• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
CritterKeeper

All of time and all of space....

29 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Or were you 51 weeks late with last year's Mothers Day greeting?

Oh no, mom would never have let me go that long without saying something.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:
4 hours ago, Price said:

The morning of April the 10th, 1912, in Southampton, England, to watch the RMS Titanic depart on her maiden voyage.

My wife would probably be standing nearby if she had the chance.

I would have like to see my Great Grandpa tell off the ticketmaster, or whoever handled boarding, after being told they were getting bumped from 2nd class to 3rd class because of overbooking. I've been told it was a very Scotish variation of "screw this, we're taking another boat."

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

I would have like to see my Great Grandpa tell off the ticketmaster, or whoever handled boarding, after being told they were getting bumped from 2nd class to 3rd class because of overbooking. I've been told it was a very Scotish variation of "screw this, we're taking another boat."

Bumped to steerage? After paying for second class? I don't think I could have managed to be that polite.

1 minute ago, The Old Hack said:

Bumped to steerage? After paying for second class? I don't think I could have managed to be that polite.

I'm pretty certain my mom downplayed it a bit when she told me. For all I know, United wasn't the only incident of bumping of paid passengers turning violent.

Just now, Scotty said:

I'm pretty certain my mom downplayed it a bit when she told me. For all I know, United wasn't the only incident of bumping of paid passengers turning violent.

I think you can pretty much take that for granted. It is enough of a trope that it once almost got Quark of Deep Space Nine lynched.

Mind you, I once had the interesting experience of getting bumped from Economy to Business Class while flying from Denmark to the US. I consider this a far better way of handling the problem. Certainly I do not expect nearly as many customer complaints will result from this method.

13 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Mind you, I once had the interesting experience of getting bumped from Economy to Business Class while flying from Denmark to the US. I consider this a far better way of handling the problem. Certainly I do not expect nearly as many customer complaints will result from this method.

Yeah, I've heard of airlines and similar offering free upgrades which is great, even buying back the ticket at full cost or even more than full cost is good too, but if a flight already has all seats full, then there's not much you can do about it. I understand the reason for overbooking, it's so that they can guarantee a full plane in the event someone cancels or is a no show, but the handling of "what happens if a plane is already full and an employee or VIP shows up wanting to get on?" still needs a lot of work.

12 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Why can't we just get Scotty to beam us were we need to be?

Because he's busy in Engineering. Lt. Kyle should be available though.

My first answer would be to the late 60s so I can recover the missing Doctor Who episodes, but that's taken. Maybe last Thursday night? I have an overdue phone bill.

11 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Hrm. Can't decide at the moment. So I'll just go to now.

That's that [redacted] scene from the [redacted][redacted][OMG Redacted] movie, isn't it?  Not even going to click to find out.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

That's that [redacted] scene from the [redacted][redacted][OMG Redacted] movie, isn't it?  Not even going to click to find out.

I am afraid so. You may as well save yourself the aggravation.

On 5/12/2017 at 0:03 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Why can't we just get Scotty to beam us were we need to be?

No, I will not beam you up, and no, I will not beam back your clothes!

;)

On 5/13/2017 at 9:38 AM, mlooney said:

You're looking at "now" now. Everything that is happening "now" is happening now.

On 5/14/2017 at 8:11 PM, ijuin said:

You're looking at "now" now. Everything that is happening "now" is happening now.

You can't see it but right "now" I am showing you figure one.  Yes, even now.  Figure one has been, is, and forever after shall be.

I would like to see the outer solar system.  Specifically, I want to confirm the existence of Planet 9 (not Pluto or another Kuiper belt object).

It would be on average about 700 times the distance from the Sun to Earth, although a highly elliptical orbit might bring it within 200 AU.

It would be dark and cold with about ten times the mass of the Earth.

I suspect a gravitationally captured Black Dwarf.  Never mind that, theoretically, Black Dwarves should not exist for a minimum of another 1015 (1 quadrillion) years.

There is some historical debate about the eventual fates of Anne Bonny and Mary Reade and their possible offspring.  I'd like to go find out whether Anne went back to her father and husband or returned to piracy and male dress, whether Mary gave birth before her death (her burial is recorded but no mention of a baby is), or whether one of them was actually Amanda from Highlander. ;-)

On 5/16/2017 at 9:21 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I suspect a gravitationally captured Black Dwarf.  Never mind that, theoretically, Black Dwarves should not exist for a minimum of another 1015 (1 quadrillion) years.

I think that you might mean Brown Dwarf. A Black Dwarf is a White Dwarf or Red Dwarf that ran out of fuel and died. A Brown Dwarf is an object that never started hydrogen fusion in the first place.

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

I think that you might mean Brown Dwarf. A Black Dwarf is a White Dwarf or Red Dwarf that ran out of fuel and died. A Brown Dwarf is an object that never started hydrogen fusion in the first place.

No.  There are known Brown Dwarfs closer to the Sun than the Red Dwarf, Wolf 359.

A Black Dwarf is a former White Dwarf star that has cooled to the background radiation temperature of interstellar space.  But as the great Wikipedia notes...

From Wikipedia:

The term black dwarf... refers to a white dwarf that has cooled to the point that it no longer emits significant amounts of light. However, the time required for even the lowest-mass white dwarf to cool to this temperature is calculated to be longer than the current age of the universe; hence such objects are thought not to exist yet.

This is why my hypo thesis seems unlikely.