• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

Story Monday April 17, 2017

53 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I think that first boy she seriously wanted to date is Elliot. She might've wanted to get some money from Justin just like from other boys ... but he won't buy her stuff and he'll scare away guys who would. So ... her opinion of Justin might be completely based on other boys reaction to him.

I wouldn't rule out jealousy based on Diane's platonic crush on Nanase...

59 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

That bomb was only metaphorical. THIS bombs are quite real. Although Susan is not likely to actually detonate them and the unsummoning luckily seem to require conscious though ...

We saw a bit of the metaphorical aspect in action when Nanase and Ellen eventually did tell Susan about Diane. That could have gone a lot worse if Jerry wasn't mentioned or if Susan angry enough to decide young Jerry broke the vow and lied or something (I dunno if she's aware of how vows work). And yeah she would have to actively unsummon then and apparently Little Nase just went away on her own during the major angst induced awakening, so Justin doesn't have anything to worry about in that regard, but he didn't know that so he was very overly nervous about it because what if Susan got mad enough that she decided to make the fairies pop around Justin's head, an angst induced event could be very bad.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I blame being tired. I also originally wrote that she got upgrade for clothes, posted then realized NANASE did got that update, so edited it out.

Eh, I was tired, too. Sorry about the sour comment, I just felt silly when I started a new thread only to see that you had already done that but misdated it.

2 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I think that first boy she seriously wanted to date is Elliot. She might've wanted to get some money from Justin just like from other boys ... but he won't buy her stuff and he'll scare away guys who would. So ... her opinion of Justin might be completely based on other boys reaction to him.

I wouldn't rule out jealousy based on Diane's platonic crush on Nanase...

I wouldn't rule it either if not for the timeframe. At least Tom Sewell claims she was dissing him before he got close to Nanase (although he didn't added references so ... was there earlier flashback showing Diane than this?).

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

That bomb was only metaphorical. THIS bombs are quite real. Although Susan is not likely to actually detonate them and the unsummoning luckily seem to require conscious though ...

We saw a bit of the metaphorical aspect in action when Nanase and Ellen eventually did tell Susan about Diane. That could have gone a lot worse if Jerry wasn't mentioned or if Susan angry enough to decide young Jerry broke the vow and lied or something (I dunno if she's aware of how vows work).

Looking at that image, it seems that Susan is about to slap holder of black belt. She does NOT summon any of her weapons. That suggests that she will not normally reach for magic if angry - although she DOES reach for magic immediately when hearing about vampires. IF she got angry - and she doesn't seem to - she might slap Justin (or headbutt him again) but probably wouldn't think about detonating the fairies.

(Hmmm ... now I wonder if Nanase has better reactions than Justin and would dodge that slap.)

59 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I blame being tired. I also originally wrote that she got upgrade for clothes, posted then realized NANASE did got that update, so edited it out.

Eh, I was tired, too. Sorry about the sour comment, I just felt silly when I started a new thread only to see that you had already done that but misdated it.

No problem.

40 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

At least Tom Sewell claims she was dissing him before he got close to Nanase (although he didn't added references so ... was there earlier flashback showing Diane than this?).

2 hours ago, Scotty said:
  1. Diane gossiping about Justin after he was outed (third row, first panel)
  2. Justin gets into a fight. Note that the third panel in the top row is a cropped copy of the panel above.
  3. Justin get to know Elliot after Elliot rescues him, and in the last panel, Elliot introduces Justin to Nanase.
  4. Justin starts training at Greg's dojo, and in the second panel of the top row, there's Diane in the background behind Justin walking with Nanase. Rhoda is in the picture too.

46 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Looking at that image, it seems that Susan is about to slap holder of black belt. She does NOT summon any of her weapons. That suggests that she will not normally reach for magic if angry - although she DOES reach for magic immediately when hearing about vampires. IF she got angry - and she doesn't seem to - she might slap Justin (or headbutt him again) but probably wouldn't think about detonating the fairies.

