• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

NP, Wednesday March 30, 2016

58 minutes ago, partner555 said:

How many hours into the game would this be? Either way, I see the no kill challenge receiving its first challenge.

Among other places, there's an area where geckos will attack a side quest npc a five minute walk from your starting point.

3 hours ago, partner555 said:

How many hours into the game would this be? Either way, I see the no kill challenge receiving its first challenge.

Less than an hour (potentially as short as 5 mins, as Remnant said). And I'm assuming it's more meant to be symbolic than literal as is (ie: the goofy lizard things are just a stand in for any enemy type, really). The first time I played New Vegas bandits attacked the very starting town as soon as I was finished with the intro scripting. Was about 10 minutes, as getting through the tut took me a bit due to adjusting controls and such.

So I guess this game does not have non-lethal weapons, like tranquilizers of some sort. Not that it would not create iffy situations too...

"Don't look at me! They shouldn't be driving motorcycles while sleeping!"

"What do you mean I shouldn't tranq people that are next to a cliff? They'll be fine, the sea is down there. 100 meters is nothing, I've climbed steeper staircases."

"Well, it's not my fault that driver does not care there are people on the way."

Well, being true pacifist IS hard. Any pacifist who think it isn't is spoiled by our civilization.

Sooo ... how exactly would that strategy of "help them kill something while letting them get the actual "kill"" work? I mean, are those NPC competent enough to be able to actually kill the enemy when you help them?

Not all the time, but you could get the creature or bandit's attention and kite them around while the NPCs shoot at them, it's more time consuming than just shooting them yourself cus most of the time NPCs can't hit the broad side of a barn or they have the weakest weapons available.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Not all the time, but you could get the creature or bandit's attention and kite them around while the NPCs shoot at them, it's more time consuming than just shooting them yourself cus most of the time NPCs can't hit the broad side of a barn or they have the weakest weapons available.

That said, companions tend to be better at it than the full on NPCs.

1 hour ago, Matoyak said:

That said, companions tend to be better at it than the full on NPCs.

Yeah, because companions will pretty much always go after hostiles. NPCs may end up just cowering in a corner or running away. Though I guess someone could RP that as having distracted the hostile so that the person in distress could escape.

6 hours ago, Aura Guardian said:

That just summed up my concerns with True Pacifist runs in games not built to accommodate them.

Sadly, Aliens: Colonial Marines had a Pacifist mode. Now, you may reasonably ask what a Pacifist mode is doing in a sodding FIRST PERSON SHOOTER. I would like to know, too. The sad fact is that if you set the game to lowest difficulty you could just run through all the levels. The aliens and other enemies would all be so sluggish that they didn't react to you unless you actually shot them.

It's most certainly Sunny Smiles in the start of the game asking for help taking down some Geckos.

Who are basically Kermit the Frog.

Fallout New Vegas was a very strange setting when you take a step back and think about it.

In any case, I see no reason why she can't just waltz on down to New Vegas...

*krackathoom*

Mind the Cazadores in that one canyon I got trapped in directly from Goodsprings. They've got quite a sting...

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Well, being true pacifist IS hard. Any pacifist who think it isn't is spoiled by our civilization.

Sooo ... how exactly would that strategy of "help them kill something while letting them get the actual "kill"" work? I mean, are those NPC competent enough to be able to actually kill the enemy when you help them?

I never thought about this, but you're right. I'm glad I live in a society where my pacifism has never truly been challenged.

1 hour ago, RainbowWizard said:

It's most certainly Sunny Smiles in the start of the game asking for help taking down some Geckos.

No, there's a lady being chased by geckos that you come across while doing the tutorial quests with Sunny. The first time I played, I lost track of where Sunny went, and suddenly heard gun fire and a dog growling. When I finally got to where the sound was coming from both the lady and the Sunny's dog was dead and Sunny was not happy about it.

If the Geckos are killing someone, that someone did something to deserve getting killed.

Just stay out of the Gecko's business, Grace, and mind your own.

Od I gnihtyreve gnihctaw era sokceg esuaceb siht gnitirw ton ylniatrec ma I.

2 hours ago, Ser Pentrose said:
11 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I never thought about this, but you're right. I'm glad I live in a society where my pacifism has never truly been challenged.

Enjoy it while it lasts. Looking at news, it may turn worse.

Personally, I don't consider myself pacifist, but I'm still glad I live in a society where I'm not forced to prove the difference. In real life, there is a big gap between not being pacifist and actually being able to kill someone who is dangerous to you or others.

(Although Samuel Colt did a lot to bridge it.)

48 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Enjoy it while it lasts. Looking at news, it may turn worse.

Personally, I don't consider myself pacifist, but I'm still glad I live in a society where I'm not forced to prove the difference. In real life, there is a big gap between not being pacifist and actually being able to kill someone who is dangerous to you or others.

(Although Samuel Colt did a lot to bridge it.)

I'd be a lot more worried if I were a young male seeming person in the US rather than a middle aged female seeming person in Canada. I'm also white and appear both straight and cis, which sadly makes it a lot easier for me to feel secure.

15 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

problem is they share a border with us, if they get blown up we get hit with the shrapnel.

Point, though based on my (admittedly limited) knowledge of the situation and history the US is going to have a revolution soon. I'm both hoping and praying that it's peaceful, but sadly I doubt it.

And as for shrapnel, if nukes are involved the whole world is screwed. Should it come to that I'm selfish* enough to want to go first and quickly. Which raises the question: What are the odds that Toronto will be a prime target if there's a nuclear war?

*though it's probably at least partly my depression talking.

Revolution? I doubt it. A revolution would imply a fundamental change in the structure of a nation, when the current political situation is more a question of racial inclusion vs isolation.

Sparking another American Civil War and/or being the catalyst for the next World War though? That, I can see happening, especially since race-politics were a significant part of both last time around.

That said, I think we're getting a bit off topic. we should probably move this to a more appropriate thread.

8 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

Revolution? I doubt it. A revolution would imply a fundamental change in the structure of a nation, when the current political situation is more a question of racial inclusion vs isolation.

Sparking another American Civil War and/or being the catalyst for the next World War though? That, I can see happening, especially since race-politics were a significant part of both last time around.

That said, I think we're getting a bit off topic. we should probably move this to a more appropriate thread.

Well, I though that discussion about nuclear war IS sort of related to Fallout: New Vegas ... :)

9 hours ago, Ser Pentrose said:

Point, though based on my (admittedly limited) knowledge of the situation and history the US is going to have a revolution soon. I'm both hoping and praying that it's peaceful, but sadly I doubt it.

And as for shrapnel, if nukes are involved the whole world is screwed. Should it come to that I'm selfish* enough to want to go first and quickly. Which raises the question: What are the odds that Toronto will be a prime target if there's a nuclear war?

*though it's probably at least partly my depression talking.

There's a reason Justin Trudeau is at the Nuclear Security summit right now, he's getting ideas.

Yep Canada is sick of the world thinking of us as polite, apologetic lumberjacks. When WW3 happens, we'll be ready, and we'll make everyone apologize.....

Yeah....I couldn't keep myself from giggling as I typed that. ;)