• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

NP Monday March 20, 2017

5 hours ago, Sjmcc13 said:

Since his back is nice an level, I half expected WB to just mount a (mini-)gun on his back and let-er rip

Nice idea.  But lets take it up a notch.

We put a howdah with mounted miniguns on the back of a triceratops and load it with ammo.

38 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Nice idea.  But lets take it up a notch.

We put a howdah with mounted miniguns on the back of a triceratops and load it with ammo.

You need to play ARK: Survival Evolved then:

maxresdefault.jpg

large.bq2.jpg.41a6b897921281b230ab37a2db

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

You need to play ARK: Survival Evolved then:

maxresdefault.jpg

large.bq2.jpg.41a6b897921281b230ab37a2db

Bronto MIGHT be able to carry that (although they might already have problems with their own weight), but I'm sure the pterosaur wouldn't. Flying with so much metal?

7 hours ago, Sjmcc13 said:
15 hours ago, Stature said:

http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp.php?id=592

Big head, little paws, never sure how plan was thought through.
WB is toast.

Since his back is nice an level, I half expected WB to just mount a (mini-)gun on his back and let-er rip

Agree. Good idea.

How is he expecting to use martial arts anyway? Or fisticufs, whatever that is ...

Also, Nightcrawler? You get ability to teleport?

48 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Bronto MIGHT be able to carry that (although they might already have problems with their own weight), but I'm sure the pterosaur wouldn't. Flying with so much metal?

In the game both you and the dinos can level up and get points that can be spent in various attributes. I imagine those examples I gave were of dinos whom the player had leveled up pretty high and put all the points into stamina and carry capacity, because game logic.

32 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

In the game both you and the dinos can level up and get points that can be spent in various attributes. I imagine those examples I gave were of dinos whom the player had leveled up pretty high and put all the points into stamina and carry capacity, because game logic.

Oh, leveling and game logic, of course. I'm pretty sure the inventory I'm carrying in various RPGs wouldn't be possible to carry either. Not speaking about minecraft-type (sandbox construction) games :)

18 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Oh, leveling and game logic, of course. I'm pretty sure the inventory I'm carrying in various RPGs wouldn't be possible to carry either. Not speaking about minecraft-type (sandbox construction) games :)

Of course in ARK there is a penalty for trying to carry too much and you start to move slower at something like 75% capacity and then are unable to move at all when you've maxed out the amount you can carry. Also the attributes do seem to scale differently depending on the dino so obviously a bronto would be able to carry more than a triceratops. Though it is strange that they somehow have inventories that you can access despite not having any harnesses with packs or anything.

I think there's only 1 game that I know of that tries to be semi realistic with inventory and such and that's ECO, It's still in development but it's the only game where you shovel a pile of dirt or something and have to put it somewhere (either in a chest, cart or place it down again) before you can dig again, meaning that if you go mining, you need to bring ore and materials up one shovel load at a time until you get a cart or something to haul more.

51 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Of course in ARK there is a penalty for trying to carry too much and you start to move slower at something like 75% capacity and then are unable to move at all when you've maxed out the amount you can carry.

Of course. But the leveling produces very unrealistic range of carry capacity, doesn't it?

51 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I think there's only 1 game that I know of that tries to be semi realistic with inventory and such and that's ECO, It's still in development but it's the only game where you shovel a pile of dirt or something and have to put it somewhere (either in a chest, cart or place it down again) before you can dig again, meaning that if you go mining, you need to bring ore and materials up one shovel load at a time until you get a cart or something to haul more.

I'm not surprised. Most players prefer games which are fun before games which are realistic. I wasn't complaining.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Of course. But the leveling produces very unrealistic range of carry capacity, doesn't it?

I'm not surprised. Most players prefer games which are fun before games which are realistic. I wasn't complaining.

Yeah, the main reason games let you carry so much is so that they don't feel grindy, though some people may argue that they can still be grindy even if you can carry 50x the realistic amount of stuff. ECO though claims to be trying to simulate an ecosystem but still be presented in a simple enough manner, but it's certainly a game that needs patience and teamwork.

