• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#101 showler

showler

Extreme 910 Reader

• Members
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:50 AM

That last one makes no sense at all because the reason is given in the comic itself: http://www.egscomics...date=2006-08-04

#102 Mews Did 9/11

Mews Did 9/11

Supreme 910 Reader

• Banned
  • 814 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:04 PM

"Gosh, why do I have to wear clothes?" "Oh gee, how do they get the magical dragon to act in the movie?" "Golly Tedd I'm so in love with you for no real reason."

Wait, I wasn't talking about Grace though...

#103 Wyrd

Wyrd

Obsessive 910 Reader

• Members
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:09 PM

That last one makes no sense at all because the reason is given in the comic itself: http://www.egscomics...date=2006-08-04

Do you mean the original comment or my counter to it? I listed primarily mental reasons, though as Grace points out in the comic you linked, she is only primarily attracted to mental aspects; she still thinks he is physically cute as well. Their close association would conceivably speed up the formation of mental connections between them, and her own lack of prior connections also likely made it easier to fixate on Ted, though Ted has a lot going for him for anyone who can get past his shyness and deal with his rather warped imagination(I would consider it a plus, but it isn't his only plus).

Sarah has been one of the least developed members of the main cast, possibly the least developed, depending on how you define the main cast, to the point that she is almost a secondary character. As such, I am not going to complain about her getting a chance for some character development, even if it is not accompanied by appreciable character growth.

#104 showler

showler

Extreme 910 Reader

• Members
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:41 PM

Do you mean the original comment or my counter to it?

Original comment. Being, apparently, at least partly empathic gives Grace a better reason to be in love with Tedd than practically any other teenager anywhere has for being in love. She really does understand him.

Years of psychotherapy on her side probably help as well.

#105 B.T. Isaac

B.T. Isaac

Bi-weekly lurker

• Banned
  • 1,072 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:40 PM

You appear to be one of the few if not the only people who had that problem. To the rest of us it wasn't random at all because Grace had mentioned doing exactly that only a few strips ago. Just because you can't remember something that just happened doesn't make it "out of nowhere".

Of course I'm the only one who was bothered by it when everyone else were distracted by how cute Squirrel Grace looks. Which, by the way is understandable because she really DOES look cute, but that doesn't change the fact that this particular scene, if not the entire arc is, as someone noticed several strips ago, very badly planned, and it gets more obvious with each strip.

The Duck was the first mistake that bothered me. Grace's random comments that did nothing but remind us that she's still there, were fine in the beginning but started getting annoying lately. I had no problem with her phone call, because I heard couples talk like that over the phone, in fact, that was the only strip where she acted like she should. The flashback was fine, but after that we got another one of Grace's annoying and unnecessary throw-in lines, which aren't THAT bad when viewed separately, but as I said before, besides the phone call, her role in the entire arc basically boiled down to throwing one in for no reason. This out-of-the-blue squirrelification if merely the icing.

I'm seriously hoping this is because Dan is focusing on the arc that follows, which (last I checked) was advertised as super special awesome.
If you can see this post, you must be new here.

#106 The Old Hack

The Old Hack

Pundit of Pedantry

• Moderators
  • 5,610 posts
  • Favorite Comic:Girl Genius

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:43 PM

Of course I'm the only one who was bothered by it when everyone else were distracted by how cute Squirrel Grace looks. Which, by the way is understandable because she really DOES look cute, but that doesn't change the fact that this particular scene, if not the entire arc is, as someone noticed several strips ago, very badly planned, and it gets more obvious with each strip.

Obvious to you, maybe. *scratches head* To me at least it hangs quite well together, being focused largely on Susan with a secondary role to Sarah.

The Duck was the first mistake that bothered me. Grace's random comments that did nothing but remind us that she's still there, were fine in the beginning but started getting annoying lately. I had no problem with her phone call, because I heard couples talk like that over the phone, in fact, that was the only strip where she acted like she should. The flashback was fine, but after that we got another one of Grace's annoying and unnecessary throw-in lines, which aren't THAT bad when viewed separately, but as I said before, besides the phone call, her role in the entire arc basically boiled down to throwing one in for no reason. This out-of-the-blue squirrelification if merely the icing.

But as was pointed out, it wasn't out of the blue. It was mentioned several strips ago as being in the cards. I'm afraid that failing to remember this does not turn something not only foreshadowed but clearly stated into 'out of the blue.'
"I'm wrong all the time. It's how I get to right." -- Gil Grissom, CSI

Courtesy rules for the EGS forums may be found here

#107 Wyrd

Wyrd

Obsessive 910 Reader

• Members
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 05:22 PM

Obvious to you, maybe. *scratches head* To me at least it hangs quite well together, being focused largely on Susan with a secondary role to Sarah.

But as was pointed out, it wasn't out of the blue. It was mentioned several strips ago as being in the cards. I'm afraid that failing to remember this does not turn something not only foreshadowed but clearly stated into 'out of the blue.'

