• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

NP Monday April 10, 2017

Sooo, anyone remembering what lamp was there? What room it even is? Not her ... although there is lamp there ... this lamp is also positioned differently ...

Wait, does Ellen have twin ponytails?

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Of all the loose ends from Squirrel Prophet, THIS is the one Dan has chosen to unravel and weave?

Did you missed how Dan don't want to do anything important in NP story? Like, he did Question Mark and then copied it into main story because he decided it's too important to not be there. So, all more interesting ends will be addressed in main story.

Assuming Dan's opinion on what is interesting matches ours.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Sooo, anyone remembering what lamp was there? What room it even is? Not her ... although there is lamp there ... this lamp is also positioned differently ...

Likely the Dunkel's living room, there's a lamp on either side of the couch, you barely see the one next to Ellen but it likely matches the one beside Susan.

And yes Ellen has twin ponytails, probably Dan thinking that making it obvious that Ellen is trying to turn on a lamp that's not there would distract us from noticing the ponytails.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Did you missed how Dan don't want to do anything important in NP story? Like, he did Question Mark and then copied it into main story because he decided it's too important to not be there. So, all more interesting ends will be addressed in main story.

Marker seems important to the story, yet it was left in the NP section, mind you it isn't part of the current story timeline so it would have been difficult to include it in the main story section especially considering he started Marker alongside Sister 3, and to fit it in the main timeline would place it between panels 4 and 6. The NP is a good spot for filling in time gaps and side stories that are canon but not directly important to the main story, I think Dan mentioned somewhere that he might make NPs to tell use what some of the others have been doing during all this, like we haven't seen Justin at all yet, and I think Dan wanted to have Sarah doing more stuff with her spell too that might work better in an NP since she would have had many opportunities to use in by this point, we've only seen her use it three times in this arc and it's into Wednesday now comic time? So a montage of Sarah experimenting with her spell while doing her part in using up magic energy would be fun to see.

11 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Of all the loose ends from Squirrel Prophet, THIS is the one Dan has chosen to unravel and weave?

As I have said before, The Dan that can be understood is not the True Dan

9 hours ago, Scotty said:
15 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Likely the Dunkel's living room, there's a lamp on either side of the couch, you barely see the one next to Ellen but it likely matches the one beside Susan.

Right, although I'm not surprised I wasn't remembering it if this was the best strip it was in.

Although ... if it's THIS kind of lamp, it must be pretty tall for Ellen to be switching it on with this hand position. On the other hand the one behind Susan looks pretty tall.

And yes Ellen has twin ponytails, probably Dan thinking that making it obvious that Ellen is trying to turn on a lamp that's not there would distract us from noticing the ponytails.

:)

Marker seems important to the story, yet it was left in the NP section

Not directly important. Rhoda and Catalina are second tier characters (for now) and how was Catalina marked will probably never be referenced again, we will get only very short summary when Catalina finally says she has mark to someone from main eight.

The NP is a good spot for filling in time gaps and side stories that are canon but not directly important to the main story

Exactly.

I think Dan mentioned somewhere that he might make NPs to tell use what some of the others have been doing during all this, like we haven't seen Justin at all yet, and I think Dan wanted to have Sarah doing more stuff with her spell too that might work better in an NP

What would Justin be doing?

I'm pretty sure Sarah will be using her spell more offscreen than onscreen, considering she is supposed to use it all the time and most of those uses would be either boring or filled with mostly imagined stuff.

Neither is a loose string from Squirrel Prophet. THOSE are likely to be important.

14 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Although ... if it's THIS kind of lamp, it must be pretty tall for Ellen to be switching it on with this hand position. On the other hand the one behind Susan looks pretty tall.

Judging by the height of the lamp next to Susan, Ellen's hand would have been just under the lampshade which would be where the knob switch usually is, had the lamp used a pull-chain to turn on/off then her hand would be too high.

Interestingly enough, Adrian seems to have the same lamps. They must have bought them at Swedekea. ;)

20 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Not directly important. Rhoda and Catalina are second tier characters (for now) and how was Catalina marked will probably never be referenced again, we will get only very short summary when Catalina finally says she has mark to someone from main eight.

Catalina being marked was strongly foreshadowed in Squirrel Prophet with Grace believing that Catalina had been marked, Marker confirmed not only that she was, but gave us when it happened. Even with it being an earlier time period, it still has the same importance to the story as Question Mark. Escape from the Mall had more of a side story feel to it.

