• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Monday April 10, 2017

Ahh he is aware of what's going on in Moperville, I'm wondering if he's decided to not be a jerk to Pandora because he's also aware that Voltaire is trying to make Tedd ineligible. I'm a bit frustrated that Dan might be stalling with the reveal of what Tedd's first purpose and missed ability is though, hoping for Wednesday though.

15 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I'm a bit frustrated that Dan might be stalling with the reveal of what Tedd's first purpose and missed ability is though, hoping for Wednesday though.

You might want to read the commentary...

On April 10, Dan said:

It's going to be awkward when it's revealed "the mantle of Heka" is not a title or responsibility, and is instead just the mantle above his fireplace with the word "Heka" written on it.

Does he also live under the name of Sanders?

Well then. I guess the "any being older than 200 years is probably debunked." I mean, Mantle of Heka, an immortal that's not a fairy, seems like he's older than that.

Oh yeah. And also, I like the term "fairy". Think I'm just going to call all the "immortals" fairies from now on. Strictly as a courtesy to the other immortals, of course. Of course. Nothing to do with the idea making me giggle or that they seem to enjoy being super small and perching on people's shoulder's while on another layer of reality.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

Ahh he is aware of what's going on in Moperville, I'm wondering if he's decided to not be a jerk to Pandora because he's also aware that Voltaire is trying to make Tedd ineligible. I'm a bit frustrated that Dan might be stalling with the reveal of what Tedd's first purpose and missed ability is though, hoping for Wednesday though.

I don't think Voltaire is trying to make Tedd ineligible. I think he is trying to make him not a sound mind BUT still eligible.

Note that yes, Heka seems to know more that he was showing before, but on the other hand he still relies on Pandora to assess Tedd. He may not know about Voltaire - or he know ABOUT Voltaire but not enough details. It's also possible that he knows enough to be afraid to tell Pandora but not enough to realize letting Pandora shred him to bits would be good idea.

1 hour ago, Evilbob said:

or that they seem to enjoy being super small and perching on people's shoulder's while on another layer of reality.

Only Helena and Demetrius were doing that ... and those names are from Midsumer Night's Dream, although not names of fairies from it.

1 hour ago, Evilbob said:

Nothing to do with the idea making me giggle

Speaking about Midsumer Night's Dream, making fun of fairies has long tradition, considering Shakespeare already did. I suspect it has something to do with why they decided to stop using that name.

Still, the immortal law - actually, both "empower and guide" and the one about not directly lying from other half of the world - is something which would be expected from fairies. Other immortal beings tend to not have rules like that.

2 hours ago, Evilbob said:

And also, I like the term "fairy". Think I'm just going to call all the "immortals" fairies from now on. Strictly as a courtesy to the other immortals, of course. Of course. Nothing to do with the idea making me giggle or that they seem to enjoy being super small and perching on people's shoulder's while on another layer of reality.

Hmm, given your name, I would have guessed you'd already read The Dresden Files, but perhaps it's just a coincidence.  If you'd read them, then you'd already know just how freaking dangerous and scary traditional faries are.  ;-P

45 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Note that yes, Heka seems to know more that he was showing before, but on the other hand he still relies on Pandora to assess Tedd. He may not know about Voltaire - or he know ABOUT Voltaire but not enough details. It's also possible that he knows enough to be afraid to tell Pandora but not enough to realize letting Pandora shred him to bits would be good idea.

I think Heka was actually assessing Pandora rather than wanting to know more about Tedd, sure he doesn't know everything about Tedd, but he at least knows about him and likely already knew of his potential as a seer. His jab about Fairies referring themselves as Immortals could have been a test to see how Pandora would react, also line of questioning could have also been as much a test of her patience as it was to get a read on Tedd. Pandora could have gone into her childlike tantrums or something and Heka would have likely given her the runaround or mislead her in a way that would have safeguarded Tedd's eligibility but no, she's been honest and respectful towards Heka and so Heka's going to reciprocate and tell her what she needs to know. If it turns out that she can't fully tell Tedd everything, she might not like it, but she'll probably do the right thing.

3 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:
2 hours ago, Evilbob said:

And also, I like the term "fairy". Think I'm just going to call all the "immortals" fairies from now on. Strictly as a courtesy to the other immortals, of course. Of course. Nothing to do with the idea making me giggle or that they seem to enjoy being super small and perching on people's shoulder's while on another layer of reality.