Not only clearly stated, but it fits with the entire theme of today's strip: getting ready for bed. Susan has changed into her pajamas. Sarah has changed into her pajamas. Grace has changed into a squirrel. If we had not had the prior strip stating that she planned to sleep as a squirrel to make more room, then it would have been sudden, unexpected, and jarring, but since we had that warning it fits in. By itself that wouldn't be enough to warrant the strip, but Susan also stated that she was going to dismiss the fairy just before going to bed, and the explosive nature of the fairy's dismissal could very readily be important in the next few strips, and if not then then later. Given the nature of EGS, Susan is going to wind up in danger at some point, sooner or later, at which time her little flying lemming of doom could come in very handy.

#108 showler

showler

Extreme 910 Reader

• Members
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:51 PM

I honestly do not understand the "squirrels should be seen and not heard" school of thought regarding Grace's presence on the trip. She's necessary to the storyline later, but that doesn't mean she doesn't exist now.

God, characters who only participate in the storyline at plot required moments make for the most jarring experience possible.

#109 Tricia

Tricia

Wotch Defender

• Members
  • 4,737 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:55 PM

God, characters who only participate in the storyline at plot required moments make for the most jarring experience possible.

Characters who only pop in for random non sequitur jokes just to maintain a presence in the comic makes for the most annoying experience possible.
"Tricia is not the hero we deserve, but the hero we need."
Posted Image
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.

#110 B.T. Isaac

B.T. Isaac

Bi-weekly lurker

• Banned
  • 1,072 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:44 PM

Not only clearly stated, but it fits with the entire theme of today's strip: getting ready for bed.

Which is exactly my problem. They're getting ready for bed when in the previous strip they weren't even mentioning that they would be going to sleep anytime soon. All that was really needed was one or two extra panels somewhere between the the last of the previous strip or the first of the current one, where someone says "We should go to bed" or something like that. But the way things are now, the flow of the story seems broken. I was criticized for making the same mistake in the past, I know what I'm talking about.

Characters who only pop in for random non sequitur jokes just to maintain a presence in the comic makes for the most annoying experience possible.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do agree with that.
If you can see this post, you must be new here.

#111 David

David

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:57 AM

It does start by saying "A bit later" and it fits with the theme of lots of little time skips as nothing interesting happens.

#112 Illjwamh

Illjwamh

Magnificent Heliotrope

• Members
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:07 AM

Which is exactly my problem. They're getting ready for bed when in the previous strip they weren't even mentioning that they would be going to sleep anytime soon. All that was really needed was one or two extra panels somewhere between the the last of the previous strip or the first of the current one, where someone says "We should go to bed" or something like that. But the way things are now, the flow of the story seems broken. I was criticized for making the same mistake in the past, I know what I'm talking about.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do agree with that.

As David points out, the little narration box was there. And the pajamas they're wearing kind of makes it clear they're going to bed.

Illjwamh.png

#113 Dichotomy

Dichotomy

910Neophyte

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 03:48 AM

This may have been mentioned before (sorry, too lazy to read the six pages, but I did skim them and didn't see mention of this), but according to previous comics ( http://www.egscomics...date=2002-03-12 ) Sarah is apparently freakishly strong (or more likely this little bit of trivia was just forgotten, as it was written some tears ago as flavor)

Still, I'm wondering weather this is an oversight, or an official retcon O_o

either way, I don't think I can complain, given how cute the image in panel seven is ^_^

edit: for the record, yes, this is my first ever post :-/ I've been a reader for some time, but never found my way over to the forums until I had something to complain about, sue me.
A few kind words and a gun will get you a lot farther than a few kind words alone - Al Capone

Posted Image

#114 Jake R

Jake R

Obsessive 910 Reader

• Members
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:30 AM

This may have been mentioned before (sorry, too lazy to read the six pages, but I did skim them and didn't see mention of this), but according to previous comics ( http://www.egscomics...date=2002-03-12 ) Sarah is apparently freakishly strong (or more likely this little bit of trivia was just forgotten, as it was written some tears ago as flavor)

Still, I'm wondering weather this is an oversight, or an official retcon O_o

either way, I don't think I can complain, given how cute the image in panel seven is ^_^

edit: for the record, yes, this is my first ever post :-/ I've been a reader for some time, but never found my way over to the forums until I had something to complain about, sue me.

Here's your answer. =)
- Don't give up. Because if you do, they'll take yo' down as well.
---
- It's not a bad thing to be the third wheel: tricycles nor cars can do without one. Just make sure you never, ever become the spare tire.
---
- If you need some starting tips to get your slays just right, please click here.
(All quotes are my own.)

#115 JediMB

JediMB

Transforming 910 Rider

• Members
  • 2,938 posts
  • Interests:All kinds of craziness.

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:38 AM

As David points out, the little narration box was there. And the pajamas they're wearing kind of makes it clear they're going to bed.

The narration box could stand being a bit more pronounced, though. Personally, I don't always notice when they're there.

An entire panel that somehow shows clearly that some time has passed (or is passing) wouldn't be a bad thing, I think.