(Hmmm ... now I wonder if Nanase has better reactions than Justin and would dodge that slap.)

I said it could it could have gone a lot worse. In Tedd's case, the bomb Ellen was referring to was the information about his mother causing him to revert back to the way he was before Edward let him tinker with the TFG, while in Susan's case, the bomb was the potential for learning that she might be adopted sending her into another angst induced event which, while a minor one wouldn't likely have resulted in Susan being in a murderous rage, a major one probably could. Even though Susan isn't adopted, her father is still a wound that hasn't healed and it was opened again with the idea that Mr. Pompoms cheated on more than one occasion and before Susan was born even, she's probably wondered at some point in the past couple days If he's cheated multiple times, how many other half siblings could she have? How would Susan have reacted if Ellen pushed the matter beyond those text messages after she first met Diane? If Ellen so much as mentioned wondering is Susan was adopted or her dad cheated?

Also Justin couldn't dodge the headbutt because he was holding Susan within pointblack headbutting range. Nanase might have better chances but she was still sitting while Susan had stood up so Susan had some advantage there.

13 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I wouldn't rule it either if not for the timeframe. At least Tom Sewell claims she was dissing him before he got close to Nanase (although he didn't added references so ... was there earlier flashback showing Diane than this?).

Not to my knowledge.

I'll go out on a limb and claim that we have never seen Diane dissing Justin prior to his knowing Nanase, nor have we been told anything like that.  I don't think Diane has been in a comic prior to Justin knowing Nanase, so I'm making something of a safe bet. :)  

Diane could have a dislike of Justin that goes back further, but I tend to doubt it.  Not without evidence pointing toward it.

That also begs the question why would Diane look down on Justin prior to Nanase?  Is Diane homophobic?  Did she come onto him and get shot down?  The only clue we have is this.  But this comic tends to suggest there isn't much history between Diane and Justin. 

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:
15 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Not to my knowledge.

Tom was referring to the flashback Justin had just before getting zapped at Grace's birthday party. 3rd row, first panel has Diane in the foreground.

7 hours ago, Southern Cross said:

Since Diane is older than Susan (albeit by just twenty minutes) could Mrs Pompoms have broken up an existing relationship?

That's a thought that never occurred to me. Susan's mom has always been shown as the ex-wife of a philandering husband, and Edward thinks Susan's dad was a cheating cheater who cheated. But double standards aren't exclusive to men.

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

That also begs the question why would Diane look down on Justin prior to Nanase?  Is Diane homophobic?  Did she come onto him and get shot down?  The only clue we have is this.  But this comic tends to suggest there isn't much history between Diane and Justin. 

And this comic and this comic may suggest otherwise.

7 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

And this comic and this comic may suggest otherwise.

First "this comic" shows Diane being a gossip.  Like everybody else.  It illustrates pettiness but not outright ill-will.  Not by high school standards.  Kids, even high school kids, can be vicious creatures. 

Second "this comic" shows Diane making doe-eyes and a guy who is pulling money out of his wallet.  If she isn't making those eyes for the guy with the wallet, the next best explanation for me is Diane's hero-worship of Nanase.  She might be envious of how close and casual Justin's relationship is to Nanase and wanting that for herself.

You can make these comics fit a pattern of actual dislike but I'd like more solid evidence before I sign on, and a better answer to refuting evidence.  This comic shows Diane barely aware of Justin beyond "he's the gay guy".  Her focus is on Nanase. 

Diane's "Defective male companion" line next strip works just fine as a reference to Justin's gayness without reading any deep or longstanding animosity into it.

Well, Scotty's last post and my last post just passed each other, and since Scotty's post now appears before my last post it may make my last post look snotty to Vorlonagent when I put some effort into making my point diplomatically.

Now that that's out of the way, back to Justin, Susan, and Diane.

