• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Wednesday April 5, 2017

3 hours ago, WR...S said:

Hmm... apparently Heka is reconstructed Egyptian for "Magic."

So, just out of curiosity, did you know that or did you wiki dive?  I hit the great wiki myself...

33 minutes ago, partner555 said:

So, what kind of being is this guy?

A being that isn't an "Immortal" but is lowercase i immortal.

Aren't I helpful?

Well looks like Cpt. Obvious and I were on the right track about this guy, he certainly was using a form intended to intimidate visitors.

He isn't an Immortal, but more like an immortal before Immortals became cool? An immortal hipster? Pandora could easily take what Heka said about how mortals these days would react to his regular form and say that mortals have changed their perception of what fairies should be as well and her kind needed a new name to be known as. Of course there are mortals that aren't all that impressed with calling them "Immortals" either.

Anyway, it seems like there's a chain of command forming here, Heka at the very least represents a higher tier of magical being. If there are more like him, what are the chances it was one of them that empowered Disco Wizard, though it would be funny if it was Heka that did it. Seriously, Heka said that "The library and it's contents are entwined with mortal destiny." if he has knowledge of all that's happened and is happening, he'd probably already be aware of what's going on in Moperville and that it could trigger a magic system change. Heka might be in a position to guide mortals in preventing it.

What the Heka?

I am guessing that this guy is not the original Heka, but a being, who is not mortal, using the name to do the job.  Kind of like how the rulers of Rome kept calling themselves Caesar long after the bloodlines of Gaius Julius and Octavius Augustus ran out.

This is actually interesting.  The beings we call Immortals were, in previous generations, identified as Fairies.  And the Fairies/Immortals are not the only immortal beings who interact with this world.

Pandora, and the other Fairies, are bound by their own code to how they may interfere with the lives of mortals.  Heka is not bound by Fairy law, but is bound by another code.  And apparently this Heka is powerful enough to destroy an Immortal.  At least within his sphere of influence.

And do not dismiss lightly the ability to magically summon good pastries.  Think back on the disastrous results when a Scottish wizard accidentally summoned a scone of stone.

An interesting development indeed. Now the question is, are Pandora's questions within what Heka would call reasonable? Also, why does she keep her hand raised like that?

Just now, Schmorgluck said:

An interesting development indeed. Now the question is, are Pandora's questions within what Heka would call reasonable? Also, why does she keep her hand raised like that?

She'll want more clarification about the possible system change and how/why Tedd is connected. Disco Wizard accused Immortals of letting themselves forget about the Will of Magic so she does have the right to try to get back that knowledge.

And she's keeping her hand up because she's conjured and orb of light which isn't as apparent on this page, but is on the previous.

17 minutes ago, Scotty said:

And she's keeping her hand up because she's conjured and orb of light which isn't as apparent on this page, but is on the previous.

It's there but blocked by word balloons or is just outside a panel border.  It must be shy.

54 minutes ago, Aura Guardian said:

"Mantle of Heka" now that's interesting. A way mortals can become immortal without becoming Aberrations, perhaps?

Has Dan read the Dresden Files by any chance???

3 minutes ago, mlooney said:

That does not saw how far he has got into it though and if he has read Cold Days or not ;)

OK there is a bit about Mantels in Summer Knight, but it is more important in Cold Days.

And just after we talked about how careful Dan is with gods, we have someone who might be god ... now, will Dan keep being careful or will he say something which might potentially offend someone?

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

Anyway, it seems like there's a chain of command forming here, Heka at the very least represents a higher tier of magical being. If there are more like him, what are the chances it was one of them that empowered Disco Wizard, though it would be funny if it was Heka that did it. Seriously, Heka said that "The library and it's contents are entwined with mortal destiny." if he has knowledge of all that's happened and is happening, he'd probably already be aware of what's going on in Moperville and that it could trigger a magic system change. Heka might be in a position to guide mortals in preventing it.

Heka doesn't seem necessary higher tier. He's just different and is not bound by fairy law, which gives him advantage in eventual battle. Note that he may not be aware how long since reset Pandora is - he apparently recognized her as fairy but not personally - so he may overestimate his chances.

BTW, fairies ... I'm not surprised. Fairies are most likely to have rules like "empower and guide".

And I don't think "entwined" means he can use library to stalk mortals. He will certainly have "library" knowledge but may not know exactly what's happening just now.

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I am guessing that this guy is not the original Heka, but a being, who is not mortal, using the name to do the job.  Kind of like how the rulers of Rome kept calling themselves Caesar long after the bloodlines of Gaius Julius and Octavius Augustus ran out.

There may not BE "original" Heka - it might've always be title/role/job.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:
7 hours ago, Schmorgluck said:

An interesting development indeed. Now the question is, are Pandora's questions within what Heka would call reasonable?

She'll want more clarification about the possible system change and how/why Tedd is connected. Disco Wizard accused Immortals of letting themselves forget about the Will of Magic so she does have the right to try to get back that knowledge.

I think she doesn't need specific right for magic reset knowledge, that the question about magic reset are considered allowed on this level. Question about Tedd, however ... we will see.

10 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

And I don't think "entwined" means he can use library to stalk mortals. He will certainly have "library" knowledge but may not know exactly what's happening just now.

I should have been more specific, I didn't mean he'd be aware of every little detail of people's lives, but at the very least aware of events of a magical nature, such as Pandora causing the energy clog and maybe even when a mortal with abilities such as Tedd's are born. It's a stretch, but he might even be aware of the imminent vampire attacks on Pandora's son, and we'll see her rushing to his aid.

10 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I should have been more specific, I didn't mean he'd be aware of every little detail of people's lives, but at the very least aware of events of a magical nature, such as Pandora causing the energy clog

It's possible he knows about the clog (it's supposed to be relatively obvious thing) but probably not who caused it.

If he knows any details, he's hot candidate for someone who pretended to be magic to Disco Wizard.

11 minutes ago, Scotty said:

maybe even when a mortal with abilities such as Tedd's are born.

That would suggest Tedd is even more important than we assumes.

12 minutes ago, Scotty said:

It's a stretch, but he might even be aware of the imminent vampire attacks on Pandora's son, and we'll see her rushing to his aid.

Very unlikely.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

If he knows any details, he's hot candidate for someone who pretended to be magic to Disco Wizard.

Maybe not him specifically, but someone like him could have empowered Disco Wizard with the spell to be able to contact Grace.