• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

More Speculation.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Somebody needs to ask this.

Is Arthur a descendant of Adrian Raven?

Possible, I suppose. Given that family trees can grow impressively large in just a couple of centuries. But it seems to me that it is highly likely that there are other half-immortals out there as well so it is by no means guaranteed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Somebody needs to ask this.

Is Arthur a descendant of Adrian Raven?

We have no direct basis for an opinion on that question, other than that he doesn't look much like Adrian or Diane or Susan - which doesn't necessarily mean much.

Indirectly... how many children has Adrian sired? We know that he hasn't sired many that he is aware of the woman being pregnant shortly after their relationship - otherwise he wouldn't have so quickly identified a prime prospect for Susan's ancestry. On the other hand, we know he has sired some (at least one) that he was NOT aware of the woman being pregnant afterward. Probably somewhere between a few thousand and a few tens of millions of people of European ancestry are his descendants - but probably not a majority. So the odds are against Arthur being his descendant.

I'd add that Sarah's magical affinity is (according to Box) not for magic weapons, and neither Elliot, Ellen, or Tedd have shown any sign of such an affinity.

Although, if someone is descended from *two* immortals with different affinities...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

I'd add that Sarah's magical affinity is (according to Box) not for magic weapons, and neither Elliot, Ellen, or Tedd have shown any sign of such an affinity.

Although, if someone is descended from *two* immortals with different affinities...

Someone having a particular affinity doesn't mean their family has just the one affinity. Consider Nanase's family history on her mom's side (and of course Tedd's on Noriko's side), her ancestors are implied to have kept their power strong by hooking up with other strong magic users, each of those would have a direct ancestry with a different Immortal so Nanase could have several dozen Immortal ancestors each one could have imparted a different affinity into her bloodline so that when Nanase was concieved it was basically like spinning a "wheel of affinities" and in Nanase's case she either didn't get a specific affinity, or the affinity just happened to fit with her trying to be sneaky around her mom. But it's possible that having an affinity doesn't guarantee the spells you get, especially if you're situation makes you yearn for something else or your actions allow for different spells, so who knows.

Susan having an affinity for magic weapons, doesn't mean Pandora is her only Immortal ancestor, and Diane being Pandora's Granddaughter doesn't mean that Pandora's the only Immortal in Diane's family either because Diane's biological mother could have Immortal ancestry as well. It would be just as much a coincidence than they both ended up with the same affinity as the fact that they look alike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just thinking of the family reunion when Arthur would try to explain to Pandora's other descendants why he attempted to have Adrian deported.

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=1349

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Useful Detail Added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I was just thinking of the family reunion when Arthur would try to explain to Pandora's other descendants why he attempted to have Adrian deported.

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=1349

Interesting thought would be that Susan's ancestors somewhere between her and Adrian moved to America before Adrian did. Don't think that would affect Adrian's citizenship any but still interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something I thought of while in the shower (that maybe has already been brought up but I didn't check because I'm lazy like that):

Much like "the Bane" is the affinity tied to descendants of Pandora, what if the propensity for being a Seer is a trait of Voltaire's bloodline - and that's how he knows about them when even Pandora didn't?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2018 at 11:22 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Somebody needs to ask this.

Is Arthur a descendant of Adrian Raven?

If he were, I'm 100% certain Pandora would have said.

 

So no.


(Sorry for the double post. Quote box was being screwy.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Illjwamh said:

Something I thought of while in the shower (that maybe has already been brought up but I didn't check because I'm lazy like that):

Much like "the Bane" is the affinity tied to descendants of Pandora, what if the propensity for being a Seer is a trait of Voltaire's bloodline - and that's how he knows about them when even Pandora didn't?

This goes back to what I said about Nanase and Tedd's ancestry on Noriko's and Mama Kitsune's side, and if there was a tradition of wizards or mages marrying other wizards or mages in order to keep the bloodline strong, then there'd be dozens of Immortals in their history. Considering Immortals usually reset every 200 years it might be possible that someone like say Jerry/Zeus might have fathered an elf in one of his previous lives who had a descendant that married one of Nanase's and Tedd's ancestors. Pandora was centuries old, but one of her previous selves could have also had a child who's ancestor could be in Nanase's and Tedd's family tree as well, does that make them related to Adrian?

Voltaire might have sired children in a previous incarnation centuries or millennia ago and their ancestors might be in Moperville but I'm not sure it would make much difference because there are probably a large number of humans that have mixed ancestry leading back to a number of different Immortals it, might even be possible that Pandora and Voltaire and Jerry/Zeus share descendants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Scotty said:

there are probably a large number of humans that have mixed ancestry leading back to a number of different Immortals

This is beginning to remind me of a story I heard someplace else.

6 When people began to multiply on the face of the ground, and daughters were born to them, 2 the sons of God saw that they were fair; and they took wives for themselves of all that they chose... 4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went in to the daughters of humans, who bore children to them. These were the heroes that were of old, warriors of renown.
Genesis 6:1-2, 4. NRSV 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

This is beginning to remind me of a story I heard someplace else.

6 When people began to multiply on the face of the ground, and daughters were born to them, 2 the sons of God saw that they were fair; and they took wives for themselves of all that they chose... 4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went in to the daughters of humans, who bore children to them. These were the heroes that were of old, warriors of renown.
Genesis 6:1-2, 4. NRSV 

That's making it harder to disprove the theory that in the EGS universe, Faeries were the source of many biblical events and things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Scotty said:

That's making it harder to disprove the theory that in the EGS universe, Faeries were the source of many biblical events and things.

This is my working theory of the Harry Potter universe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In one of Mercedes Lackey's books, a priest-mage briefly discusses the fact that many of the miracles attributed to his deity could have been faked by mages - he was specifically trained in how to do so, and also how to distinguish mage fakery from genuine miracles. (Unfortunately, if no suitably trained mage is present at the time of the event, determining afterward whether it was a miracle or a mage is more difficult. Fortunately, the specific event in question occurred at a major religious ceremony - and at the focus of that ceremony - and thus was observed by a few hundred priest-mages.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now