). Might get Josef Newgarden as well.

Wonderful. The forecast for the race on Saturday is almost identical to the forecast from the day of the first rained-out race day: mid-to-upper 90s and a 10% chance of rain. Unfortunately, that 10% landed right on top of Texas Motor Speedway last time. Please, not again.

That "10% chance of rain" is deceptive. They have a certain, let's call it a district, that they publicly issue the forecast for, and the size of a detail of the weather can be considerably smaller than the district. So the forecast is for a person randomly located in the district. If there is a 100% chance of rain in one area that is a tenth of a district, there is a 10% chance that the randomly-located person will be randomly located in the rainy area - thus a certainty becomes a 10% chance.

They CAN do substantially better, particularly in the very-short term (like a couple hours), down to individual city blocks, but imagine how long the resulting weather reports would take...

Tulsa Oklahoma

74°
Sunny
feels like 74°
H 89° / L 71°
UV Index 0 of 10
Thunder start 1:15 pm
Thunder stop 3:15 pm

Nice day actually, other than the thunderstorm thing.

Tropical Storm Hermine is dumping an incredible amount of rain here on the land of the Manatee.

Current conditions at

Sarasota / Bradenton, Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport (KSRQ)

Lat: 27.4°N Lon: 82.56°W Elev: 30ft.

tsra.png

Thunderstorm Rain

Temp 78°F ( 26°C)

Extended Forecast for

Sarasota-Bradenton Intl Airport FL

Humidity 85%
Wind Speed NE 3 mph
Barometer 29.90 in (1012.4 mb)
Dewpoint 73°F (23°C)
Visibility 5.00 mi
Heat Index 80°F (27°C)
Last update 31 Aug 2:53 pm EDT
Flood Watch until September 2, 08:00pm
Flood Advisory until August 31, 05:15pm
Thunderstorm Rain

78°F (26°C)

Hermine is making a big impact on the Big Bend of Florida.  Here by Tampa Bay, she is dumping a LOT of rain.  It looks like she will move to the north east, but continue to draw tropical moisture from the Gulf of Mexico.  And the main feeder band for all that moisture will cover central Florida for quite a while.

So the places Hermine hit, and the places she nearly hit, will continue to get wet well into next week.

With all that rain there is a strong chance of thunderstorms, possibly severe, with high winds, lightning, tornados, local flooding, and water spouts.  But this will be ordinary storm damage.  Not hurricane damage.

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Hermine is making a big impact on the Big Bend of Florida.  Here by Tampa Bay, she is dumping a LOT of rain.  It looks like she will move to the north east, but continue to draw tropical moisture from the Gulf of Mexico.  And the main feeder band for all that moisture will cover central Florida for quite a while.

So the places Hermine hit, and the places she nearly hit, will continue to get wet well into next week.

With all that rain there is a strong chance of thunderstorms, possibly severe, with high winds, lightning, tornados, local flooding, and water spouts.  But this will be ordinary storm damage.  Not hurricane damage.

Nonetheless. Take care down there and make sure the family mummies are stored someplace dry.

Well it did rain again today, briefly.

Not a heavy rain but still embarrassing.  I called for lunch delivery, and it was dry.  About an hour later, the rain started and the driver showed up with my delivery.  I apologized and gave a large tip.

A long time ago I was in pizza delivery and hated it when people called us for delivery in bad weather.  I do not want to be "That Guy".

So.. I think hurricane Mathew is going to miss you Pharaoh. But apparently Fox News doesn't have much faith in the rest of Florida...

This was a literal toss up between posting here because it's weather related, or creating a "WTF?!?" thread because of what the meteorologist said.

Or reality. the storm has really not been that bad here. Rarely if ever is there a storm that bad here. I live around Melbourne(NW Palm borders West Melbourne adjacent and immediately SW of Melbourne. We aren't dead. We're far.from dead. We are not, I repeat not, pining for the fjords.

The strongest sustained winds so far have been 47.2 mph(tropical storm strength) and the strongest gusts have been 70.2 (which if sustained would be on par with a tropical storm winds).

Hell every so often they threw Haiti death figures at us. People alway die when hurricane roll through Haiti. Hell people die when tropical depressions roll through Haiti. They live in shanties and have nowhere to run to. They have few if any resources normally.

I only lived through one hurricane while living in the Houston area—Hurricane Fern, in 1971. It was a category one with 86 mph winds when it hit Port O'Connor, and I think the strongest sustained winds that we got in Pasadena were just below 70 mph. Child's play by comparison to what just hit Haiti.

What hit Haiti also hit Cuba, the Bahamas and closely skirted us.

Haiti 400 deaths and 80% of their buildings destroyed

Bahamas 26 dead "People are stuck in their homes, trees are down, roofs are down."

Florida 1 known death "500K without power" and I await other figures

Still no exact figures from cuba

Yes Matthew was powerful and Haiti was hit badly but thanks to how bad the situation is there normally it makes things a lot worse. no matter how strong or minor the issue and it's not entirely their fault. Between the exhaustion of resources, the poverty, the poor education, and the one disaster after another it's not a good life there.