• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

Story Monday April 17, 2017

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2336

presumably, after cache expires. It is already on http://www.egscomics.com/

Sooo ... Susan got "summon multiple things at once" upgrade for her spell. Did she also get some new spell? And/or spell upgrades? Is the "full immersion into fairy" upgrade she got or was it always there?

You know, hkmaly, if you had dated this thread properly, I wouldn't have bothered starting a new one. *sigh*

29 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Referring to The Shive's commentary, isn't Sarah's not-date the same Friday as the meeting between Susan and Diane? Gee, I wonder if Sam and Sarah will go to the Mall...

Doesn't everyone? Moperville has a vibrant and thriving mall business scene, unlike the rest of the country. Its citizens can't understand what's wrong with other malls across the nation.

2 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Doesn't everyone? Moperville has a vibrant and thriving mall business scene, unlike the rest of the country. Its citizens can't understand what's wrong with other malls across the nation.

Perhaps it's related to having a video store that's still in business. Now there's evidence of magic!

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

You know, hkmaly, if you had dated this thread properly, I wouldn't have bothered starting a new one. *sigh*

Two words: mind slips. I guess...

47 minutes ago, mlooney said:

The Dan seems to have a bit of trouble staying on one sub tread of late.  Not sure if that is a good thing or not.

Good for content, bad for pacing (so much)

Just now, hkmaly said:

Sooo ... Susan got "summon multiple things at once" upgrade for her spell. Did she also get some new spell? And/or spell upgrades? Is the "full immersion into fairy" upgrade she got or was it always there?

She can summon weapons with special attributes now as well so that'd be an upgrade to an existing spell I think.

As for the fairies, Dan's probably waiting for a more appropriate moment to show Susan going first person mode with a fairy, I dunno if that would be in this arc, though I wouldn't be surprised if she does it to show Diane "Ooh ooh, can you use a fairy like Nanase?".

For some reason, I find it amusing that Justin feels like he's trapped with a ticking timebomb around his head in the last panel.

2 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Perhaps it's related to having a video store that's still in business. Now there's evidence of magic!

As has been pointed out many times, there are still video rental places, most prominent chain in the MoperNaperville area is Family Video.  And there are also several Malls still in existence in this area of the suburbs, including Woodfield which is two to three stories tall and has a store devoted to Anime.

The It's kind of curious that Justin would be worried about spellbooks. Does he have one now? He's been Awakened for quite awhile; he's eligible.

My current guess is the next change of scene will be built around Diane, maybe with her encountering Justin the next day at school. You know, two, three months from now, after Justin finishes talking about Susan's hair.

Justin is an endless barrel of distraction...   (rats, was going to add a "demonic duck" emoticon but it looks like emoticons are broken/blank)

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

The It's kind of curious that Justin would be worried about spellbooks. Does he have one now? He's been Awakened for quite awhile; he's eligible.

He's only been awakened for 5 days in comic. Pandora awakened him Friday at the card tournament. Justin also believes that his power is due to ASMA training and not having awakened, Edward apparently thought so as well as he didn't even test to see if Justin awakened. Heck I know it's not Edward's job, but considering his involvement with keeping tabs on Tedd's friends, but I think he dropped the ball for not being more thorough about finding out why Justin suddenly got extra strong when fighting the first fire golem.

I dunno if we'll see more of Justin and Susan this week or if Dan's going to jump to someone else Wednesday. I'm hoping we get another day of Justin and Susan though, it seems like an opportunity for Susan to ask Justin about Diane, just like Diane got a bit insight about what Susan's like off camera from Ellen. Although... I'm not entirely sure if Justin's noticed the same change in behaviour that Ellen and Nanase have in Diane, what he tells Susan might not jive well.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

He's only been awakened for 5 days in comic. Pandora awakened him Friday at the card tournament. Justin also believes that his power is due to ASMA training and not having awakened, Edward apparently thought so as well as he didn't even test to see if Justin awakened. Heck I know it's not Edward's job, but considering his involvement with keeping tabs on Tedd's friends, but I think he dropped the ball for not being more thorough about finding out why Justin suddenly got extra strong when fighting the first fire golem.

We don't know when Pandora awake Justin...Just that it was at or before last friday.

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

We don't know when Pandora awake Justin...Just that it was at or before last friday.

This is where things get confusing though. Yes we know that awakening has an affect on the body, Nanase's magic boobs, Susan's growth spurt, and presumably Justin's abs. We know that it's not instant as it was a couple months after Susan awakened that she cursed her height so it would have been gradual over time. So it'd be easy to think that Pandora could have awakened Justin a month or so earlier and his abs developed in that time.

