• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

NP: Monday March 27, 2017

8 hours ago, ijuin said:

Yes, but sapient beings capable of perfectly imitating another person's voice print sufficiently to fool a starship's main computer are presumably rare enough that Starfleet never thought that it would be a security issue. Of course, this was before the Federation encountered The Founders . . .

A different issue would be either loss of or damage to one's voice, potentially locking the actually authorised person out.

6 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
15 hours ago, ijuin said:

Yes, but sapient beings capable of perfectly imitating another person's voice print sufficiently to fool a starship's main computer are presumably rare enough that Starfleet never thought that it would be a security issue. Of course, this was before the Federation encountered The Founders . . .

A different issue would be either loss of or damage to one's voice, potentially locking the actually authorised person out.

Or what if authorised person mutates into different species? Or does this only happen on Enterprise and Voyager?

Also, it's not like Data was surprise to them. He spent four years on academy ; were they not able to develop ANY countermeasure in that time?

15 hours ago, ijuin said:

On Enterprise-era control consoles looking more complex than TOS-era ones, consider the comparison between the controls for a steam locomotive and an electric locomotive. The steam engine has various gauges for temperature, pressure, water level, oil pressure, etc., and a bunch of levers to control it all. The electric engine meanwhile has a throttle, a brake, a speedometer, and a few diagnostic lights, making the control scheme much simpler despite being more advanced technology than the steam engine.

It's not about complexity. TOS-era consoles have almost no displays. Most of space is covered by buttons, switches etc.

To quote from the book (took me some time to get google display it ...):

The anti-hijacking countermeasure's newest analog design features looked to have been all but infallible, from the non-networked bridge computers that incorporated archaic tape drives instead of redundant memory modules, to the new system of prearranged prefix codes. They had even used decidedly nondigital data displays that resembled the mechanical mileage readouts that Dax's first host, Lela, remembered seeing on the control panels of century-old Trill ground cars.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Or what if authorised person mutates into different species? Or does this only happen on Enterprise and Voyager?

I don't recall it happening in DS9, but I think it happened once or twice in TNG. And it happened in TOS as well if spontaneously turning into a god counts as mutating into a different species. (There might have been other cases, but I am not an expert on TOS so I can't say for sure.)

16 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I don't recall it happening in DS9, but I think it happened once or twice in TNG. And it happened in TOS as well if spontaneously turning into a god counts as mutating into a different species. (There might have been other cases, but I am not an expert on TOS so I can't say for sure.)

I meant the ships, so NX-01, NCC 1701 and NCC 1701-D all counts (didn't realized it could be understood as the series - I would use "in" in such case).

I'm just reading Redshirts, so question if stuff like that happens only on those few ships or if other ships in starfleet have similar sort of accidents despite not being shown in the series is pretty logical.

13 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I meant the ships, so NX-01, NCC 1701 and NCC 1701-D all counts (didn't realized it could be understood as the series - I would use "in" in such case).

I'm just reading Redshirts, so question if stuff like that happens only on those few ships or if other ships in starfleet have similar sort of accidents despite not being shown in the series is pretty logical.

Redshirts is an excellent book. Not quite what I expected but a good read nonetheless.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Redshirts is an excellent book. Not quite what I expected but a good read nonetheless.

It's in my stack.  No, you don't want to know how tall the stack is (or would be if half of it weren't virtual).

58 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

It's in my stack.  No, you don't want to know how tall the stack is (or would be if half of it weren't virtual).

Considering the weather in upper layers of atmosphere, I think virtual stacks are much better for the books involved.