Hmm, given your name, I would have guessed you'd already read The Dresden Files, but perhaps it's just a coincidence.  If you'd read them, then you'd already know just how freaking dangerous and scary traditional faries are.  ;-P

Just be happy he's not called LittleBob and be sure to hide all the Smint if one should show up. ;)

Speculation: Heka has immediate as-if-from-memory access to all written records. However, he doesn't have infinite ability to pay attention to all that stuff. And can't with 100% reliability instantly collect all relevant facts about a situation... kind of like real people's memories. So basically, anything that he realizes he needs to know, he knows (if it is, or ever was, written down, on anything from clay tally-ledgers to computer screens) - but if he doesn't realize he needs to know it, and doesn't go after it through random curiosity, he doesn't know it.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:
3 hours ago, Evilbob said:

Dresden Files aren't only one which presents fairies as dangerous.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I think Heka was actually assessing Pandora rather than wanting to know more about Tedd, sure he doesn't know everything about Tedd, but he at least knows about him and likely already knew of his potential as a seer. His jab about Fairies referring themselves as Immortals could have been a test to see how Pandora would react, also line of questioning could have also been as much a test of her patience as it was to get a read on Tedd. Pandora could have gone into her childlike tantrums or something and Heka would have likely given her the runaround or mislead her in a way that would have safeguarded Tedd's eligibility but no, she's been honest and respectful towards Heka and so Heka's going to reciprocate and tell her what she needs to know.

I believe him being honest on this page. I also believe Pandora WOULD find some way to make him regret being manipulative, ESPECIALLY if he would call attention to it by saying he's honest now. So, yes, he was testing her on previous pages, but he also wanted her opinion about Tedd.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

If it turns out that she can't fully tell Tedd everything, she might not like it, but she'll probably do the right thing.

Actually, Pandora seem she accepted that he will NOT tell her the second purpose.

52 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Speculation: Heka has immediate as-if-from-memory access to all written records. However, he doesn't have infinite ability to pay attention to all that stuff. And can't with 100% reliability instantly collect all relevant facts about a situation... kind of like real people's memories. So basically, anything that he realizes he needs to know, he knows (if it is, or ever was, written down, on anything from clay tally-ledgers to computer screens) - but if he doesn't realize he needs to know it, and doesn't go after it through random curiosity, he doesn't know it.

Possible. Would explain how he knows about Tedd without leaving Egypt - if he has access to all DGB files about Tedd ...

And would explain how he's library. Especially if that "all written records" includes everything which WAS written, no matter what happened to it.

(Note that stuff written on HDD and/or SSD likely count as well, he doesn't need to wait for it being displayed on monitor.)

6 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Actually, Pandora seem she accepted that he will NOT tell her the second purpose.

She might not have decided yet, she's at least willing to learn about the first purpose and the missed ability and see where that goes, it's possible she might still insist on knowing what the second purpose is, but then agree that it's best not to tell Tedd about it, maybe learning about the missed ability will cause her to figure out what the second purpose is on her own. I wonder if the mysterious glow that Tedd's produced on occasion is related to it.

8 minutes ago, Scotty said:
25 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

She might not have decided yet, she's at least willing to learn about the first purpose and the missed ability and see where that goes, it's possible she might still insist on knowing what the second purpose is, but then agree that it's best not to tell Tedd about it, maybe learning about the missed ability will cause her to figure out what the second purpose is on her own.

Right. Let me rephrase: Pandora seems to stop pushing the issue.

9 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I wonder if the mysterious glow that Tedd's produced on occasion is related to it.

It is definitely related to him being seer. But because we don't know what is the first purpose, hard to see which one it's related to.

57 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Even with that rephrase, I'd still say the same thing, there's nothing here that says Pandora would be satisfied with just knowing the first purpose and that other ability, just that she's satisfied that Heka is being honest with her. The unfortunate thing is we probably wont know if she was told or not until it comes time for Dan to reveal the second purpose to us, which may not be when Dan reveals the first purpose and ability.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

It is definitely related to him being seer. But because we don't know what is the first purpose, hard to see which one it's related to.

It's purely speculation, but maybe the ability can only do so much for most seers which would be enough for the first purpose, but being morally good unlocks that ability's true potential which allows for the second purpose. But yeah, we should learn what the purpose and ability is first.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:
4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Even with that rephrase, I'd still say the same thing, there's nothing here that says Pandora would be satisfied with just knowing the first purpose and that other ability, just that she's satisfied that Heka is being honest with her.

Yes. The rephrase just shows I'm not in that big disagreement with you now.

The unfortunate thing is we probably wont know if she was told or not until it comes time for Dan to reveal the second purpose to us, which may not be when Dan reveals the first purpose and ability.

The second purpose will CERTAINLY be revealed later than the first one. I think Dan wants to keep Tedd eligible even more than Heka.

It's purely speculation, but maybe the ability can only do so much for most seers which would be enough for the first purpose, but being morally good unlocks that ability's true potential which allows for the second purpose. But yeah, we should learn what the purpose and ability is first.

It's speculation but partially confirmed by Heka's wording that being morally good is NOT needed for second purpose BUT it's needed for second purpose being used in way Heka agrees with. Morally bad person CAN be eligible AND Heka will do what he can to make him NOT eligible.