Let's say Diane runs into Justin at school. Literally. Diane's mind was on meeting Susan and all the things that could go wrong. Or maybe she's remembering that Justin was interviewed about Cheerleadra the first time Cheerleadra appeared in public. Or maybe she's zonked because she hasn't gotten much sleep. Or all of those things and maybe more. Bottom line, mind elsewhere and she plows into Justin. She looks up, because Justin is tall and Diane isn't--and Vorlonagent just replied so I'm going to see what he (or she) has to say.

4 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

You can make these comics fit a pattern of actual dislike but I'd like more solid evidence before I sign on, and a better answer to refuting evidence.  This comic shows Diane barely aware of Justin beyond "he's the gay guy".  Her focus is on Nanase. 

Diane's "Defective male companion" line next strip works just fine as a reference to Justin's gayness without reading any deep or longstanding animosity into it.

I said that Diane seems to be dissing Justin in the first flashback for a reason. Diane is in the foreground and Justin isn't, and Diane's hand is shielding her mouth from Justin, pretty much the universal sign for "I don't want that person to hear this." We don't know hear what "this" was, so The Shive is free to fill in whatever in His wisdom wants it to be now, should He in all His Wisdom deign to. But don't you wonder why Diane is pictured twice in two flashbacks when Justin isn't shown to be aware of her in either panel?

I'm going to set aside my running joke of referring to Dan as "The Shive" (as in "The Lucas") and using pseudo-biblical jargon for now. Dan's already detailed how Susan started out as a minor character and how his conception of her changed, and how Carol Brown wasn't originally Sarah's sister (more than The Lucas has admitted!). I think Dan put those Diane references into this long, long sequence of comics as story hooks. Hooks to what I don't know and I'm not sure Dan knew then, or now. In that same sequence he also put in hooks to Nioi, Lord Tedd, and visiting the real  Second Life Ellen which Dan hasn't followed up yet. But the hooks to early Diane could be used soon because Diane's character has been developing a lot and she's going to have to re-evaluate her assessment of Justin once she gets to know Susan.

Don't we all want to see Diane's head explode when she finds out Susan made out with Justin once?

OUR CONTINUING STORY

(Cue cheezy organ music, and bring back Tony Randall from the dead to narrate.)

In our last episode, Diane Surname-still-unknown, intelligent, beautiful, and often intimidating, was walking the hallways of Moperville South High School (Home of the Fighting Platypi!) when she ran into someone she didn't notice. Feeling washboard abs pressing on her slim-but-ravishing body, she looked up, and up further, and leaned back a bit to see past the chin, and now she finally recognizes...

"Justin Tolkiberry!"

"You forgot to get my name wrong," said Justin Tolkiberry, "First time. You're really out of it, aren't you? Thinking about meeting Susan tomorrow night?"

"How do you know about Susan?"

"She's my friend. We spent quite awhile last night talking about you."

Pausing to plck up her jaw from the floor, Diane...

-----

For everyone who doesn't know who Tony Randall was, I'll save you possible trips to IMDB and Wikipedia. He was a wonderful comedy actor with a very long career. He played Feiix in the TV series The Odd Couple, and before that he was in Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter with both of Mariska Hargitay's parents, He went on to make a movie with Debbie Reynolds, a movie with Marilyn Monroe, two movies with Rock Hudson and Doris Day, and back-to-back movies with Barbara Eden. He actually got Barbara Eden in the second movie, The Brass Bottle. He had a very distinctive face and a very distinctive voice.

18 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Diane gossiping about Justin after he was outed (third row, first panel)

This is the one I missed. Thanks.

18 hours ago, Scotty said:

while in Susan's case, the bomb was the potential for learning that she might be adopted sending her into another angst induced event which, while a minor one wouldn't likely have resulted in Susan being in a murderous rage, a major one probably could.

I don't think those "angst induced events" can happen so easily outside awakening. Although yes, Nanase had something similar when she got the guardian spell.

18 hours ago, Scotty said:

Also Justin couldn't dodge the headbutt because he was holding Susan within pointblack headbutting range. Nanase might have better chances but she was still sitting while Susan had stood up so Susan had some advantage there.