But what motivation would Pandora have had a month or so ago to awaken Justin, she wasn't even paying attention to what happened in New and Old Flames or else she would have known that someone else was pulling strings even during the first fire golem encounter, and we know about her attention span from her reaction to seeing Rhoda having awakened on her own. We can't really assume that after seeing that Rhoda awakened she went to check on Justin, was disappointed that he hadn't yet, and decided to do it for him? Well, she couldn't have.

Pandora had opportunity and motive at the card tournament though, motive to mess with Luke by letting him believe Justin had a mark and awaken Justin before he could check. And I don't mean a minute before Justin took off his shirt either, Pandora could have noticed Luke the moment he walked into the store and asked Justin about kicking the fire golem, then maybe overheard Luke's conversation about it....Dammit we need to have an NP or story arc or something dedicated to showing us when Pandora marked Luke and how he met his friends. Suddenly I got a feeling Pandora could have awakened Justin around that time expecting Luke to want to meet him and check.

12 minutes ago, Scotty said:

This is where things get confusing though. Yes we know that awakening has an affect on the body, Nanase's magic boobs, Susan's growth spurt, and presumably Justin's abs. We know that it's not instant as it was a couple months after Susan awakened that she cursed her height so it would have been gradual over time. So it'd be easy to think that Pandora could have awakened Justin a month or so earlier and his abs developed in that time.

But what motivation would Pandora have had a month or so ago to awaken Justin, she wasn't even paying attention to what happened in New and Old Flames or else she would have known that someone else was pulling strings even during the first fire golem encounter, and we know about her attention span from her reaction to seeing Rhoda having awakened on her own. We can't really assume that after seeing that Rhoda awakened she went to check on Justin, was disappointed that he hadn't yet, and decided to do it for him? Well, she couldn't have.

Pandora had opportunity and motive at the card tournament though, motive to mess with Luke by letting him believe Justin had a mark and awaken Justin before he could check. And I don't mean a minute before Justin took off his shirt either, Pandora could have noticed Luke the moment he walked into the store and asked Justin about kicking the fire golem, then maybe overheard Luke's conversation about it....Dammit we need to have an NP or story arc or something dedicated to showing us when Pandora marked Luke and how he met his friends. Suddenly I got a feeling Pandora could have awakened Justin around that time expecting Luke to want to meet him and check.

Why would Pandora awaken Justin earlier?  Don't know.  All we know for certain.  is Justin was Awakened at some point before Luke looked at him.  Anything else is speculation.  Pandora could have awakened Justin days, weeks, even months before the comics tournament. 

Justin has gotten more muscular over the previous months.  He didn't just *boing* and fill out at the comics shop.  That suggests but does not prove that Justin has been Awake for months. 

1 minute ago, Vorlonagent said:

Why would Pandora awaken Justin earlier?  Don't know.  All we know for certain.  is Justin was Awakened at some point before Luke looked at him.  Anything else is speculation.  Pandora could have awakened Justin days, weeks, even months before the comics tournament. 

Justin has gotten more muscular over the previous months.  He didn't just *boing* and fill out at the comics shop.  That suggests but does not prove that Justin has been Awake for months. 

I'm just hung up on the why more than the when really (though the when is certainly relevant). Pandora has reasons for doing things and just awakening Justin on a whim doesn't make sense, if she expected the subject of Justin's mark to come up later, then she probably does have motive to do something about it ahead of time.

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I'm just hung up on the why more than the when really (though the when is certainly relevant). Pandora has reasons for doing things and just awakening Justin on a whim doesn't make sense, if she expected the subject of Justin's mark to come up later, then she probably does have motive to do something about it ahead of time.

Pandora is nigh-omniscient.  She might have seen the possible Justin-Luke meeting coming.  She "warned" Luke ahead of time not to look at Tedd, so we are agreed that Pandora likes trolling Luke...

I know we have a scene of Justin at his PE locker with the Mark on his back but I don't remember where that comic is. It would be the last point where we know Justin was marked not awakened.  Anytime after that is fair game.

I think The Shive actually called Justin's awakening "mysterious" in one of His commentaries, so maybe even He does not know when or how it came to pass. However, we do know that Justin got to be friends with Elliot first and then with Nanase when he started training with Elliot at Greg's dojo. Those things were revealed when Justin and Susan were down in the basement together during Grace's birthday party a little bit before they kissed and Susan began sliding up Justin's top. During Justin's narration there's a flashback image of Diane seemingly spreading the word that Justin is gay, and that's before the image of Justin and Nanase together at school with Diane extracting money from an anonymous boy in the background.

14 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I blame being tired. I also originally wrote that she got upgrade for clothes, posted then realized NANASE did got that update, so edited it out.