30 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

What would Justin be doing?

I'm pretty sure Sarah will be using her spell more offscreen than onscreen, considering she is supposed to use it all the time and most of those uses would be either boring or filled with mostly imagined stuff.

Neither is a loose string from Squirrel Prophet. THOSE are likely to be important.

Ok, seems like I misremembered Dan's tweets, did some digging and managed to find where he mentioned focusing on Justin and Sarah and he doesn't mention using the NP, just that he had ideas for standalone storylines based on stuff that he decided to leave out of Sister 3 for the sake of pacing. Also same with Ashley:

Those storylines could probably be NP's but it does sound like they could also be the next few main storylines after Sister 3 is done. ::shrugs::

1 minute ago, Scotty said:
52 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Catalina being marked was strongly foreshadowed in Squirrel Prophet with Grace believing that Catalina had been marked, Marker confirmed not only that she was, but gave us when it happened. Even with it being an earlier time period, it still has the same importance to the story as Question Mark. Escape from the Mall had more of a side story feel to it.

Confirmation can be done in much simpler way and when it happened is not important. Meanwhile, Question Mark contains lot of stuff Dan would need to repeat. Read commentary for the copied Question mark ... and also this one and the one after that and this one.

12 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Those storylines could probably be NP's but it does sound like they could also be the next few main storylines after Sister 3 is done. ::shrugs::

Oh. These ones. Somehow I though you mean Justin was supposed to do something in Summer.

Obviously, here Justin and Sarah means their dates. Justin + Luke and Sarah + Sam. And Ashley might get another date with Elliot which will not be interrupted by griffins, although she didn't mind :).

58 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Obviously, here Justin and Sarah means their dates. Justin + Luke and Sarah + Sam.

We know Sarah was planning on spending the next Friday with Sam, which is turning out to be the day crap might hit the fan, unless crap hits the fan thursday and Susan and Diane's meeting at the mall is uninterrupted, but I just have this feeling that Diane wanting to wait till Friday and meet at the mall is just asking for trouble and crap will hit the fan then.

Sarah's probably not in danger as all she has to do is use the spell and she can likely do so discretely during the "might be date", so I guess Dan could still keep that separate while having it take place in the same timeframe as Susan and Diane's meeting. Justin and Grace would like be at the comic shop running another card tournament which seems to be a weekly event given that both Sarah and Sam stated they couldn't afford to attend every week on their allowances. Justin's date with Luke might be a Saturday though I wouldn't be surprised if Luke returned to the shop Friday just to hang out with Justin rather than play in the tournament.

As for Ashley, yeah the obvious is more time with Elliot considering we've yet to see Elliot interact with Ashley in Sister 3, all we know for sure is he spent time talking to her on Sunday going over their cover story, whether that was on the phone or in person wasn't clear though. It really depends on how things go with the Sister 3 arc whether or not Ashley's next date is with Elliot possessed by Magus .

56 minutes ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Obviously, here Justin and Sarah means their dates. Justin + Luke and Sarah + Sam.

We know Sarah was planning on spending the next Friday with Sam, which is turning out to be the day crap might hit the fan, unless crap hits the fan thursday and Susan and Diane's meeting at the mall is uninterrupted, but I just have this feeling that Diane wanting to wait till Friday and meet at the mall is just asking for trouble and crap will hit the fan then.

Sarah's probably not in danger as all she has to do is use the spell and she can likely do so discretely during the "might be date", so I guess Dan could still keep that separate while having it take place in the same timeframe as Susan and Diane's meeting.

Buuut Susan and Diane's meeting is likely part of Sister 3. Sarah + Sam date may not be. It will mean the comics would not follow real time, but it wouldn't be first time it happened, so ...

Justin and Grace would like be at the comic shop running another card tournament which seems to be a weekly event given that both Sarah and Sam stated they couldn't afford to attend every week on their allowances.

Hmmm ... I sort of though this was special opportunity, but Justin said it's same every week ... still, maybe it was special because it was first sealed tournament with new set (vampires and werewolves) and possibly had little higher-than-average attendance (not just Tedd, Sarah, Sam and Luke ... wait, even just those four would make it significantly higher than average, there wasn't that many people there).

