• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Story: Monday April 3, 2017

http://www.egscomics.com/?id=2330

I was going to say that whoever that is guarding the place is wrong about Pandora being a mortal, but then Dan tweeted that he used the wrong word so there goes that.

Also:

I'm tempted to buy a lottery ticket now, but it was probably a fluke that I got this, I'll settle for cookies. :D

Edit: Oh wait, is it supposed to be "themself" instead of "themselves", maybe "mortal" was intentional?

Two huge snakes and the ugly but beefier Sphinx. The gods have seen better days.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Oh wait, is it supposed to be "themself" instead of "themselves", maybe "mortal" was intentional?

No. Yes. This guardian has seen too many mortals seeking, and forgot about immortals.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I'm tempted to buy a lottery ticket now, but it was probably a fluke that I got this, I'll settle for cookies. :D

Your good, but that "on time" answer was also funny - AND correct I suppose.

26 minutes ago, Stature said:
1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Oh wait, is it supposed to be "themself" instead of "themselves", maybe "mortal" was intentional?

No. Yes. This guardian has seen too many mortals seeking, and forgot about immortals.

I'm looking forward  to his reaction when he notices his error.

Dan said:

Incidentally, if you're not from the USA and are writing a story that takes place over here, the most culturally sensitive representation you can give us is, obviously, cowboys at a cattle ranch. That's basically what we're all like over here.

I know for sure that's not true. There is also that french girl with book in harbor, some skyscrapers (two less than 16 years ago) and big letters HOLLYWOOD. And the famous Mountains of Illinois (warning, tvtropes link). And some waterfall, unless that's in Canada.

(I hope it's obvious I'm not seriously thinking that's all.)

Maybe the big guy is "Set". Set was associated with snakes, among other creatures. However, for knowledge, the go-to god was Thoth, usually depicted with the head of an ibis. Set was basically the god of kicking butt. Several pharaohs took Set names, including the father of Ramses the Great.

The snakes ought to be cobras, though. Pharaohs had cobras on their crowns.

Just now, hkmaly said:

And some waterfall, unless that's in Canada.

The Horseshoe Falls are Canadian and are the more well known ones, though I'll admit after having taken the Hornblower boat ride (formerly the Maid of the Mist), seeing the American Falls up close was quite impressive too.

Big doesn't impress Pandora. When she met the Emissary, he also loomed over Pandora. And snakes, even giant snakes, are very small potatoes compared to Pandora in full Chaos mode.

Wow, that place has certainly gone downhill since I moved out.

Pandora could have looked this up at the Library in Egypt.  If not for the Ptolemy's idiotic policy of recording everything on paper rather than stone tablets as we did for several millennia previously.  It is like they were asking someone to burn the place.

45 minutes ago, Scotty said:

seeing the American Falls up close was quite impressive

Enjoy it while you can.  As soon as the main channel of the river over the Horseshoe Falls erodes far enough up stream, the American falls will go dry and Goat Island will become Goat Peninsula.  You only have a few thousand years, so take some pictures.

Papyrus wasn't just an affectation of the Ptolemys; it was in use during the First Dynasty, before the pyramids were built. Stone tablets were never used for general record keeping outside of the Flintstones. It was a big export in the classical age. A huge library of papyrus scrolls has been discovered in Pompeii, and we can actually read parts of them.

Way more convenient than clay tablets.

23 minutes ago, mlooney said:

The EGS universe just took a turn for the weird.

1 minute ago, The Old Hack said:

That was a long time ago. Someone ought to have warned Dan that you have to watch yourself, going through Albuquerque.

I think EGS took the turn for the weird with the phrase "Oh, and in case you can't tell, Tedd's a guy."

Next page, poof Ancient Egyptian themed ultra nerd Immortal..

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Wow, that place has certainly gone downhill since I moved out.

Did you ever spend much time in the basement in the first place?

27 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I hate to see your definition of Normal if EGs is just taking a turn tot he weird instead of on page 8 

59 minutes ago, Sjmcc13 said:

I hate to see your definition of Normal

Have you read my sig?  Almost nothing about me is normal.

Well, OK, "aging, right of center, straight, cis, white male" could be normal.

