• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
ProfessorTomoe

Story: Monday, March 27, 2017

In Elliot's defense if he's going to think he was being a bigoted jerk with his comment the first time he saw Tedd as a girl, he wasn't anywhere near as harsh as some others have and could be.

Grace is probably going to make a point somewhere along the lines of Elliot giving a knee jerk reaction at first but over time gaining an understanding and acceptance of Tedd's behaviour which there's recent proof of. Basically the people making the comments don't really know the people they're making comments about so those comments shouldn't be taken seriously.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Basically the people making the comments don't really know the people they're making comments about so those comments shouldn't be taken seriously.

Unfortunately, that doesn't keep the comments from being hurtful.

I personally expect Grace's point to be that people can learn. The hope that this is so is what keeps me going.

Yeah, pretty much the initial reaction by anybody who has zero experience with gender-variant people outside of what the media reports would be "WTF?!"

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

In Elliot's defense if he's going to think he was being a bigoted jerk with his comment the first time he saw Tedd as a girl, he wasn't anywhere near as harsh as some others have and could be.

Yeah; Elliot didn't use ANY hmm... vulgar terms? And he directly asked Tedd, unlike the guys on the Internet with highly ironic avatars.

Just now, The Old Hack said:

I personally expect Grace's point to be that people can learn. The hope that this is so is what keeps me going.

The key thing though, is interaction. In the case of Elliot and Tedd, ever since that first time, Elliot has been in the presence of f!Tedd numerous times. another instance would be Grace's birthday when Elliot found f!Tedd in an apron having finished baking Grace's cake and Elliot having a tough time understanding why Tedd would need to be female to do that. The concept of f!Tedd was still new to Elliot so he didn't know what to think of it. As time passed and especially after Elliot started having to spend time as a female as well, Elliot grew accustomed to f!Tedd and obviously at some point (likely during the 6 month time skip) Elliot realized that there's more to why Tedd likes being in female forms and that Tedd isn't hurting anyone by doing so and Tedd isn't doing it because of some fetish. On a similar scale stuff like that's happened on these forums, where we all talk about the stuff that interests us, stuff that bothers us, etc, we're learning about what makes each other tick. Sure, we may get the occasional person that joins and wants to cause trouble but we had diligent moderators to help keep the peace.

Youtube comments are a trickier beast though, moderators rarely step in unless it's something particularly grievous like death threats or something, though it usually takes many complaints to get something done about it, so you get a large number of people that post BS to stir up trouble, cause flame wars or just get attention for themselves. Despite the fact that Elliot said numerous times in review show videos that he had a girlfriend that wasn't Susan, there were very likely people posting about him and Susan anyway, also they didn't have to do the video with them mentioning Elliot and Sarah's breakup either, and chances are there's be some people posting speculation about why Elliot stopped talking about his girlfriend. If Elliot and Susan did another show addressing the rumour that Elliot was gay, heck if Elliot and Susan address any rumours on their show, it would not stop people posting them in the comments. The hope would be that it would at least minimize the number of people jumping on those types of bandwagons.

I forget which Youtuber it was, might have been CaptainSparkles or one of the Yogscast, but a few years back I remember there being a flamewar in comments where a person posted about something hurtful about the youtuber and then a few others jumped on agreeing with the original poster and they would all attack anyone who tried to defend the youtuber or call the original poster out on lying about what they said. It turned out that the original poster had created several alt accounts and was trying to make his original post look credible, the only reason it failed was because the poster goofed and didn't switch accounts when they wanted to make it look like one account was responding to another.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

The key thing though, is interaction. In the case of Elliot and Tedd, ever since that first time, Elliot has been in the presence of f!Tedd numerous times. another instance would be Grace's birthday when Elliot found f!Tedd in an apron having finished baking Grace's cake and Elliot having a tough time understanding why Tedd would need to be female to do that. The concept of f!Tedd was still new to Elliot so he didn't know what to think of it.

The "Because he's Tedd" explanation that Elliot gave to Ellen in http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=673 probably indicates that both Elliot and Ellen are accustomed to the "Tedd likes to wear female forms" idea by this point, though Elliot couldn't understand what cooking had to do with being female precisely because he knew that gender stereotypes such as cooking mean bullcrap when talking about a person who can change between male and female bodies on demand.