Nanase's dodge options are very wide (I think she's using flying in the first one).

5 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

Is Diane homophobic?

I guess technically, in the "copy-behaviour-considered-normal-to-keep-alpha-female-status-in-school" sense. Although it may just be facade ; she seem to pretend to be more "normal" than she is.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
11 hours ago, Southern Cross said:

Since Diane is older than Susan (albeit by just twenty minutes) could Mrs Pompoms have broken up an existing relationship?

That's a thought that never occurred to me. Susan's mom has always been shown as the ex-wife of a philandering husband, and Edward thinks Susan's dad was a cheating cheater who cheated. But double standards aren't exclusive to men.

It's true that the time difference in conception might've been bigger than the difference in birth ... and, in fact, the conceptions might've been in different order.

3 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

Second "this comic" shows Diane making doe-eyes and a guy who is pulling money out of his wallet.  If she isn't making those eyes for the guy with the wallet, the next best explanation for me is Diane's hero-worship of Nanase.  She might be envious of how close and casual Justin's relationship is to Nanase and wanting that for herself.

Hard to say with perspective in that image, but IMHO Diane wouldn't even notice Nanase appearing behind corner even if she would pay attention to what happens in corridor. She's making those eyes on the guy.

She MIGHT not even bother remembering his name ... unless she just pretends that.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

She looks up, because Justin is tall and Diane isn't--and Vorlonagent just replied so I'm going to see what he (or she) has to say.

On computer, you can show new posts without interrupting editing reply.

55 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Don't we all want to see Diane's head explode when she finds out Susan made out with Justin once?

Who's going to tell her ... demon duck?

Feeling washboard abs pressing on her slim-but-ravishing body, she looked up, and up further, and leaned back a bit to see past the chin, and now she finally recognizes...

I can see her face changing. "Whoa such abs ... who could that be ... should I date him? ... oh wait it's that gay."

"Justin Tolkiberry!"

She might be faking not remembering "Justin", but I don't think she knows his surname.

"How do you know about Susan?"

Stupid question. She KNOWS he knows Nanase and it was Nanase who told her about Susan. Even without knowing he knows Susan, obvious answer would be "Nanase/Ellen told him". Note that as part of gossip network, she is unlikely to be surprised informations spreads.

59 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I said that Diane seems to be dissing Justin in the first flashback for a reason. Diane is in the foreground and Justin isn't, and Diane's hand is shielding her mouth from Justin, pretty much the universal sign for "I don't want that person to hear this." We don't know hear what "this" was, so The Shive is free to fill in whatever in His wisdom wants it to be now, should He in all His Wisdom deign to. But don't you wonder why Diane is pictured twice in two flashbacks when Justin isn't shown to be aware of her in either panel?

I'd expect as easter eggs for the alert reader or re-reader.  And perhaps a bit of laziness.  Dan has complained in commentaries before that he has to do a character design for each extra he has on the comic.  If he already had the character design for Diane and it doesn't get in the way of anything why not give her a walk-on part here and there?  Dan did much the same thing with Noah and even Ellen.

Given the context of Diane's mouth-shielding, I simply assumed she was whispering about him being gay since that's kinda the point of that panel.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Dan's already detailed how Susan started out as a minor character and how his conception of her changed, and how Carol Brown wasn't originally Sarah's sister (more than The Lucas has admitted!). I think Dan put those Diane references into this long, long sequence of comics as story hooks. Hooks to what I don't know and I'm not sure Dan knew then, or now. In that same sequence he also put in hooks to Nioi, Lord Tedd, and visiting the real  Second Life Ellen which Dan hasn't followed up yet. But the hooks to early Diane could be used soon because Diane's character has been developing a lot and she's going to have to re-evaluate her assessment of Justin once she gets to know Susan.

Diane's walk-on appearances are certainly characteristic of Dan's original concept.  I'm not sure they're really story hooks as character moments.

