• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

Story Wednesday April 12, 2017

Yeah, my recon trainer would have my hide now.  Need to go find some barbed wire trip nets and crawl under them while taking azimuth readings.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Apologies. A wee bit tired here.

My empathies, I actually took a short nap during lunch hour at my workplace because I was feeling under the weather.

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

Voltaire, on the other hand, is freaking evil.

As I said in the previous thread, Dan's said that Pandora is the least likely to be chaotic, Voltaire on the other hand, "Plan CM" seems to be on track for creating lots of chaos.

While his goals don't make him personally seem chaotic, I do wonder what he'd be like if he succeeds. He complained that Immortals had restricted themselves into impotence, and today's comic not only shows that Voltaire planning is kinda chaotic and even Immortal hindsight isn't 20/20, but what he's set in motion seems to be done with the hopes that it would force Immortals to drop Immortal law and break the restrictions, allowing Voltaire to mess with mortals in ways he couldn't do before.

On April 12, 2017 Dan said:

it's possible Voltaire's a bad guy. Maybe even a little evil?

Voltaire is doing some evil things.  But even more than evil, I think he is desperate.

NOW THEY WILL LISTEN TO ME!  NOW THEY WILL REGRET HUMILIATING ME!!!

Yes he had a plan.  But it wasn't much of a plan because it failed to account for Tedd's reaction.  Now he is scrambling.

As Mike Tyson so eloquently stated, "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth."

When Ashley kicked the Fútbol at Tara, she actually punched Voltaire in the mouth.

I'm beginning to think that Tedd's "Dangerous Rarity" has more to do with what his second purpose as a seer is. The first purpose and the missed ability that Heka is fine with telling Pandora about must be pretty tame compared what the second purpose is supposed be.

It's like what Tedd's doing now with his known ability is fine, no harm being done, if he happens to learn of his other ability it shouldn't be a big deal. But if he happens to get into a situation that triggers his second purpose and he's not in the right frame of mind? Things could go very badly, and that's what would make it dangerous.

Ok. We can assume Voltaire knows about the second purpose.

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Yes he had a plan.  But it wasn't much of a plan because it failed to account for Tedd's reaction.  Now he is scrambling.

Everything he did as part of plan A was failure, surprisingly it still worked. And he seems taking credit for that. His planing process doesn't seem completely sane ...

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

I'm beginning to think that Tedd's "Dangerous Rarity" has more to do with what his second purpose as a seer is. The first purpose and the missed ability that Heka is fine with telling Pandora about must be pretty tame compared what the second purpose is supposed be.

It's like what Tedd's doing now with his known ability is fine, no harm being done, if he happens to learn of his other ability it shouldn't be a big deal. But if he happens to get into a situation that triggers his second purpose and he's not in the right frame of mind? Things could go very badly, and that's what would make it dangerous.

I suspect that the thing which triggers his second purpose is the magic reset.

Also, I suspect that we already saw how bad it can go. Lord Tedd.

Regarding Voltaire, remember what Pandora told the Emissary: What gets an Immortal reset is doing something that they think breaks Immortal law. Can we say "gigantic loophole?" Sure we can. One similarity between Voltaire and General Shade Tail is that they both see mortals as at best pets--inferior beings. There's an awful lot of proof of what real mortals can do when they believe they are superior beings, or striving for a superior cause. 

Moving on to speculations that aren't as disturbing, what seems to be approaching is some kind of big battle at the mall erupting during Friday's get-together between Susan and Diane. Keeping in mind what Arthur Arthur said in his last appearance, I wonder if he's actually in cahoots with Voltaire, or at least being manipulated by our least-favorite Immortal. Why the Mall? Well, for one thing, The Shive has already used it twice, recently, so he might be able to re-use some backgrounds. For another, it's a place where there would be many eyewitnesses. For a third, the Mall can provide plausible excuses for anyone to be there even if they aren't spying on Susan and/or Diane. For a fourth, Plan CM depends on a bunch of vampires, so our vampire hunters don't have to commute to the battle.

Speaking of Lord Tedd, could it be that he's trying to eliminate the other Tedds to keep them from bringing about whatever disaster he brought upon his own world?

7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Plan CM depends on a bunch of vampires, so our vampire hunters don't have to commute to the battle.

While I do agree that Dan seems to be leading the story to having crap hit the fan at the Mall, there is one thing that might not make it so. The the fact that Sirleck is targeting the big vampire attack on Adrian Raven. Of course the big question is why would Adrian be at the mall? Maybe Noah's with him buying something, maybe someone (or something) lures him out there, I dunno, it's not really clear at the moment, but as Dan said "It's Wednesday morning".

