• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
ProfessorTomoe

Story: Wednesday, May 3rd, 2017

I called, sort of.  Elliot is Gender "meh".  Sometimes he feels like a man, some times like a woman, but it's a "whatevs"  Plus his girlfriend is into it.  I'm saying "meh" instead of fluid because Elliot doesn't seem to be quite as driven about is as Tedd. 

"Ocular enhancement" means upgraded eyes. Bigger eyes? Maybe, although Moperverse eyes have grown smaller over time. But I think it will have more to do with seeing things he couldn't see before. Perhaps including those zany spirit-plane lurkers? Perhaps the new spell will be useful at the mall tomorrow night...Although Cheerleadra as a Powerpuff Girl would be so sweet!!!

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

"Ocular enhancement" means upgraded eyes. Bigger eyes? Maybe, although Moperverse eyes have grown smaller over time. But I think it will have more to do with seeing things he couldn't see before. Perhaps including those zany spirit-plane lurkers? Perhaps the new spell will be useful at the mall tomorrow night...Although Cheerleadra as a Powerpuff Girl would be so sweet!!!

Or it could go total the other way and be an (ahem) enhancement that attracts other people's eyes...

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

I called, sort of.  Elliot is Gender "meh".  Sometimes he feels like a man, some times like a woman, but it's a "whatevs"  Plus his girlfriend is into it.  I'm saying "meh" instead of fluid because Elliot doesn't seem to be quite as driven about is as Tedd. 

That's what I've been saying too, Elliot originally had to transform out of necessity and it was inconvenient, but the past couple week's (in comic time) he's started to actually have fun with it and enjoy all the possibilities, he's not ready to give it up so soon.

It is worth noting that Elliot is behaving much like Tedd did early on, coming up with excuses to use female transformations. Will Elliot bake Ellen's 1st birthday cake while in a female form?

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I'm thinking Elliot's now acquired the ability to see as if he was wearing Tedd's glasses. And yes that includes X-Ray vision. The way Elliot says it, it sounds like it might be a separate spell, but it would still fit with the "I want to be Superman" theme so it could be new ability for Cheerleadra in the same way that Nanase's fairy avatar can get new abilities.

3 hours ago, Stature said:

Dan, what is "popato / po-pah-to"?

There's a popular song from a musical (Was it Bye Bye Birdie or Anything Goes?) which starts out, "You say potayto, I say potahto, you say tomayto, I say tomahto...."

37 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

There's a popular song from a musical

"Let's Call the Whole Thing Off", Shall We Dance, 1937, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers on friggin' roller skates. No, I haven't seen that movie. Thanks again , Wikipedia.

How about more eyes? Say, in back of his head (check your mom for these.) Or, particularly if we're going for an Egyptian theme, a flying eye to scout out things at a distance. Horus has one of these. GURPS magic has a couple of standard spells along this line, Wizard's Eye and Invisible Wizard's Eye.

I'm looking at the subtle cues in the art here and... Tedd said they preferred the male form for now, right? Am I looking too much into the line strokes?

Sorry Tom and CK.  Let's Call The Whole Thing Off mentions Potato / Potato.  NOT Potato / PoPato.

I think the Popato is a Native American word for "he who can not spell".

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Relevant detail added

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

I'm thinking Elliot's now acquired the ability to see as if he was wearing Tedd's glasses. And yes that includes X-Ray vision. The way Elliot says it, it sounds like it might be a separate spell, but it would still fit with the "I want to be Superman" theme so it could be new ability for Cheerleadra in the same way that Nanase's fairy avatar can get new abilities.

Ah. "Superman" eyes for Cheerleadra would seem to be the obvious choice.

Do some of these descriptions of what comes up in the spell books sound like something a twelve year old might write if the kid was given a one hundred year old medical encyclopædia and told to describe the spell effects?

This makes me think, despite the appearance of the emissary in Grace's dreams, Magic actually has the mind of a child.

38 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Do some of these descriptions of what comes up in the spell books sound like something a twelve year old might write if the kid was given a one hundred year old medical encyclopædia and told to describe the spell effects?

This makes me think, despite the appearance of the emissary in Grace's dreams, Magic actually has the mind of a child.

To me it seems more like it is writing so there is only 1 valid interpretation, but going into excruciating detail, and using words with more specific meanings. 

Sort of like a pretentions snob writing in such a way that when something does not work the way the user thinks it did, they can point to how that was not a valid interpretation of the text. Using simpler text could easily lead to multiple valid interpretations, causing people to use spells in the wrong way and create unwanted side effects. 

3 hours ago, Sjmcc13 said:

To me it seems more like it is writing so there is only 1 valid interpretation, but going into excruciating detail, and using words with more specific meanings. 

Sort of like a pretentions snob writing in such a way that when something does not work the way the user thinks it did, they can point to how that was not a valid interpretation of the text. Using simpler text could easily lead to multiple valid interpretations, causing people to use spells in the wrong way and create unwanted side effects. 

This make sense, and is relatively the same logic behind legalese. Describe everything in as exact and precise terms as possible to prevent unintended interpretations of important contracts and laws and such from occuring.

