• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

Pinup Magical Girl Tedd March 23 2017

Just now, Vorlonagent said:

Don't most magical girls go for lighter colors?  Pinks and powder-blues?

Tedd might have asked Sarah what she thought would look best with purple hair.

Wearing a sports bra over a camisole?

Superheroes in general seem to have problems with the idea of underwear.

(And, seriously, a cape? Capes get superheroes killed.)

18 minutes ago, HarJIT said:

No capes!

All the examples given in that clip were of full length capes though, I don't think Tedd has anything to worry about with the short cape. We haven't see Elliot have any issues with Cheerleadra's short cape.

3 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

Don't most magical girls go for lighter colors?  Pinks and powder-blues?

As you wish

CcMe0Ik.png

32 minutes ago, HarJIT said:

As you wish

CcMe0Ik.png

Good job and thanks.  I'm a little disappointed with the results, however, which is no reflection on you, HarJIT..  The result is a little...blander...that I might have wished just thinking about it.

3 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

Good job and thanks.  I'm a little disappointed with the results, however, which is no reflection on you, HarJIT..  The result is a little...blander...that I might have wished just thinking about it.

Bit more vivid:

g8Lgal6.jpg

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

Her skirt may be shorter than Cheerleadra's. 

Well, I think that Elliot tried to make the skirt longer, while Tedd tried to make it shorter :)

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

All the examples given in that clip were of full length capes though, I don't think Tedd has anything to worry about with the short cape. We haven't see Elliot have any issues with Cheerleadra's short cape.

Not only full length, they actually looked long enough to touch ground AND pretty elastic AND very firm.

Not only would short capes be safer, you can also make it so if the villain attach it to something it will simply get torn. You can use the same material which is used for girl clothes in manga :)

Also ... Tedd is not going to do so much actual superhero stuff in it, she's only posing.

25 minutes ago, HarJIT said:

Bit more vivid:

g8Lgal6.jpg

I must admit this looks much more like magical girl.

25 minutes ago, HarJIT said:

Bit more vivid:

g8Lgal6.jpg

THAT, I like. 

I was thinking substituting a light blue for the pink to get some contrasting colors in there, but turning up the contrast itself certainly works. We definitely get a greater sense of energy and movement.  It also helps that you use a pinker shade of pink as well.  I especially like the yellow cape.  I think that's a definite step up from the olive-brown color Dan used in the official version.  The deeper yellow and contrast make it stand out better.

Thanks for making these.  I appreciate both of them. 

You did a great job with the shading too.  How did you do that?. The shading I did for my Rhoda and Amanda redo is dreadful by comparison.

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

You did a great job with the shading too.  How did you do that?. The shading I did for my Rhoda and Amanda redo is dreadful by comparison.

Sorry if I'm mistaken, but it looks like original shading to me. Like, same image, just some filter applied at colors. The yellow cape will actually be sideefect.

9 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

My own favorite outfit for a standard "flying brick" needs a cape -- and a clunky, clumsily-draped, full-length one at that. It converts into a stretcher by way of poles in the lining and a handle for use in flight.

20 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

You did a great job with the shading too.  How did you do that?. The shading I did for my Rhoda and Amanda redo is dreadful by comparison

As hkmaly suggests, the trick is basically to preserve Dan's shading as far as possible whist still attaining the desired colouration and brightness.

Mainly, this amounts to significantly limiting operations on the value channel to those which don't affect the shading (applying levels/curves/gamma/contrast/etc to specific regions (usually not the entire image) is generally fine, provided this is done in such a way that it doesn't noticeably mess up the region border).

The hue and sat channels are a different matter, and can even be region-floodfilled, although I didn't have to resort to that here (I do when I'm e.g. colourising from greyscale though).

My first version basically made the hair and attire lighter in colour.  The second shifted the focus to contrast and saturation, thus increasing brightness rather than simply lightness.  The final effect on the second version was to take something closer to the first version, use the levels tool to extract only the highlights, blur the result significantly and then use it as an additive layer, with a certain tuned alpha, above what I had so far for the second image.  This gives the image an additional subtle glow.

Use of waifu2x beforehand is also very helpful, mainly because it makes selecting regions a lot less fiddly.

On 3/23/2017 at 4:26 PM, Don Edwards said:

I personally like breakaway capes, designed to tear off easily - all of the imagery, none of the danger.

23 hours ago, Haylo said:
On 03/23/2017 at 9:26 PM, Don Edwards said:

My own favorite outfit for a standard "flying brick" needs a cape -- and a clunky, clumsily-draped, full-length one at that. It converts into a stretcher by way of poles in the lining and a handle for use in flight.

This reminds me another reason why to have a cape ... although I'm not sure it can be described as wearing one.

30 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

This reminds me another reason why to have a cape ... although I'm not sure it can be described as wearing one.

Not sure if that's an actual cape, it appears to be part of that person's body.

Exactly. But it LOOKS like one ...

There is similar girl here (14:08 ... how can you make those links which send you in middle of video?)

30 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Also fixed your link. ;)

Ups. Fixed.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

Exactly. But it LOOKS like one ...

There is similar girl here (14:08 ... how can you make those links which send you in middle of video?)

There's a "share" link for posting the video on social media and such with a "start at" option to set the time, usually set it a few seconds before the intended moment though.

Also Canada's blocked by funimation. :(