11 hours ago, Scotty said:

She can summon weapons with special attributes now as well so that'd be an upgrade to an existing spell I think.

Meanwhile, this upgrade I forgot.

13 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:
13 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Referring to The Shive's commentary, isn't Sarah's not-date the same Friday as the meeting between Susan and Diane? Gee, I wonder if Sam and Sarah will go to the Mall...

There is only one problem: sure, lot of people are visiting the mall, but ... they are not exactly buying so much.

11 hours ago, Scotty said:

For some reason, I find it amusing that Justin feels like he's trapped with a ticking timebomb around his head in the last panel.

It's not TICKING. When the fairies time out, they don't explode. They only explode on command. More like radio mine.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:
7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Pandora MENTIONED she awakened him, but she didn't directly said it was that day. He may be awakened longer. The rest of it still holds, though. Especially the "why didn't Edward scanned Justin" ...

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

While that's true, IMHO she always planed to awaken all people she marked. It is likely she were checking them from time to time, and just because nothing happened at that time (and we didn't saw it in comics) doesn't mean she didn't noticed they have enough energy now and awakened them.

40 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

To be fair, he MIGHT be getting more muscular just because being marked. Or it could be because he was awakened ...

18 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

She "warned" Luke ahead of time not to look at Tedd, so we are agreed that Pandora likes trolling Luke...

Not only Luke. She likes trolling in general. She wanted to troll Sarah and she LIKES Sarah.

15 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

To be fair, he MIGHT be getting more muscular just because being marked. Or it could be because he was awakened ...

I thought about this.  being Marked didn't seem to do much for Susan's height, whereas being Awakened did.

15 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

It's not TICKING. When the fairies time out, they don't explode. They only explode on command. More like radio mine.

Ok a sensitive bomb, the kind that goes off with a good bump. He's worried that if Susan's not kept in a good mood, BOOM! Kinda like how Ellen was worried about Tedd learning about his mother.

3 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:
20 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I thought about this.  being Marked didn't seem to do much for Susan's height, whereas being Awakened did.

I had thought about the possibility of Tedd being wrong about being awakened having an affect on a person's body as well, but then the fact that Susan had her mark for a year and a half threw that out the window.

Continuing on from my last post when I left off to look at Vorlogent's new post, what I'm really more interested in than when Justin awakened or was marked (had to be after the party because his girl-top would have shown his mark if he'd had it then) is why Diane came across as so hostile to Justin earlier and how she might feel about him now. Justin didn't become a close friend of Nanase's until after he was outed and started training at Greg's dojo, but Diane's very earliest panel indicates she was dissing him before that happened. Jealousy over Justin getting close to Nanase when Diane could not couldn't be her original motivation.

Quite awhile ago I posted that maybe Diane's original problem with Justin was that Diane really wanted to date him before she found out he was gay. Still sounds plausible to me. But maybe it was something else. Nothing about Diane's adoptive parents has been revealed. What if her adoptive parents split up because her adoptive father came out? That would shed a whole new light on one of Diane's earliest remarks, that one about Justin being a "defective male."

There may be yet another Diane shoe to drop: What exactly is she feeling about Charlotte now? Could it be something more than gratitude and shame for how Diane treated Charlotte before Charlotte saved her life?

Cuts from scenes with Susan to scenes with Diane have happened before. It would fit very well now. I just think it would be very interesting and symmetrical for Justin to be in it. Rhoda, Lucy, Nanase, and Ellen have all had one-on-ones with Diane; kinda seems Justin's turn is due, or overdue. Of course, it could be an internal dialogue, with or without Angel Diane and Devil Diane.

51 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Ok a sensitive bomb, the kind that goes off with a good bump. He's worried that if Susan's not kept in a good mood, BOOM! Kinda like how Ellen was worried about Tedd learning about his mother.

That bomb was only metaphorical. THIS bombs are quite real. Although Susan is not likely to actually detonate them and the unsummoning luckily seem to require conscious though ...

Also note that Justin is not really afraid they detonate, he just tries to use it as distraction.

38 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Quite awhile ago I posted that maybe Diane's original problem with Justin was that Diane really wanted to date him before she found out he was gay. Still sounds plausible to me. But maybe it was something else. Nothing about Diane's adoptive parents has been revealed. What if her adoptive parents split up because her adoptive father came out? That would shed a whole new light on one of Diane's earliest remarks, that one about Justin being a "defective male."

I think that first boy she seriously wanted to date is Elliot. She might've wanted to get some money from Justin just like from other boys ... but he won't buy her stuff and he'll scare away guys who would. So ... her opinion of Justin might be completely based on other boys reaction to him.

Also, I don't remember her adoptive parents splitting up.