Justin's date with Luke might be a Saturday though I wouldn't be surprised if Luke returned to the shop Friday just to hang out with Justin rather than play in the tournament.

It is also possible they are going to hang out AFTER the tournament. It's Friday, they can sleep later.

As for Ashley, yeah the obvious is more time with Elliot considering we've yet to see Elliot interact with Ashley in Sister 3, all we know for sure is he spent time talking to her on Sunday going over their cover story, whether that was on the phone or in person wasn't clear though.

All others were talking personally. I think phones are still not considered secure enough - especially phones of people outside main 8.

It really depends on how things go with the Sister 3 arc whether or not Ashley's next date is with Elliot possessed by Magus .

... I think Dan wouldn't do that out of fear of pitchforks.

Like, sure, it would be a way how to free Elliot for Susan, but ... no.

Damn. I just realized that the "second OT3" may not happen ... what if Elliot makes enough duplicates so one can date Susan and one Ashley? And one Diane? And Dunkels would need bigger house.

(Presumably, there would be another duplicate for Magus. Unless Magus would date Diane, that may work - he may be similar enough to Elliot but without the "changing into girl" part Diane isn't sure she likes.)

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Hmmm ... I sort of though this was special opportunity, but Justin said it's same every week ... still, maybe it was special because it was first sealed tournament with new set (vampires and werewolves) and possibly had little higher-than-average attendance (not just Tedd, Sarah, Sam and Luke ... wait, even just those four would make it significantly higher than average, there wasn't that many people there).

Sealed would more likely mainly occur when new sets are released, the rest of the time are probably using the Modern format, though maybe they do the odd "Olde School" tournament for Tensaided. ;)

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

It is also possible they are going to hang out AFTER the tournament. It's Friday, they can sleep later.

Possible too, there is a fast food place next door, though Dan could have Justin crave chicken teryaki and have them entering the mall food court just as or shortly after Susan and Diane leave.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

All others were talking personally. I think phones are still not considered secure enough - especially phones of people outside main 8.

But I wonder if Elliot talked to Ashley personally, where did they do it? Ellen and Nanase had Susan at the Dunkel house and unless Ashley's parent's weren't home, I don't think Elliot would have wanted to talk at her place for fear of her parent's overhearing and freaking out, though if they saw the news they might still be freaking out. Would Edward have trusted Elliot to bring Ashley into his house? I guess Elliot would have to mention that there was going to be a Cheerleadra sighting staged to help his cover, but how much detail would he give Ashley about who was doing that? Ashley was only aware of Elliot and Nanase having magic, if she were to go to Edward's and learn that Edward is Tedd's dad, she would likely suspect Tedd of knowing stuff as well. Though it probably wouldn't make a difference to her as she wouldn't pry, but would Edward trust her that easily?

I guess a possible Ashley story might not be another date with Elliot, but maybe her trying to explain what happened Saturday night to her parents?

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

... I think Dan wouldn't do that out of fear of pitchforks.

I post my reasoning for why it likely wouldn't happen in the Moar Speculation thread.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:
4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

But I wonder if Elliot talked to Ashley personally, where did they do it? Ellen and Nanase had Susan at the Dunkel house and unless Ashley's parent's weren't home, I don't think Elliot would have wanted to talk at her place for fear of her parent's overhearing and freaking out, though if they saw the news they might still be freaking out.

Goood point. And even if they DID freaked out when they saw the news, they could freak out again.

Would Edward have trusted Elliot to bring Ashley into his house? I guess Elliot would have to mention that there was going to be a Cheerleadra sighting staged to help his cover, but how much detail would he give Ashley about who was doing that? Ashley was only aware of Elliot and Nanase having magic, if she were to go to Edward's and learn that Edward is Tedd's dad, she would likely suspect Tedd of knowing stuff as well. Though it probably wouldn't make a difference to her as she wouldn't pry, but would Edward trust her that easily?

She wouldn't need to learn about Edward being Tedd's dad or even meeting him even if in his house. Worse issue is how hard would be to clean Verres house to not contain anything suspicious. Nah, I don't think they talked there.

Most likely, they agreed on some place which is technically public but empty enough so noone would hear them. It would be easier to explain to Ashley's parents anyway.

I guess a possible Ashley story might not be another date with Elliot, but maybe her trying to explain what happened Saturday night to her parents?

THAT would be good idea for NP story. Very interesting and funny but not really directly important for main story.

