• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

NP Monday March 20, 2017

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I am still waiting for someone to introduce a second person shooter.

That's any "first person shooter" where some or all of the enemies can shoot back.

To be strictly true to the idea, though, you'd have to be unable to shoot at them.

Just now, Don Edwards said:

That's any "first person shooter" where some or all of the enemies can shoot back.

To be strictly true to the idea, though, you'd have to be unable to shoot at them.

No no. A second person shooter is a game where all you do is look directly at the face of the person doing the shooting. He runs around looking grim and shoots a lot and you can hear explosions and screaming in the background.

A first person shooter has the camera of the shooter's eyes and control of the shooter.

A third person shooter has the camera on the scene and control of the shooter.

A second person shooter would logically have the camera of the victim's eyes and control of the shooter.  Basically you have no control of your own actions but are mind-controlling another person to shoot you.

Could have some interesting plot background…

2 hours ago, HarJIT said:

A first person shooter has the camera of the shooter's eyes and control of the shooter.

A second person shooter would logically have the camera of the victim's eyes and control of the shooter.  Basically you have no control of your own actions but are mind-controlling another person to shoot you.

It sounds a little bit like the awful Mindjack game. However, its plot made even less sense than the above.

I forget the name of the game, but there's a horror game that lets you temporarily see what nearby monsters see, so you can know when it's safe to come out of hiding or need to find another hiding spot.

24 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
2 hours ago, HarJIT said:

It sounds a little bit like the awful Mindjack game. However, its plot made even less sense than the above.

In the game "Battletoads" the first boss is fought from the perspective of the boss (a giant mecha thing) shooting at the players and you controling the Battletoads throwing stuff towards the screen to damage and as you damaged the boss, cracks and such would appear on the screen to show your progress. For the rest of the game its a pretty standard side-scroller brawler like Double Dragon or Final Fight.

Second person perspectives seem to cover games like text-based or point and click adventures where there's a narration describing what your character does. I would imagine games like "The Stanley Parable" would fit as a second person game as well, at least until you start defying the narrator. It also seems to imply that the second person is someone holding the camera as you play, especially in games where you can move the camera around to look at stuff, one example I found was Lakitu in Super Mario 64 being the camera operator and second person.

3 hours ago, Drasvin said:

I forget the name of the game, but there's a horror game that lets you temporarily see what nearby monsters see, so you can know when it's safe to come out of hiding or need to find another hiding spot.

I think this qualifies best.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Second person perspectives seem to cover games like text-based or point and click adventures where there's a narration describing what your character does. I would imagine games like "The Stanley Parable" would fit as a second person game as well, at least until you start defying the narrator. It also seems to imply that the second person is someone holding the camera as you play, especially in games where you can move the camera around to look at stuff, one example I found was Lakitu in Super Mario 64 being the camera operator and second person.

That would be third person, IMHO. Unless you are shooting them.

17 hours ago, mlooney said:

Only semi-related rant follows.

Stop calling games "Real Time Strategy" games when they are obviously not Real Time,  but in fact very much accelerated time.

In practical terms, "real time" in games means that the timer (and the action) never stops during play--that is, you can't perform any actions in-game while the clock is paused (or you can't pause it at all), as opposed to those games where you can pause the action and adjust your assets and then restart, or to turn-based games.

32 minutes ago, ijuin said:

In practical terms, "real time" in games means that the timer (and the action) never stops during play--that is, you can't perform any actions in-game while the clock is paused (or you can't pause it at all), as opposed to those games where you can pause the action and adjust your assets and then restart, or to turn-based games.

It's especially true during multiplayer sessions. For Starcraft, you can set the game speed when you create the session and can't pause it or change speed so you have true real time play. Of course in single player campaigns or against AI player you may be able to pause and adjust speed at will, so is becomes a pseudo-RTS.

Though back when I used to play Starcraft+Brood War, there was a friend that had AOL so games tended to be more Lag Time Strategy than Real Time Strategy. :)

19 hours ago, ijuin said:

I'm pretty sure the term "real time" is direct opposite of "turn-based" and existence of pause doesn't have anything to do with it.

On 3/22/2017 at 2:35 PM, Drasvin said:

This was used to excellent effect in a recent Doctor Who episode, "Hell Bent"....

Don't Panic.  If you can't see the monster, the monster can't see you.*

*The preceding advice is not guaranteed to be effective against any monster other than the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal

The Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
A rather large creature that likes to eat things.
The Ravenous Bugblatter Beast is so mind-bogglingly stupid that it thinks that if you can't see it, it can't see you. Therefore, the best defense against a Bugblatter Beast is to wrap a towel around your head.

http://hhgproject.org/entries/ravenousbugblatterbeast.html

24 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Don't Panic.  If you can't see the monster, the monster can't see you.*

*The preceding advice is not guaranteed to be effective against any monster other than the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal

The Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
A rather large creature that likes to eat things.
The Ravenous Bugblatter Beast is so mind-bogglingly stupid that it thinks that if you can't see it, it can't see you. Therefore, the best defense against a Bugblatter Beast is to wrap a towel around your head.

http://hhgproject.org/entries/ravenousbugblatterbeast.html

Daft as a brush but very, very dangerous.

Then there's the Vegetarian Bugblatter Beast of Traal, which one might think would be less dangerous.  However, they have a tendency to stomp on intruders until they are a fine paste and then use them as fertilizer, so....

(I think my sister came up with this one, but I am not 100% certain of that. )

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Then there's the Vegetarian Bugblatter Beast of Traal, which one might think would be less dangerous.  However, they have a tendency to stomp on intruders until they are a fine paste and then use them as fertilizer, so....

(I think my sister came up with this one, but I am not 100% certain of that. )

I think I read about some herbivorous monster using this tactic before, but maybe I'm just mixing it with the fact that hippos, herbivorous, are the most dangerous animal in Africa (well, large animal. I suppose malaria is worse).