• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

Story Friday April 7, 2017

This gives us at least until Monday to come up with crackpot plot theories about Tedd's first purpose and his unknown ability, and probably much longer to speculate about his ultra-secret hush-hush tell-no-one second purpose. Goodie!

Speaking of crackpot theories, if Heka really dates back to Ancient Egypt, he might not be as smart as Pandora. Why? Well, he's already said that he's a different kind of immortal than the "fairies" who are now calling themselves the Immortals, and as a maybe-god of information (I hesitate to say "wisdom"; that, I believe, was Thoth's department), he wouldn't have been terribly effective if he had to reset every couple of centuries and re-learn his job. But getting so smart and so bored he goes crazy every few centuries isn't acceptable either. So I'm saying that he's probably more stable but slower-to-learn and, of course, able to find his own entertainment.

On the other hand, Heka stated he "holds the mantle of Heka" which implies that others have held it before. Which brings me to my second crackpot theory: Heka actually is the "Will of Magic." Quite awhile ago I posited that the Will might actually be an office.

But on to my third crackpot theory: The second purpose is for the best of the seers to become the new Heka or "Will of Magic."

And my fourth: Voltaire doesn't want Tedd to become the new Heka because Heka has dominion not just over human mortal magic, but all magic, including that of fairies/Immortals. Tedd-Heka could ruin a whole lot of Voltaire's fun. Or maybe even make the pain-in-the-ass immortal into a mortal.

Since one of the special powers Tedd/Tess gets with the title of "seer" is to remove enchantments, if he isn't limited to him/herself that ability could work on a lot of things. We already know that abberations can't survive as humans ever again, and immortals might be as dependent on magic as humans are on mater. So "removing" hostile magical beings might be part of the office, perhaps to clean up who- or what-ever caused a system change.

Someone who has been misusing magic to try and kill mortals might really want Tess/Tedd too traumatized to carry out his/her duty...

Anyone else thinking it's highly unlikely that Tedd's going to be told what he is now? The first purpose of a seer doesn't seem to have any bearing on how Tedd will develop later. The second purpose seems like a "it's something you need to realize yourself, you'll fight it if someone else tells you" situation with the twist that if Tedd's not in the right mindset should Pandora tell him, he might end up abusing his abilities or being manipulated into using them.

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

And my fourth: Voltaire doesn't want Tedd to become the new Heka because Heka has dominion not just over human mortal magic, but all magic, including that of fairies/Immortals. Tedd-Heka could ruin a whole lot of Voltaire's fun. Or maybe even make the pain-in-the-ass immortal into a mortal.

38 minutes ago, Haylo said:

Someone who has been misusing magic to try and kill mortals might really want Tess/Tedd too traumatized to carry out his/her duty...

I think Voltaire wants Tedd to be of an unstable mindset because whatever the second purpose of a seer is, is likely something that Voltaire wants to exploit. Voltaire has to have been watching for quite some time now, more than a year, he's got to have heard the Main Eight talk about Lord Tedd and have thought to himself "An alternate version of Tedd that apparently strikes fear whenever his name is spoke. That sounds like fun" and so he wants to get Tedd into an unstable mindset because it would make him easier to manipulate.

Voltaire knows Tedd is a seer, exactly how much does he know? Has Voltaire visited Heka as well or do we have an Immortal that's done better memoir keeping than the rest of them?

So, Voltaire may be trying to mess up the "sound mind" part, likely +/- the "morally good" is hoped to be a casualty of losing the first.  Next question is, does he know enough to decide, if he isn't getting his way, to blow the whole deal for Tedd by telling too much at the last minute?

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

...and probably much longer to speculate about his ultra-secret hush-hush tell-no-one second purpose. Goodie!

He chooses which movies win the oscars???

Seriously though I suspect it is something like the real ruler of the Galaxy in the Hitchikers guide...

22 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

So, Voltaire may be trying to mess up the "sound mind" part, likely +/- the "morally good" is hoped to be a casualty of losing the first.  Next question is, does he know enough to decide, if he isn't getting his way, to blow the whole deal for Tedd by telling too much at the last minute?

If he knows that telling Tedd is neither guiding nor empowering, that will cause him to get blasted into a reset, at the least.

Couldn't happen to a better immortal.  He needs to get all the immortal blasted anyway.  I want to know what his theory on causing hell to rain down on Moperville and/or killing Elliot is either guiding or empowering.  Freaking butt wipe.

Sure, Tedd will be corrupted soon. How low has this comic gone though?

5 minutes ago, Sjmcc13 said:

He chooses which movies win the oscars???

Cannot say he could not. But he is not a psychic. (Or is a seer one?)

Did someone convince Second Life Tedd at an early age that he was "no good" to keep him from developing as a seer?

Was Lord Tedd corrupted for similar reasons?

Could Noriko have been manipulated into leaving our Tedd and Edward to keep the younger Verres confused?

41 minutes ago, Stature said:

Sure, Tedd will be corrupted soon. How low has this comic gone though?

Cannot say he could not. But he is not a psychic. (Or is a seer one?)