For everyone who doesn't know who Tony Randall was, I'll save you possible trips to IMDB and Wikipedia. He was a wonderful comedy actor with a very long career. He played Feiix in the TV series The Odd Couple, and before that he was in Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter with both of Mariska Hargitay's parents, He went on to make a movie with Debbie Reynolds, a movie with Marilyn Monroe, two movies with Rock Hudson and Doris Day, and back-to-back movies with Barbara Eden. He actually got Barbara Eden in the second movie, The Brass Bottle. He had a very distinctive face and a very distinctive voice.

I'm my special case, I am indeed old enough to be familiar with Tony Randall.  :)

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Stupid question. She KNOWS he knows Nanase and it was Nanase who told her about Susan. Even without knowing he knows Susan, obvious answer would be "Nanase/Ellen told him".

Nanase/Ellen didn't tell Diane that Susan knew Justin, at least where we could hear them. Anyway, I wrote that line just to prompt Justin's reply, so saying that Diane was about to add "Did Nanase tell you we were meeting? Did Ellen?" would be an retcon.

Next amazing new crackpot plot theories:

• Justin's trying to distract Susan from thinking about Diane mostly because he doesn't want to tell her how Diane's been treating him.
  • Susan might find herself in love with Justin. They did make out, they've gotten very close to each other. And it would put Susan in the same relationship to Justin as Justin as Justin has to Elliot, or Melissa to Justin: Love that can never work out.
  • Carol will finally be on-scene for a weird incident--getting attacked by a vampire.

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Nanase's dodge options are very wide (I think she's using flying in the first one).

Yeah, but she's usually already in motion or at least prepared to use said options, being seated on a couch in close proximity to another person (Ellen beside her) and breakable objects nearby would limit her ability to jump out of the way, she'd be more likely to just block a punch than dodge it.

8 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I guess technically, in the "copy-behaviour-considered-normal-to-keep-alpha-female-status-in-school" sense. Although it may just be facade ; she seem to pretend to be more "normal" than she is.

Yeah, if she really was homophobic, she wouldn't be comfortable hanging out with Nanase and Ellen, also she cares about Rick who's gay so it most certainly had to have been an act.

Lucy on the other hand is harder to tell if it's an act or not, or maybe she's in denial more than Nanase was. Maybe Lucy's like George? Gives Rhoda a hard time but secretly has feelings for her?

31 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Stupid question. She KNOWS he knows Nanase and it was Nanase who told her about Susan. Even without knowing he knows Susan, obvious answer would be "Nanase/Ellen told him". Note that as part of gossip network, she is unlikely to be surprised informations spreads.

Diane is also very good at deduction, and maybe Elliot and Susan have mentioned Justin in their review shows?

9 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

Diane's walk-on appearances are certainly characteristic of Dan's original concept.  I'm not sure they're really story hooks as character moments.

I'm pretty certain that by the time Diane was introduced, Dan had already decided Susan was a main character. So Diane could have been a result of wanting to give Susan's background more stuff. Just prior to Diane's introduction Dan revealed that Susan had caught her dad cheating with another woman, so maybe he already had the idea of Diane being the result of another affair? Though it still isn't 100% certain that they are sisters so maybe it's the result of people telling Dan how much Diane looked like Susan and Dan being "I can so mess with people's head here, mwahahaha!"

19 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Susan might find herself in love with Justin. They did make out, they've gotten very close to each other. And it would put Susan in the same relationship to Justin as Justin as Justin has to Elliot, or Melissa to Justin: Love that can never work out.

Susan has likely told Justin exactly how she feels about him as suggested by their IM's.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I'm pretty certain that by the time Diane was introduced, Dan had already decided Susan was a main character. So Diane could have been a result of wanting to give Susan's background more stuff. Just prior to Diane's introduction Dan revealed that Susan had caught her dad cheating with another woman, so maybe he already had the idea of Diane being the result of another affair? Though it still isn't 100% certain that they are sisters so maybe it's the result of people telling Dan how much Diane looked like Susan and Dan being "I can so mess with people's head here, mwahahaha!"

