• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

Double, Elliot and Susan. April 2, 2017

On 4/4/2017 at 0:29 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I find this recent experiment with lipstick on Susan to be disturbing.

I find the other experiments with lipstick on to be disconcerting.

Considering this is their review show on-going, someone either dumped a bucket of tea or swapped their drinks.

On 04/03/2017 at 8:40 PM, mlooney said:

So, we all agree.  "Taps wine glass, clears throat" 

Ah, say, The Dan? 

Yeah, a little less lip stick on Susan, please?  Makes us all confused and stuff.

The Dan is running a poll on, wait for it, lipstick in general.  Yeah, The Dan lurks here.

12 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I am "very no" on lipstick. Just doesn't strike me as a good thing.

I would say that, but between Liz, Goth Ashley, Goth Elliot and, of course, Mall!Goth Elliot there are too many to just go with a blanket no.  Goths don't look right with out their makeup.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

I would say that, but between Liz, Goth Ashley, Goth Elliot and, of course, Mall!Goth Elliot there are too many to just go with a blanket no.  Goths don't look right with out their makeup.

when appropriate and done well lipstick and makeup in general are a fine addition, Though I have seen to many teenage girls who go overboard and do not do a good job of it. 

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

The Dan is running a poll on, wait for it, lipstick in general.  Yeah, The Dan lurks here.

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

It's possible that he also noticed people discussing it on Patreon, Twitter and Facebook, I really hate that there's soo many ways Dan could learn about stuff the fans talk about as I too would want Dan reading the forums to be true, but him no longer endorsing the forums on the comic site makes it difficult to keep my hopes up.

Also I too originally said "no" but changed to "indifferent", I also noticed that the only issue with the lipstick seems to come from it's use on Susan only, the first pinup that had characters with lipstick I think was 40's Pinup Ellen, doesn't look like anyone noticed or had an issue with the lipstick on either Patreon or our forums.

After that, we have  Heidi and Carol's live makeout, and it doesn't seem like anyone even noticed Heidi and Carol were wearing lipstick, even our forum thread mentions it. Next is Rental Guard Tensaided, there's lipstick, but no comments on Patreon about it, nor in our forums.

Magical Girl Tedd didn't have many comments on Patreon, but our forums seemed to focus more on the cape and general colour palette than anything else, no mention of lipstick.

Mall-Goth Elliot fusion understandably didn't attract any negative attention, but I still didn't see anyone mention lipstick on Patreon and our forums seemed to run on several tangents that included malls and brick and mortar retail still being viable, what Mall girls Elliot's official name should be, and me being utterly confused by a glitch in one of mlooney's posts. ;)

Moo News is Good News, both Sarah and Carol have lipstick, no mention on patreon, not much discussion on our forums either, no mention of the lipstick in what's there though.

Now we have Rental Guard Level 2, Not many comments on Patreon, but one of those did mention the lipstick as well as the hair making Susan not recognizable, our forums seemed to echo that sentiment that Susan didn't look like Susan at all, it wasn't just the lipstick though, but the hair and overall form that didn't fit her character despite the fact that this was a non canon transformation, I still think the hair shouldn't matter too much because Susan was naturally blonde so it does make sense for a pinup to utilize that aspect of her at some point. It's like chekov's gun, you can't just say she was once blonde and not show it occasionally, and the angst induced awakening making her dark blue colour permanent can't just wash away that either.

That brings us to the current thread that seems to have everyone up in arms, even the patreon entry has numerous comments about the lipstick, one post in particular may have been a catalyst for Dan creating the poll as he responded to the comment albeit in more of a moderator capacity rather than responding to the criticism itself. As for me, I still think of this pinup as Elliot's spell working like the Tea in that it not only changes their forms, but also their clothes and adds the makeup as well, it could also work like Elliot's secret identities in that it has a mind altering affect that makes Susan and Elliot more playful.

Some pinups can make us wonder if they could be canon, some don't, this one definitely doesn't look like it could be canon, but it still seems unfair to say that Dan should stop drawing a certain way just because people don't like how it looks on one character.

Edit: For the record, I did come across a version of this where someone had removed Susan's makup, and honestly I didn't consider it an improvement. I can't link the image because the person also removed Susan's shirt but I'm sure you guys can find it easy enough. ;)

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

Edit: For the record, I did come across a version of this where someone had removed Susan's makup, and honestly I didn't consider it an improvement. I can't link the image because the person also removed Susan's shirt but I'm sure you guys can find it easy enough. ;)

I have no idea why you think so.

13 hours ago, mlooney said:
13 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I am "very no" on lipstick. Just doesn't strike me as a good thing.

Agree. And not only that, Goth's makeup tend to be obvious. (Meanwhile, correctly applied makeup for "normal" look should be almost unrecognizable.)