Voltaire told Abner his plan would make this world a better place. While there are all sorts of evil ways to interpret that, one that would fit is a world with less vampires and certainly one without Sirleck. This could win him Brownie points with the "they" who are supposed to finally listen to him.

As for why Adrian would be at the Mall, why not? Looking for a new cat toy for Max? Giving Noah a ride because letting Noah fly there would be a bad idea? Cinnabon?

Something to note: The only time the entire Circle of Eight have been together all at once was Grace's Birthday Party. Susan hasn't fought in any of the big battles. Her contribution against the Goo was calling Nanase in and summoning her sword, which she never used. She didn't figure in Painted Black at all, or fight against Abraham or against the bloodgrem Abraham summoned into her school. Susan didn't fight not-Tengu, and made no appearance at all in So a Date at the Mall except in a flashback. 

As for why Adrian would be at the Mall, why not? Looking for a new cat toy for Max? Giving Noah a ride because letting Noah fly there would be a bad idea? Cinnabon?
Needing more Player/Pimp outfits...
Something to note: The only time the entire Circle of Eight have been together all at once was Grace's Birthday Party.
I thought they were all together for the Ellen creation debriefing as well.

18 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

One similarity between Voltaire and General Shade Tail is that they both see mortals as at best pets--inferior beings.

I suppose you meant Voltaire and Damien. General Shade Tail was talking about pets only ONCE and I'm pretty sure he was talking about the specific relationship Nioi described as being voluntary servant and not in general "humans are pets" sense.

19 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Keeping in mind what Arthur Arthur said in his last appearance, I wonder if he's actually in cahoots with Voltaire, or at least being manipulated by our least-favorite Immortal.

I don't think whatever Voltaire plans would be consistent with Arthur Arthur goals. But yes he might be manipulated by him.

11 hours ago, Scotty said:

The the fact that Sirleck is targeting the big vampire attack on Adrian Raven. Of course the big question is why would Adrian be at the mall?

How far is the mall from Adrian's house? It's possible vampire attack itself will lure him closer to mall. Dan might plan to get everyone into the mall, but he doesn't need Sirleck to actively follow the same plan.

9 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Susan hasn't fought in any of the big battles. Her contribution against the Goo was calling Nanase in and summoning her sword, which she never used.

I'm pretty sure she's using her sword here. Hard to see between the text and edge of panel but what else would she be doing? And she probably used it more of-panel.

9 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

She didn't figure in Painted Black at all

Justin brough her to Ellen. She then was at Tedd's house, commented that Justin should think and made out-of-character note and let let Justing make her ponytails. Sure, she wasn't actually FIGHTING, but she was in the story.

9 hours ago, Sjmcc13 said:

She didn't figure in Painted Black at all

Susan was there, trapped under Jeremy. Actually, all eight are on this page. Susan was missing at the meeting after fight with fire dude, though.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

How far is the mall from Adrian's house? It's possible vampire attack itself will lure him closer to mall. Dan might plan to get everyone into the mall, but he doesn't need Sirleck to actively follow the same plan.

We know Adrian is a 15 minute walk from Tedd's, don't know which direction it is in relation to the mall though, walking 15 minutes could take you a mile maybe, depending on how fast you walk (average walking speed being 3.1mph, Nanase could probably jog it in 5-10 minutes). Considering we've seen none of the characters walk to the mall, it's probably more than a couple miles, might be a 15-20 minute drive.

On 4/12/2017 at 8:23 AM, mlooney said:

"Hello, would you be interested in my 1518-pages manifesto on why goatees are the best beard?"

47 minutes ago, detrius said:
On 04/12/2017 at 8:23 AM, mlooney said:

"Hello, would you be interested in my 1518-pages manifesto on why goatees are the best beard?"

I don't think he has 1518-pages manifesto. I think he copied the look from Commander Spock.

640?cb=20090220220251&path-prefix=en

22 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I suppose you meant Voltaire and Damien. General Shade Tail was talking about pets only ONCE and I'm pretty sure he was talking about the specific relationship Nioi described as being voluntary servant and not in general "humans are pets" sense.

Also, isn't Nioi part animal?  The "pets" comment could have something to do with that as well.

Just now, chridd said:
22 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Also, isn't Nioi part animal?  The "pets" comment could have something to do with that as well.

True, part skunk I think.