• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
animalia

Gaming Webcomic

Doesn't this belong in the "General Discussion" forum?

As for its canonical status?

Maybe.

If it did happen, it was in the summer or a very warm weekend in the school year.  So that would most likely put it in the "Time Skip" period between the end of the Main Eight's Junior year and Christmas Break their Señor year.

Did Grace and Ellen hang out?  Yes.

Does Grace play video games?  Yes.

Has every one and his brother at the comic shop told Grace she "MUST" play any number of games?  Likely.

Are these the things that they actually said to each other?  Or are the conversations we are shown what they could have said to each other if they had impeccable comedic and dramatic timing?  The answer to those questions is also the answer to your question.

5 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Doesn't this belong in the "General Discussion" forum?

As for its canonical status?

Maybe.

If it did happen, it was in the summer or a very warm weekend in the school year.  So that would most likely put it in the "Time Skip" period between the end of the Main Eight's Junior year and Christmas Break their Señor year.

Did Grace and Ellen hang out?  Yes.

Does Grace play video games?  Yes.

Has every one and his brother at the comic shop told Grace she "MUST" play any number of games?  Likely.

Are these the things that they actually said to each other?  Or are the conversations we are shown what they could have said to each other if they had impeccable comedic and dramatic timing?  The answer to those questions is also the answer to your question.

Sorry still figuring out this forum. I thought it functioned for multiple webcomics and I didn't want to risk this post being in the wrong area. Anyways what has me confused is Tedd's hairstyle

4 minutes ago, animalia said:

Do you guys think the Gaming Webcomic arc is Canon or Non-Canon? If it canon when in the timeline does it take place?

I believe portions of it are canon, and occur at different points in the timeline. The parts with Grace and Ellen (#1, #2, #3) appear to be referenced in MV5, as Grace and Ellen in panel 2 are (or rather were, in the case of Grace) wearing the same clothes as the Gaming Webcomic pages, also the setting is very similar to panel 1 of link #1. That would place that portion of Gaming Webcomic sometime during the past summer. The Chrono Trigger segment shows Tedd with his current short hairstyle, which would definitely place it after the card tournament, exactly when is tough to say and it's chances of being canon are actually more questionable due to the uncertainty of the current main storyline. We see Tedd in various forms, starting with what appears to be an MV5 form (trying out what Grace, Ellen and Sarah came up with maybe), then appears in a female form, and for some reason ending with and even more androgynous form. There's a two page Skyrim segment that may or may not be canon, and if so could have happened any time in the past several months. Grace and Justin's clothing seems like a late summer or fall timeframe, not quite so hot, but not quite so cool either.

There is this one page where Grace is talking about the ability to "look up" in side scroller platform game, and while Grace is shown to be wearing the same spaghetti strap top as in the segments with Ellen, the whole presentation of the page comes across as more of a "Dan giving his opinion through Grace", all the other Gaming pages show interaction between different characters (Grace/Ellen, Grace/Tedd, Grace/Justin) and they feel like they're in character, that what they say or do is actually them saying and doing it, it feels natural.

if we compare Gaming Webcomic to Video Gaaaaames, the feel of how Grace behaves, plus how Dan presents it overall, doesn't scream "THIS IS CANON!", especially considering we have Rich and Larry, as well as Amanda making cameos, the scene with Grace announcing she's going to attempt a non-lethal run of Deus Ex couldn't possibly happen in a canon situation, and then of course we have this bit.

9 hours ago, animalia said:

Sorry still figuring out this forum. I thought it functioned for multiple webcomics and I didn't want to risk this post being in the wrong area. 

13 hours ago, animalia said:

If you want to post about matters not pertinent to EGS, that's what the Off Topic forum is for. In fact, you can more or less post about anything you like there as long as it respects the forum rules. Rumours notwithstanding, one does not actually get black marks for inadvertently being on topic in the Off Topic forums. o.O

23 hours ago, animalia said:

Sorry still figuring out this forum. I thought it functioned for multiple webcomics and I didn't want to risk this post being in the wrong area.

If you are discussing a particular, recent, EGS comic, it belongs in the Comic Discussion.

If you are discussing anything else EGS related, even ye olde comics, it belongs in the General Discussion.  "Things You Only Noticed On Reread" is a good catch-all thread if you want to make a comment about an old comic that probably won't warrant an extended discussion.

If a thread about a particular comic has not had a new post in over a week, consider it dead.  Do not add new posts to a dead thread, or Necropost as some with a taste for the macabre might say.

It is OK to add a new post to some threads in the General, Off Topic, and Games Discussions that have been inactive for an extended period.  Most threads, however, are subject to the Necropost protocol. 

Back to the subject.  If it is obviously a silly comic in the NP, like a Writer's Block story, then it isn't canon.  If Dan states that the NP story is Canon, then it is Canon.  Otherwise, if it seems like a NP story could have happened, then something like that probably did, but details may have been altered for dramatic or comedic effect.

Usually it doesn't matter too much if an NP story is canon or not, unless Susan is dissing Vampire Novels.

Edit: The Old Hack beat me by a matter of seconds. That just shows the futility of attempting to make sure the ideas expressed are in any way coherent. By the way, did you know squirrels eat nuts? Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Relevant detail added

On 04/22/2017 at 11:31 PM, Scotty said:

For the record, I consider this comic 100% canon. ;)

So do I.

6 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

"Summon hair-fairies"...

Maybe if she put some short hair in her magic chest of summoning.

If Susan did have most of her consciousness in a fairy, could she summon other things from the chest while in the doll?  Or are the Fairies as a group one summoned item, and she may still be limited to summoning one item (or group of related items) at a time?

7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If Susan did have most of her consciousness in a fairy, could she summon other things from the chest while in the doll?  Or are the Fairies as a group one summoned item, and she may still be limited to summoning one item (or group of related items) at a time?

I'm pretty certain that the multi-fairy summon is a separate spell, it might still work under the same mechanic as the original summon spell in that she can use the same container, but from what Tedd suggested about what she could potentially do with them, I wouldn't be surprised if the summon anything from a container spell split off a fairy specific version.