We've hardly seen anyone's parents except Tedd's, because he's involved; Nanase's mom, who is also plot-relevant; and the Dunkels, because Dan has so much fun with their calm acceptance of everything.  Susan's mom appeared once when they went over for videos, and a couple of times very briefly in flashbacks, and that's it.  Even Nanase's dad has barely gotten five lines, and most of those quite recently in Marker/Escape From the Mall.  Sarah's dad woke her up early on a Saturday and called from another room after she screamed.  Justin's uncle made one appearance and his dad spoke once on the phone.  Ashley's dad is already ahead of Justin's and Sarah's moms, as he's been in one flashback about buying a Ranma 1/2 comic.

I do believe there is a Trope about kids' parents being absent from their adventures....

50 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

And that trope is a bit more credible for kids age 16+ than it is for, say, Linus Van Pelt.

To be fair, Dan isn't as ham-handed about this kind of trope as certain writers I could mention are. When the local police officer is named 'Mr. Goon' and spends more time on chasing the teen protagonists than the actual criminals in the story, it tends to indicate a slanted point of view.

10 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

We've hardly seen anyone's parents except Tedd's, because he's involved; Nanase's mom, who is also plot-relevant; and the Dunkels, because Dan has so much fun with their calm acceptance of everything.  Susan's mom appeared once when they went over for videos, and a couple of times very briefly in flashbacks, and that's it.  Even Nanase's dad has barely gotten five lines, and most of those quite recently in Marker/Escape From the Mall.  Sarah's dad woke her up early on a Saturday and called from another room after she screamed.  Justin's uncle made one appearance and his dad spoke once on the phone.  Ashley's dad is already ahead of Justin's and Sarah's moms, as he's been in one flashback about buying a Ranma 1/2 comic.

To be fair, most of parents are SUPPOSED to be kept in dark about their kids abilities and knowledge ... and with growing percentage of plot containing magic and/or aliens, they really can contribute little to the story ...

The reason Dunkels appears more often than say Susan's mom is because they are in the know about lot of stuff - partly because Edward wasn't able to think of anything better when solving Ellen problem and partly possibly because they already knew something and that's the reason why they calmly accept everything.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

The reason Dunkels appears more often than say Susan's mom is because they are in the know about lot of stuff - partly because Edward wasn't able to think of anything better when solving Ellen problem and partly possibly because they already knew something and that's the reason why they calmly accept everything.

Well, they already knew some pretty weird things happen at Tedd's house.  Short of taking away his son's best friend, there's not a lot Mr. Verres could do to prevent Elliot finding out, and I can't help but think Elliot wound up coming home either changed by something Tedd did, or accompanied by a changed Tedd.  Not to mention stuff like their science class Goo coming to life, which their teacher seemed to see as par for the course.

That's a good point--the chemistry teacher's reaction to hearing that the Goo had come to life was not disbelief, but rather a facepalm, implying that headache-inducing antics were less of a novelty and more of an ongoing annoyance.

13 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Well, they already knew some pretty weird things happen at Tedd's house.  Short of taking away his son's best friend, there's not a lot Mr. Verres could do to prevent Elliot finding out, and I can't help but think Elliot wound up coming home either changed by something Tedd did, or accompanied by a changed Tedd.  Not to mention stuff like their science class Goo coming to life, which their teacher seemed to see as par for the course.

Look at the principals reaction to a gender swapped Elliot asking him to have the teachers cover up the change with that flimsy story. 

18 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
23 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Well, they already knew some pretty weird things happen at Tedd's house.  Short of taking away his son's best friend, there's not a lot Mr. Verres could do to prevent Elliot finding out

Best and quite possibly only. If Sarah wasn't coming for some time after the incident, Elliot might've been only friend.

18 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

and I can't help but think Elliot wound up coming home either changed by something Tedd did, or accompanied by a changed Tedd.  Not to mention stuff like their science class Goo coming to life, which their teacher seemed to see as par for the course.

Hmmm ... and Nanase was flying in school. They really wasn't good at keeping secret before start of comics, were they? Well, kids ...

Moperville Mall Security had "Code Spooky" in their operating procedures.

It seems that unusual stuff keeps happening around Moperville.  So far, it doesn't seem like anyone outside the usual suspects have pieced together that the Verres-Kitsune family connection is the magnet that pulls all this together.