7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Pandora could have looked this up at the Library in Egypt.  If not for the Ptolemy's idiotic policy of recording everything on paper rather than stone tablets as we did for several millennia previously.  It is like they were asking someone to burn the place.

Do we really know that the Great Library was destroyed and not actually moved or even hidden by elaborate illusions? Remember Jerry hid the cave containing the hammer artifact from the common person. A number of Immortals, or maybe someone or something more powerful, could have hid the Great Library and made it look like it had been destroyed?

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Do we really know that the Great Library was destroyed and not actually moved or even hidden by elaborate illusions?

The library was destroyed.

It was not moved.  It is not hidden by illusions.  I do not have keys to the secret archive stacks in Alexandria, VA.  I certainly do hot have VIP access to the transplanted Reading Room in Reading, PA.

1 minute ago, Don Edwards said:

But it turns out that the Library of Alexandria was just an annex/entrance to the real Library, which exists in its own pocket universe accessible from Wapsi Square.

I'm half expecting the being before Pandora to turn out to be Noah Wyle or John Larroquette.

Though I totally wouldn't be surprised if it was another Immortal and this form is something they like to use to greet visitors. This does go back to the theory that some Immortals vowed to maintain all knowledge in some form or another.

7 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

That was a long time ago. Someone ought to have warned Dan that you have to watch yourself, going through Albuquerque.

I think EGS took the turn for the weird with the phrase "Oh, and in case you can't tell, Tedd's a guy."

How can you take turn for the weird if weird was the direction you headed since the start? Unless it's 360° turn.

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

You only have a few thousand years, so take some pictures.

Digital pictures. Analog won't last.

27 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

It was not moved.  It is not hidden by illusions.  I do not have keys to the secret archive stacks in Alexandria, VA.  I certainly do hot have VIP access to the transplanted Reading Room in Reading, PA.

Did it ever occurred to you that your high priests might not always be sincere to you?

4 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
7 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

How can you take turn for the weird if weird was the direction you headed since the start? Unless it's 360° turn.

Dan addressed it in the last Q&A too.

23 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
23 hours ago, mlooney said:

I knew Dan should have made that left turn in Albuquerque.  I don't think it really got weird for me until I fully thought about the existence of Magic and Aliens.  That was a weird for me.  Because somewhere there could be another alien race with it's own wizards, and it's possibly it's own versions of immortals and aberrations.

It's been steps along the way, each building up the weirdness, transformation technology, Grace, Magic having a mind of its own, etc.  Of course, some of my favorite things are great examples of Weirdness, like Buckaroo Banzai, Big Trouble in Little China and Samurai Jack.  So when it got weird, often that was just another cool stop on this funky road trip that is EGS.

We are all fans of the weird, otherwise we wouldn't be here.  But at some point in the story line, you were probably, went, "Whoa, that's weird!"  So, when did EGS get a little weird for you?

20 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Digital pictures. Analog won't last.

Did it ever occurred to you that your high priests might not always be sincere to you?

Good points, all three, but each requires at least one caveat.

"Weird" is always relative. Here along the periphery of San Francisco Bay, gender fluidity stands out about as much as whole wheat bread vs. white.

Actually analog is still much more durable than digital. We can still read five thousand year old papyrus scrolls, but optical disks, hard drives, and flash drives all degrade in no more than a few years. Reliance on digital storage and communication makes our entire civilization vulnerable to electromagnetic pulse which could come from a few high-altitude nukes or a big solar flare. "The cloud" is just an abstract concept; it's really just a collection of physical media utterly dependent on electromagnetic communication, particularly satellites. If you haven't seen Gravity yet, the disaster that knocks out all of the satellites in it isn't a fantasy, it's a real worry. And it doesn't take nukes to cause it. There's so much junk floating in near-Earth space now, collisions aren't uncommon at all. We could lose the ability to keep satellites up for decades. No more GPS; say sayonara to Pokemon Go, Google Maps, and self-driving cars.

As for high priests, we still got 'em and they can cause a remarkable amount of trouble (crusades, inquisitions, jihads, etc). But EGS has steered pretty clear of religion and its controversies and I think it's an excellent idea for this forum to do the same. For those of you who would like webcomics that don't steer clear, may I suggest With Fetus, Dumbing of Age, and Sinfest.