Diane may very well exist as backstory for Susan and might not exist had Susan not muscled her way into main character status. 

But I will have to correct you on one thing. Dan told us how much the two were alike.

Susan might find herself in love with Justin. They did make out, they've gotten very close to each other. And it would put Susan in the same relationship to Justin as Justin as Justin has to Elliot, or Melissa to Justin: Love that can never work out.

Elliot's love to Nanase might be better example. Except that one only needed ONE gender change, this one would need TWO.

Carol will finally be on-scene for a weird incident--getting attacked by a vampire.

Carol will FINALLY get her story - she will get Vampire attack on camera. Except it would be attacking HER. Yes, that would be likely, if there will be massive vampire attack on Moperville ...

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Yeah, but she's usually already in motion or at least prepared to use said options

Wouldn't one of lessons be "always be prepared"?

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

being seated on a couch in close proximity to another person (Ellen beside her) and breakable objects nearby would limit her ability to jump out of the way, she'd be more likely to just block a punch than dodge it.

... ok, that makes more sense.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Yeah, if she really was homophobic, she wouldn't be comfortable hanging out with Nanase and Ellen, also she cares about Rick who's gay so it most certainly had to have been an act.

I originally though it's just like swallow homophobia but you have point with Rick. And actually, it's likely it was RICK she was in love with before finding out he's gay, not Justin.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Though it still isn't 100% certain that they are sisters so maybe it's the result of people telling Dan how much Diane looked like Susan and Dan being "I can so mess with people's head here, mwahahaha!"

Yeah she may not look THAT similar to Susan in first appearances ...

14 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

But I will have to correct you on one thing. Dan told us how much the two were alike.

Well obviously them being sister was already planed at THAT point (2007). Question is how far back goes that idea? 2006? 2005? 2004? 2003? 2002?

17 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:
42 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Well obviously them being sister was already planed at THAT point (2007). Question is how far back goes that idea? 2006? 2005? 2004? 2003? 2002?

When did Susan begin evolving toward being a main character?  My guess would be here (2003)

Actually this "actually blonde" does look to be first sign of Diane-is-her-sister idea ... and Dan agrees, he also thinks this storyline sealed the deal.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Susan has likely told Justin exactly how she feels about him as suggested by their IM's.

The last panel in this one does show Susan holding Justin's hand looking happy. But this isn't really happening, it's Dan playing around while giving us something better to look at than just a bunch of text, or even Justin and Susan using their computers or smartphones to IM. Maybe Dan is suggesting that Susan is already in love with Justin but doesn't realize it yet. But I think the more important part is Justin's expression. He doesn't look happy, does he? Remember, Melissa was his best friend before he realized he was gay. He doesn't want that to happen again.

And this is "Susan, Smart Susan" to quote Justin himself. If Susan has realized her feelings for Justin are this way, I see her taking care not to let them out exactly the way she doesn't let Elliot or Sarah know her feelings for Elliot. She doesn't want to hurt her friends.

That doesn't correct me, I was saying at the time Dan introduced Diane (3 years before he has Ellen react to her) he may not have intended on the whole long lost sister possibility, but people's reactions to Diane might have inspired Ellen's reaction, and then it snowballed from there.

15 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

A bit earlier, perhaps. One of the first signs (to me at least) appears around here. (The end of 2002.)

Being taken along to the Verres house after the second Goo incident would make sense.

13 hours ago, Scotty said:

That doesn't correct me, I was saying at the time Dan introduced Diane (3 years before he has Ellen react to her) he may not have intended on the whole long lost sister possibility, but people's reactions to Diane might have inspired Ellen's reaction, and then it snowballed from there.

I'll grant the possibility but ask: Is there a Diane sighting in a comic prior to, say, 2003?   Anytime after, even if it's a flashback, the odds-on explanation for her appearance becomes Susan-connected.