1 hour ago, Drachefly said:

Interesting that Grace knew about that. I wonder what form of conversation that was, and what else Tedd was expressing.

What makes you think she KNOWS? She may just guessed correctly.

10 minutes ago, ijuin said:
1 hour ago, Scotty said:

The key thing though, is interaction. In the case of Elliot and Tedd, ever since that first time, Elliot has been in the presence of f!Tedd numerous times. another instance would be Grace's birthday when Elliot found f!Tedd in an apron having finished baking Grace's cake and Elliot having a tough time understanding why Tedd would need to be female to do that. The concept of f!Tedd was still new to Elliot so he didn't know what to think of it.

The "Because he's Tedd" explanation that Elliot gave to Ellen in http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=673 probably indicates that both Elliot and Ellen are accustomed to the "Tedd likes to wear female forms" idea by this point, though Elliot couldn't understand what cooking had to do with being female precisely because he knew that gender stereotypes such as cooking mean bullcrap when talking about a person who can change between male and female bodies on demand.

Hmmmm ... well it was something over one month, so there was likely some interaction between them we didn't see ... and possibly some event which helped Grace guess the initial reaction, because she doesn't seem to pay attention in the apron case.

15 hours ago, Scotty said:

Elliot realized that there's more to why Tedd likes being in female forms and that Tedd isn't hurting anyone by doing so and Tedd isn't doing it because of some fetish.

You know, I find it interesting that so many people, in comic and in forum, feel the need to specifically hold up "some fetish" in contexts that make it sound like having a fetish or acting on it is a bad thing.  Like Tedd would be a bad person if he were turning into a girl because of a fetish.  Human sexuality is incredibly diverse, and I see no reason we shouldn't just stop at "he's not hurting anyone" and avoid the implication that people with fetishes are somehow inherently bad.

4 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

You know, I find it interesting that so many people, in comic and in forum, feel the need to specifically hold up "some fetish" in contexts that make it sound like having a fetish or acting on it is a bad thing.  Like Tedd would be a bad person if he were turning into a girl because of a fetish.  Human sexuality is incredibly diverse, and I see no reason we shouldn't just stop at "he's not hurting anyone" and avoid the implication that people with fetishes are somehow inherently bad.

I always assumed that it was because they had a fetish about calling things fetishes.

52 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

I wasn't trying to imply that fetishes were bad, but there's a novelty in doing things that are considered risque and taboo to society. Early on in the comic, Tedd's behaviour gave everyone the impression that he transformed into females forms because of the novelty of it, and it wasn't until later during Grace's birthday that the reader started to see that maybe there's more to why Tedd does it than just for fun, and the card tourney confirmed it, Elliot probably came to a similar conclusion, though maybe not knowing exactly what it was, at some point as well that what Tedd does isn't just for fun.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:

I wasn't trying to imply that fetishes were bad, but there's a novelty in doing things that are considered risque and taboo to society.

... are you implying fetishes can't last?

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

It's not much different than anything else that a person can take interest in. It certainly depends on the person though, some may always get enjoyment out of something, but others after a while might decide it's not doing it for them anymore and look for something new. Also, if something like BDSM became widely accepted by society, is it still considered a fetish, or a recreational hobby?

7 minutes ago, Scotty said:
18 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

It's not much different than anything else that a person can take interest in. It certainly depends on the person though, some may always get enjoyment out of something, but others after a while might decide it's not doing it for them anymore and look for something new.

I don't think I stopped enjoying anything I used to enjoy. Although it's true that there are things I abandoned for something with higher ratio of enjoyment to time.  Like, most of TV. Or westerns.

9 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Also, if something like BDSM became widely accepted by society, is it still considered a fetish, or a recreational hobby?

Why not both?

(Also, I'm pretty sure BDSM as term was deliberately widened to raise society acceptance to some more extreme parts of it. That, or the BDSM scope is more slippery than I though.)

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Mine are staying on and showing no signs of leaving.  I'd like to figure out how to charge them rent.

Yes, Jeremy.

The true star of the story can, with naught but a well placed "Merow", turn the narrative in any desired direction along all axis of space-time.

His impeccable timing and commanding voice reminds me of T.S. Elliot's Gus, the Theatre Cat.

At least, Gus as he claims he was back in the day.