According to `define:seer` in The Google, seer has psychic as a synonym

seer
sir/

noun
noun: seer; plural noun: seers

1. a person who is supposed to be able, through supernatural insight, to see what the future holds.
    synonyms:
    soothsayer, oracle, prophet(ess), augur, prognosticator, diviner, visionary, fortune teller, crystal gazer, clairvoyant, psychic, medium;
  2. literary:sibyl
    "the woeful predictions of an ancient seer"
  3. an expert who provides forecasts of the economic or political future.
    "our seers have grown gloomier about prospects for growth"
  4. a person who sees something specified.
    "a seer of the future"

Fun fact:  For the first time in many years I used the "Dictionary List" HTML tags for what they were made for.

So Tedd has lots of magic energy (from the first panel)?  But we also know that Tedd has been scanned by his parents and has seemingly no magic potential.  And his gauntlet was created to drain some of his magic energy and store it for use later, since he thinks he has little available energy for spells, just enough to trigger the watches.  Little enough energy that the magic mark he has should only work while there is extra ambient energy.

So, lots of what kind of magic energy?  We do know he seems energized (and glows) when he makes new discoveries about magic (or has intense feelings of love).

50 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

So Tedd has lots of magic energy (from the first panel)?  But we also know that Tedd has been scanned by his parents and has seemingly no magic potential.  And his gauntlet was created to drain some of his magic energy and store it for use later, since he thinks he has little available energy for spells, just enough to trigger the watches.  Little enough energy that the magic mark he has should only work while there is extra ambient energy.

So, lots of what kind of magic energy?  We do know he seems energized (and glows) when he makes new discoveries about magic (or has intense feelings of love).

And how will the Griffins react to him???

22 minutes ago, Sjmcc13 said:

And how will the Griffins react to him???

With their next meeting set up the next month, I kind of think whatever Sirleck and Magus have set up is going to happen first. Whatever it is, I'm predicting it will take two or three months of our time to resolve at the least.

Lady Andrea knows a lot about magic. I'd put her at least at the level of Tedd's dad. So she might actually know both purposes of a Seer, or be able to guess what the second purpose is. A possible future conversation:

Tedd: Is there anything else you can tell me?

Andrea: I have a theory.

Tedd: What is it?

Andrea: If my theory is right, I shouldn't tell you.

Gee, I'm making Andrea sound a bit like Tedd's dad, aren't I? I don't think Tedd's dad knows, but if he does, he's awfully good at keeping his mouth shut. Perhaps so good it ruined his marriage.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Did someone convince Second Life Tedd at an early age that he was "no good" to keep him from developing as a seer?

I dunno, but I'm thinking the fact that Ellen experienced it and then brought it to our Tedd certainly made a difference, maybe not initially but it did lay the groundwork for the later discussion between Ellen and Tedd.

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Was Lord Tedd corrupted for similar reasons?

Dunno if it was an Immortal's intention or strictly General Shade Tail's doing, I think the results would be similar though. I've said before that of all the universes we've seen a Tedd in, only Lord Tedd's didn't seem to have Elliot or Ellen in it (or the other Main Eight crew for that matter) So my best theory is Elliot/Ellen being killed traumatized Lord Tedd and General Shade Tail took advantage of it.

Voltaire was attempting to kill our Elliot because it would traumatize Tedd, learning about magic possibly changing and not being able to fulfill his dream of making magic public also had a negative effect that Voltaire was pleased with, though I imagine he's again cursing Elliot for giving Tedd that pep talk. Plan CM is looking to be an attempt at a shotgun effect that's expected to push someone over the edge both Elliot and Adrian are in danger, Elliot being more collateral due to the attack of Adrian being meant to allow Magus a clear shot and getting Ellen to zap Elliot, but if something were to happen to Adrian, and enraged Pandora might use Tedd as a weapon.

Here's a question I don't think anyone else has asked yet: Do Immortals like Pandora, Voltaire, Helena, Demetrius, and Jerry travel between universes, or are they restricted to one? Or something in between, such as their powers only working in their home universe, or their powers working differently in other universes?

The only characters in EGS we've actually seen travel between universes are Nioi and Magus--and Magus may not count because he's stuck in the spirit plane. Beta Tedd was just able to send a message to Grace, and Lord Tedd sent a very small construct to our Tedd's universe. I'm not counting the Griffins because Lady Andrea says she just comes from the other side of the same world. There's a hint in Squirrel Prophet that one of Luke's friends knows about General Shade Tail, but that's all; we haven't even seen the character at the other end of that phone call. Ellen is somehow sure that "someday" she'll meet the other Ellen she shares memories with, or at least she was way back at Grace's birthday party.

So crossing between universes seems to be a very big deal in EGS, maybe even for Immortals. Maybe Voltaire is the only Immortal who can do it.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

There's a hint in Squirrel Prophet that one of Luke's friends knows about General Shade Tail,

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

If you're referring to this exchange, they were talking about Noah.