37 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Yeah, the main reason games let you carry so much is so that they don't feel grindy

In some games, realistic carrying capacity would force you to do lot of boring walks just to carry stuff. In many, however, you CAN'T actually return, meaning if you don't put everything into inventory you will lose the items forever.

39 minutes ago, Scotty said:

though some people may argue that they can still be grindy even if you can carry 50x the realistic amount of stuff.

Well, most games feel repetitive simply because if everything would only appear once you will have the game finished in two hours.

45 minutes ago, Scotty said:

ECO though claims to be trying to simulate an ecosystem but still be presented in a simple enough manner, but it's certainly a game that needs patience and teamwork.

And I though building something worthy in minecraft needs patience. Compared to this ... why those people don't do something less boring instead of playing this, like factory work? :)

10 hours ago, hkmaly said:

People have complained about games that try to be realistic not being realistic. On the points that they were more realistic then other games. IIRC there is even a tv tropes page. 

3 hours ago, Sjmcc13 said:

People have complained about games that try to be realistic not being realistic. On the points that they were more realistic then other games.

Sounds rather similar in principle to Uncanny Valley.

On the one hand, The Sims would be pointless if every action took the same amount of time as it would in real life.  It's much more fun when things that should take hours, weeks, or years are completed in minutes to days instead.  On the other hand, it's really annoying when an action you know would only take a few minutes, or even seconds, in real life, is scheduled such that it takes 12 or even 24 hours to complete.  We don't mind when a game (or reality) is unfair as long as it's unfair in our favor!

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

Sounds rather similar in principle to Uncanny Valley.

Some of it yes, for graphics. But complaints come in for more then just that. people complain about every aspect that they think should be different. 

Research how long a weapon actually takes to re-load, to slow. Study the jamming rates, they occur to often. (both are examples of complaints from the same game)

Once people are conditioned to expect a lie, they reject the truth. 

But people complain that unrealistic things are the more real all the time elsewhere, back when the Nanny was on the air they use to get fan mail saying the guy playing the father/boss/love interest (who is from England, and apparently a member of the Aristocracy) did not have a proper accent, and should take lessons from the guy playing the butler (he is from Arkansas). There are similar complaints about Tracer's accent (guess what country the voice actress is from). 

Just now, CritterKeeper said:

On the one hand, The Sims would be pointless if every action took the same amount of time as it would in real life.  It's much more fun when things that should take hours, weeks, or years are completed in minutes to days instead.  On the other hand, it's really annoying when an action you know would only take a few minutes, or even seconds, in real life, is scheduled such that it takes 12 or even 24 hours to complete.  We don't mind when a game (or reality) is unfair as long as it's unfair in our favor!

Yeah, I've played The Sims, 1-3 and various expansions of each and the fact that it takes an hour for a sim to walk to the bathroom and use a toilet can be ridiculous. ;)

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Yeah, I've played The Sims, 1-3 and various expansions of each and the fact that it takes an hour for a sim to walk to the bathroom and use a toilet can be ridiculous. ;)

Actually, I've known people like that...

11 hours ago, Sjmcc13 said:
21 hours ago, hkmaly said:

People have complained about games that try to be realistic not being realistic. On the points that they were more realistic then other games.

Wouldn't be only case when people complained about something stating different reason that the true one.

6 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

We don't mind when a game (or reality) is unfair as long as it's unfair in our favor!

Yup. Well, "don't mind" might be overstatement, but we can take it much better.

(I already complained in one game that the enemy is too weak. I probably wouldn't if I didn't expected it will be easy to beat even after fix.)

16 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

On the one hand, The Sims would be pointless if every action took the same amount of time as it would in real life.

Only semi-related rant follows.

Stop calling games "Real Time Strategy" games when they are obviously not Real Time,  but in fact very much accelerated time.