#116 TBeholder

TBeholder

The Owls Are Not What They Seem

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:24 AM

[quote name='sarahfan' date='12 June 2010 - 07:44 AM' timestamp='1276317864' post='359650'] I disagree. Aside from being able to tease Elliot about sex in the first year of the comic, she's been a complete ditz/moron/possible retard, for about as long as she's been in the strip. [/quote] Now, now, she's at least able to take into account someone's known background to expect the subject's reactions...

[quote name='sarahfan' date='12 June 2010 - 07:44 AM' timestamp='1276317864' post='359650'] "Gosh, why do I have to wear clothes?"[/quote] By the way, it's kind of funny that she got to know only the surface of the issue, but already can use it to dodge questions.

[quote name='sarahfan' date='12 June 2010 - 07:44 AM' timestamp='1276317864' post='359650'] "Golly Tedd I'm so in love with you for no real reason." [/quote] Hmm... What possible reasons you would deem satisfying?

[quote name='B.T. Isaac' date='13 June 2010 - 01:40 AM' timestamp='1276382401' post='359808'] Of course I'm the only one who was bothered by it when everyone else were distracted by how cute Squirrel Grace looks. Which, by the way is understandable because she really DOES look cute, but that doesn't change the fact that this particular scene, if not the entire arc is, as someone noticed several strips ago, very badly planned, and it gets more obvious with each strip. [/quote] Maybe the rest of us just doesn't have the transformation sequence fetish and as such won't consider everything Ruined Forever when an already expected transformation isn't padded stretched onto six panels?..

[quote name='The Old Hack' date='13 June 2010 - 01:43 AM' timestamp='1276382633' post='359809'] It was mentioned several strips ago as being in the cards. I'm afraid that failing to remember this does not turn something not only foreshadowed but clearly stated into 'out of the blue.' [/quote] [quote name='B.T. Isaac' date='13 June 2010 - 01:40 AM' timestamp='1276382401' post='359808'] but as I said before, besides the phone call, her role in the entire arc basically boiled down to throwing one in for no reason. This out-of-the-blue squirrelification if merely the icing. [/quote] Maybe, but probably you're the only one here who reads the comic backwards, remembering the remainder of this arc instead of the beginning. The rest of us is kept in the uncertainty until it's revealed whether she will participate in it any more or not. :eusa_think: Hmm, this theory also explains why you mix flanderization with character development...

[quote name='Dichotomy' date='13 June 2010 - 12:48 PM' timestamp='1276422537' post='359938'] according to previous comics ( http://www.egscomics...date=2002-03-12 ) Sarah is apparently freakishly strong (or more likely this little bit of trivia was just forgotten, as it was written some tears ago as flavor)

Still, I'm wondering weather this is an oversight, or an official retcon O_o [/quote] Neither. It's just gone long ago. Though how much she weights at the moment is a good question.
"For some are guided by tradition, While others use their intuition, And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense" - How to Tell the Birds from the Flowers
"He smelt it—tasted it—smiled benignantly—then said: "It is inferior—for coffee—but it is pretty fair tea." - The Innocents Abroad
"I had an English teacher who described true perversion as knowing something is wrong in some way and then indulging in it anyway, because of its wrongness. He now is the author of a book that gender bent Percy Bysshe Shelley into a modern teenage girl." - Golden Dragon Girl

#117 sarahfan

sarahfan

Supreme 910 Reader

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:40 AM

Wait, I wasn't talking about Grace though...

Ha Ha my apologies. Need to stop drinking!

You were absolutely right before.
On suspension because the moderator thinks I'm too negative about EGS.

#118 Illjwamh

Illjwamh

Magnificent Heliotrope

• Members
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:38 AM

The narration box could stand being a bit more pronounced, though. Personally, I don't always notice when they're there.

Now this I can agree with. I almost always miss those on my first read-through. In fact, the first time I read this strip I was confused about why they kept randomly changing the subject. I had to go back and read it again, notice the timestamp narrations and feel silly.

Illjwamh.png

#119 Yorik

Yorik

910Neophyte

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:20 AM

I've been reading this comic for about two years now, and have never once felt any particular urge to register on the forums. Now, however, I feel obliged to sign up and post just one thing:

Susan in panels 2 and 6 is one of the hottest things I've seen all year.

That is all.

#120 Tricia

Tricia

Wotch Defender

• Members
  • 4,737 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:20 PM

Hmm... What possible reasons you would deem satisfying?

I dunno about sarahfan, but something that took more than 2 hours (in comic) would have been nice. Tedd and Grace getting together was just unnaturally fast, in my opinion.

Yes, I know, she's a shapeshifter, blah blah blah...but going from complete strangers to OMGTOTALLYINLOVE that fast was just...well, too fast.

Susan in panels 2 and 6 is one of the hottest things I've seen all year.

There are no words to express how I feel about this statement.
"Tricia is not the hero we deserve, but the hero we need."
Posted Image
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users