Yup, and the dialog seem to imply that Luke saw Noah but did not really interact with him. Definitly not enough to be a Friend. Which is supported by his terrified fleeing at scanning Grace

14 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

This gives us at least until Monday to come up with crackpot plot theories about Tedd's first purpose and his unknown ability, and probably much longer to speculate about his ultra-secret hush-hush tell-no-one second purpose. Goodie!

I think that the first purpose is something not really important and the second purpose is the magic reset one.

Speaking of crackpot theories, if Heka really dates back to Ancient Egypt, he might not be as smart as Pandora. Why? Well, he's already said that he's a different kind of immortal than the "fairies" who are now calling themselves the Immortals, and as a maybe-god of information (I hesitate to say "wisdom"; that, I believe, was Thoth's department), he wouldn't have been terribly effective if he had to reset every couple of centuries and re-learn his job. But getting so smart and so bored he goes crazy every few centuries isn't acceptable either. So I'm saying that he's probably more stable but slower-to-learn and, of course, able to find his own entertainment.

I'm not sure if I would call the almost-predictive abilities immortals have "being smart". But I agree that he is unlikely to have them. I think the whole deal with reset is specific to fairies and he is dealing with long life differently.

I don't think Heka or whatever else Tedd can transform to has dominion over ALL magic. But "Tedd-Heka" might still have power to ruin Voltaire's fun, either directly by attacking him or indirectly by forcing him to follow even more limiting rules.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

Anyone else thinking it's highly unlikely that Tedd's going to be told what he is now? The first purpose of a seer doesn't seem to have any bearing on how Tedd will develop later. The second purpose seems like a "it's something you need to realize yourself, you'll fight it if someone else tells you" situation with the twist that if Tedd's not in the right mindset should Pandora tell him, he might end up abusing his abilities or being manipulated into using them.

I don't think he might end up abusing the "second purpose". I think that the second purpose is PROTECTED from abuse by anyone knowing about it not being eligible for it.

Meanwhile, being intelligent, sound mind and morally good is NOT strictly necessary and might be way how to manipulate the seer.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

Voltaire knows Tedd is a seer, exactly how much does he know? Has Voltaire visited Heka as well or do we have an Immortal that's done better memoir keeping than the rest of them?

Heka is certainly not the only one with this knowledge. Voltaire either remembers it by memoir, got it from someone else OR maybe asked Heka century ago.

9 hours ago, Entropy said:

My personal teory is that Voltaire is the reason Ted became Lord Ted in that dimension, probably with the help of General Shade Tail.

I find it likely. Although I wouldn't use the word "help" ... I think he USED General Shade Tail for it.

8 hours ago, mlooney said:
8 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

If he knows that telling Tedd is neither guiding nor empowering, that will cause him to get blasted into a reset, at the least.

Possibly so fast he wouldn't even explain enough to disable Tedd.

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I don't think he needed any convincing. I think our Tedd was convinced to be "no good" before TF gun as well.

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Could Noriko have been manipulated into leaving our Tedd and Edward to keep the younger Verres confused?

Manipulated? I'm more interested if she might possibly realize Tedd is seer and then disappear because she knows she can't be trusted to not tell him.

6 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

He may not entirely correctly evaluated himself. Note that Luke was almost blinded by looking at him.

6 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

I think it's We do know he seems energized (and glows) when he makes new discoveries about magic or love.

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

With their next meeting set up the next month, I kind of think whatever Sirleck and Magus have set up is going to happen first. Whatever it is, I'm predicting it will take two or three months of our time to resolve at the least.

Lady Andrea knows a lot about magic. I'd put her at least at the level of Tedd's dad. So she might actually know both purposes of a Seer, or be able to guess what the second purpose is. A possible future conversation:

I agree that Andrea knows too much ... which is why I think she somehow WON'T MEET TEDD. Because such meeting would complicate the story too much.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Dunno if it was an Immortal's intention or strictly General Shade Tail's doing, I think the results would be similar though. I've said before that of all the universes we've seen a Tedd in, only Lord Tedd's didn't seem to have Elliot or Ellen in it (or the other Main Eight crew for that matter) So my best theory is Elliot/Ellen being killed traumatized Lord Tedd and General Shade Tail took advantage of it.

I think that Elliot is SO important that just him NOT BEING AROUND might make Tedd unstable, even if he wasn't killed after Tedd was already friend with him.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Here's a question I don't think anyone else has asked yet: Do Immortals like Pandora, Voltaire, Helena, Demetrius, and Jerry travel between universes, or are they restricted to one? Or something in between, such as their powers only working in their home universe, or their powers working differently in other universes?

Very good questions. Note that the fairie law will DEFINITELY affect them based on the universe they are IN.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

So crossing between universes seems to be a very big deal in EGS, maybe even for Immortals. Maybe Voltaire is the only Immortal who can do it.

Maybe Voltaire DIDN'T do it and just lied he did.

..............How does Tedd's parents not know about this yet? Just are rare are Seers anyway.

.............At the very least, his mother doesn't know. I'm not sure his father's caught on yet. It might be one of the reasons he fakes a seizure. Assuming he did know something about his son's magic.

........Or I could be going overboard with this thing. Who knows.