Lord Tedd migh've been eligible AND used his second purpose AND the result made him Lord Tedd. Although I suspect that the problem wasn't him not being morally good but him not being sound mind.

Been gone for a couple of weeks, but I'm back now.

Wow, this is so interesting. Reading the last few comics have gotten me really excited. Maybe I'm weird but I love learning about cosmologies and mythologies. Mesopotamian, Norse, Chinese, Vodun, Egyptian, East African, American Indian and now Danian.

I think the most important revelations of the last few comics are that there are immortals in Dan's cosmology who are not "Immortals". In this comic this particular an Immortal with 'The Mantle of Heka" means that some of these other Immortals either take the aspect of, or directly influenced, human mythology***. Also Heka implied that there is more then one seer (I'll admit that 'your seer' is a slightly ambiguous statement). But perhaps the most important revelation in this comic is the heavily implied statement that there is an entire class of Immortal in Dan's cosmology which are/can be vastly more powerful than Pandora, who as far as we know is the most powerful being we have been introduced to before now.

***And throws Jerry's statement of 'pissing contests between two immortals named Zeus running in to one another' in an entirely new light. Up until now we've never met an immortal with the name of a God. The closest is Pandora but in mythology Pandora was a human. She also goes by Raven which could be referring to the American Indian spirit, but her current life seems to have been mostly European descended/influenced: e.g. Huginn and Muninn are companions of Odin, not Gods themselves.

12 hours ago, Evilbob said:

Oh yeah. And also, I like the term "fairy". Think I'm just going to call all the "immortals" fairies from now on.

Please to note that in this context fairy and fey are not the same thing.

12 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Dresden Files aren't only one which presents fairies as dangerous.

Folklore presents Fairies as dangerous, though most people are only familiar pop-culture references and not folklore itself. 

Heck I have caught people reference something as part of the myth/folklore because they are familiar with it from D&D. Even if it was changed for the game, or created by it. Kobolds in D&D 3.0 onwards being a prime example of people thinking the game version is the folklore origins.

The Bible has a lot of stuff that seems to put women down beginning with Eve, but at least Eve gets created as a companion for Adam. In the ancient Greek religion, Pandora, the first woman, is created by the gods to punish men! And you must admit, our Pandora is pretty much into punishing those she believes deserve such.

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Pandora's mortal husband, the father of Adrian Raven, was Blaike Raven.

... Yeah, and that.

13 hours ago, Dabat said:

Also Heka implied that there is more then one seer (I'll admit that 'your seer' is a slightly ambiguous statement).

I would say "is" in general sense, not necessary in present. I mean, personally I assume there are more seers in present, but I don't count what Heka said as confirmation.

And throws Jerry's statement of 'pissing contests between two immortals named Zeus running in to one another' in an entirely new light.

Not really. Those two in pissing content were likely both fairies. Also, existence of other immortals doesn't mean some gods weren't actually fairy - it just suggest not all were.

there is an entire class of Immortal in Dan's cosmology which are/can be vastly more powerful than Pandora

Not so sure about this either. From what Heka said, I would actually suspect that while generally his class of immortal is more powerful than fairies, he is not entirely convinced he would win without the help of fairy law limiting Pandora's options.

11 hours ago, mlooney said:

Please to note that in this context fairy and fey are not the same thing.

Not necessary, but we don't have it confirmed yet. The question what "fey" means in EGS is still completely open - it may even not been used as proper term.

8 hours ago, Sjmcc13 said:

Heck I have caught people reference something as part of the myth/folklore because they are familiar with it from D&D. Even if it was changed for the game, or created by it. Kobolds in D&D 3.0 onwards being a prime example of people thinking the game version is the folklore origins.

Well, in most cases, mythology offers more options than games so assuming something from game is from mythology usually works. For example, while mythology offers "small" elves similar to fairies, that's actually later development and previous Norse elves resembled Tolkien ones.

8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

The Bible has a lot of stuff that seems to put women down beginning with Eve, but at least Eve gets created as a companion for Adam.

There is also Lilith, although she was punished for her preferred sex position and this punishment apparently included not being mentioned in Bible. (Yes, I know I'm simplifying.)

but in mythology Pandora was a human

Actually, she possibly was goddess before being human. But that doesn't matter: Pandora's name was inspired by Pandora's box, implying Pandora herself doesn't know (or care) about origin of Pandora myth. (In fact, the mistranslation of pithos to box is from 16th century, which suggests Pandora is younger than expected.)

8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

In the ancient Greek religion, Pandora, the first woman, is created by the gods to punish men!

Punish men AFTER Prometheus brought them fire, which raises question what exactly were men doing before that ... and how many of them were.

I wish I knew the particular Hieroglyphic language from which Dan translated this conversation.

If this is Classic Hieroglyphic Coptic or Demotic, the translation is straightforward.  But if this is in Hieratic, Pandora's "Please Tell Me..." line in Panel seven could be requesting another use of the tongue.