40 minutes ago, WillofLava said:

Strange comic this Wednesday, their mouths are open, so it looks like they're talking, but there's no dialogue.

The Moderator: If this was a joke, it did not strike me as funny. If it is some puerile attempt at trolling, be advised that I do not have much patience with that. In either case, there are strict limits to how much nonsense I tolerate before I start to take action against it.

47 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

The Moderator: If this was a joke, it did not strike me as funny. If it is some puerile attempt at trolling, be advised that I do not have much patience with that. In either case, there are strict limits to how much nonsense I tolerate before I start to take action against it.

Because they're whispering in the comic, I made a joke as if I was a bystander (as readers essentially are) who couldn't hear them.

2 minutes ago, WillofLava said:

Because they're whispering in the comic, I made a joke as if I was a bystander (as readers essentially are) who couldn't hear them.

The Moderator: All right. My apologies for the sensitivity. You inadvertently echoed a past troll; this was not your fault.

ETA: (In case you wonder about this mess of colours, by poster request here I am posting ordinary messages in blue and cautions and warnings in red. It avoids certain kinds of confusion.)

There's one bystander shown, the half-a-girl who's squeezed into the left side of the second panel. I wonder why she's there at all. Unless she's much taller, she can't be very far behind Elliot, and should be close enough to catch at least some of what Elliot and Tedd are saying. She doesn't have those three little lines as in here and here, but what we can see of her expression doesn't rule out surprise, and her head is turned so that her ear is showing. And look where Elliot's eye's are. To me, it looks like he just squeezed around that girl, and that she's sort of frozen in place, maybe because she also heard what Elliot and Tedd said in the first panel, where there wasn't enough space left for even half-a-girl and her three little lines.

Maybe this isn't the first time we've seen her with Elliot?

And besides that, what about the grassy knoll?

Edited by Tom Sewell
Got link wrong.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:
13 hours ago, mlooney said:

That's what I've been saying too, Elliot originally had to transform out of necessity and it was inconvenient, but the past couple week's (in comic time) he's started to actually have fun with it and enjoy all the possibilities, he's not ready to give it up so soon.

It is worth noting that Elliot is behaving much like Tedd did early on, coming up with excuses to use female transformations.

... looking at it like this, it does actually suggest that transforming to woman can make person gender fluid. I wouldn't be surprised if Edward reached this conclusion. It's true that Ellen adapted at being female relatively easily, but I would still say that Elliot is not really gender fluid and just enjoys the transformation fun and doesn't mind that it means being female because he can't do male forms.

I think Elliot takes "being girl" as something to do and doesn't generally do something else while being girl unless he specifically wants to try how that feels. (Not counting sleeping which he MUST do. Or at least HAD to, it's possible he no longer needs to but considers the transforming before bed and teasing Ellen too much fun to admit it to her.)

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

It can be separate spell which can be used with or without Cheerleadra form and still match the theme. Unlike Nanase's guardian form, Cheerleadra doesn't prevent Elliot from casting more spells.

Note that while X-Ray vision (the superman one OR real X-Ray) seems like obvious option, I would assume more something like augmented reality or zoom. Or maybe all of them. (Tedd's glasses DID also have zoom, right?)

3 hours ago, Drasvin said:
6 hours ago, Sjmcc13 said:

This make sense, and is relatively the same logic behind legalese. Describe everything in as exact and precise terms as possible to prevent unintended interpretations of important contracts and laws and such from occuring.

It's interesting how lawyers mastered the art of writing something which LOOKS like this and STILL has multiple interpretations.

10 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

She doesn't have those three little lines as in here and here, but what we can see of her expression doesn't rule out surprise, and her head is turned so that her ear is showing.

I actually think that she's talking to someone else. And Elliot is looking if she's far enough so he can speak.

14 hours ago, mlooney said:

My guess has been that Elliot is cis-genderless/cis-by-default.  He doesn't seem to care (at least maybe until this comic) that much about being male or female in general, but rather about how people will react to him transforming.  He thinks people will make fun of him, and he didn't like that it was causing problems with his relationship with Sarah, but now Ashley and one of the griffins likes him for it.

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Sorry Tom and CK.  Let's Call The Whole Thing Off mentions Potato / Potato.  NOT Potato / PoPato.

I think the Popato is a Native American word for "he who can not spell".

Isn't popato a type of chisp?

12 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
28 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

She doesn't have those three little lines as in here and here, but what we can see of her expression doesn't rule out surprise, and her head is turned so that her ear is showing.

I actually think that she's talking to someone else. And Elliot is looking if she's far enough so he can speak.

First of all, you quoted me before I corrected the link from the first here.

Second, my first impression was that half-girl-with-pigtail was talking to someone out-of-frame. Unlike the lady with three short lines in the first here, her eyes are not rolled toward Elliot. There's still no compelling reason to assume otherwise.

Yet.

But what makes me think that half-girl-with-pigtail actually might be important later is that she's drawn with some care, and in a strip where I think Dan was under more time pressure to meet his schedule thanks to the flooding. Just a grayed-out faceless figure or two would have indicated there were at least a few other people in the corridor, and would have been faster to draw. Everything else besides Elliot and Tedd is grayed out.